Hall Of Fame

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont know the exact details, so I got a question. If Peppers continues his performance, its quite likely he'd be entered. The question is, who would have claim to him as its not like we got him before 1 or 2 years before he retires? For example, in Farves case, Packers would have more claim to Farve imo right? But in Peppers case, will we have the legit claim to Peppers? Or would the Panthers? Or both? Or depending on his performance with both teams? Just curious as hell lol

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Panthers will get him. Sad to say, but the Peppers we have, is merely a shadow of his old self and he's not going to get much better, if at all.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
I dont know the exact details, so I got a question. If Peppers continues his performance, its quite likely he'd be entered. The question is, who would have claim to him as its not like we got him before 1 or 2 years before he retires? For example, in Farves case, Packers would have more claim to Farve imo right? But in Peppers case, will we have the legit claim to Peppers? Or would the Panthers? Or both? Or depending on his performance with both teams? Just curious as hell lol

For starters the pro football hall of fame does not force players to enter as a member of a certain team. The busts have underneath them a list of all their team credentials. However, players are usually unofficially associated with a specific team. Using your example of Favre, he will without question "go in as a Packer."

There are exceptions. For example Reggie White. White spent 8 years with the Eagles and 6 with the Packers with about equal success in both stints (save that he won a super bowl with Green Bay). Both the Eagles and the Packers consider him to be a hall of famer from their team (Packers: Team » Green Bay Packers Eagles: Team » Philadelphia Eagles).

As for Peppers, it depends. There's no formula for deciding this sort of issue, but I'd say the Bears would have a "partial claim" over him if he ended up spending a similar amount of seasons in Chicago. He spent 8 with Carolina, so at least 6 would probably be required for him to be a "Bear hall of famer." Also, he'd have to continue to be an elite defensive player for all those years with the Bears. The other factor that could affect what team he's perceived to be associated with is if he wins an accolade such as defensive player of the year with the Bears and/or wins a super bowl with them.

In all likelihood, Peppers would be going in as both a Panther and a Bear, but the Bears would still be able to count him towards their hall of fame number (currently 26).

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats what I figured. I really cant see Peppers being elite for the rest of his years. I had a hunch that if he had won DPoY or a SB he'd get a tad bit more of a nod in our favor. Much like Reggie White as you mentioned. It'd be great if he can continue at a high level and solidify a reason for us to be entitled to co-claim him. But thanks, that was bugging me lol. Ive never been to Canton, even tho its only a freaking state away lol

WearShades

Liked Posts:
Thats what I figured. I really cant see Peppers being elite for the rest of his years. I had a hunch that if he had won DPoY or a SB he'd get a tad bit more of a nod in our favor. Much like Reggie White as you mentioned. It'd be great if he can continue at a high level and solidify a reason for us to be entitled to co-claim him. But thanks, that was bugging me lol. Ive never been to Canton, even tho its only a freaking state away lol

Go to Canton. It's a great experience.

As for Peppers expected decline, I'm not as convinced he won't have a shot at being elite for long enough to get Bear consideration. He's the kind of player who shouldn't be hit as hard by age as most. I'd expect at least two more very high level years out of him, and if during that time he gets either a DPoY nod or he gets a SB appearance with Chicago, he'll likely be considered a Bear when he goes to the hall.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I dont see him losing any talent anytime soon. With the right pieces, next year will be another good opportunity. I'd count him as a Bear.. to hell with the Panthers lol

WearShades

Liked Posts:
Yeah I dont see him losing any talent anytime soon. With the right pieces, next year will be another good opportunity. I'd count him as a Bear.. to hell with the Panthers lol

A little too soon to be counting him as a Bear, but it may be reasonable in five years.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't understand the point of this discussion. He will go into the Hall of Fame as "Julius Peppers" and his bust will list the years he played for the Panthers and the years he played for the Bears.

According to the Pro Football Hall of Fame's official website:
Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization. Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time. An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I don't understand the point of this discussion. He will go into the Hall of Fame as Julius Peppers and his bust will list the years he p[layed for the Panthers and the years he played for the Bears.

It's just because most people think of the HoF of all sports being the way it is for baseball where they have one team chosen they go in as apart of which is ridiculous, especially in baseball of all sports.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
I don't understand the point of this discussion. He will go into the Hall of Fame as "Julius Peppers" and his bust will list the years he played for the Panthers and the years he played for the Bears.

We know. This was discussed already.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
We know. This was discussed already.

It was alluded to in post #3, I know. I was just trying to clarify because some people are still wondering if we can count him as a Bear.

A little too soon to be counting him as a Bear, but it may be reasonable in five years.

We can count him as a Bear, now because ...

He IS a Bear.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well didnt mean to cause a stir with anyone due to my curiousity. But I do appreciate the debate as I did learn what I asked for. Though I wouldve thought there wouldve been some form of clain on their bust, hence why we claim 26 guys lol. That and wouldve really figured it'd have Bears all over the bust with Payton, even tho anyone with knowledge knows that hes ours. Mostly due to those that dont know everyone that would visit Canton. I really wanna go there now...

WearShades

Liked Posts:
Well didnt mean to cause a stir with anyone due to my curiousity. But I do appreciate the debate as I did learn what I asked for. Though I wouldve thought there wouldve been some form of clain on their bust, hence why we claim 26 guys lol. That and wouldve really figured it'd have Bears all over the bust with Payton, even tho anyone with knowledge knows that hes ours. Mostly due to those that dont know everyone that would visit Canton. I really wanna go there now...

As I remember it they have a career synopsis to go with each bust. Fear not, anyone looking at Payton's bust will know he was a Bear.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's how the HOF handles players who played for multiple teams. This is George Blanda's bust:
2280528049_53ae8dfa38.jpg

It's a little hard to read but you can see under his name it lists the years he played for the Bears, Baltimore Colts, Houston Oilers and Oakland Raiders.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
So whos all been there? Most importantly, do they charge out the ass? lol

AlecBoy006

Liked Posts:
This kind of reminds me of Halladay and the Phillies.

Halladay is likely to go in as a Blue Jays unless he wins multiple Cy Youngs and Multiple World Series in Philadelphia.

If Peppers can win a couple of Super Bowls here and maybe 2-3 defensive player of the year awards, I can see it; but he has to move quick.

WearShades

Liked Posts:
This kind of reminds me of Halladay and the Phillies.

Halladay is likely to go in as a Blue Jays unless he wins multiple Cy Youngs and Multiple World Series in Philadelphia.

If Peppers can win a couple of Super Bowls here and maybe 2-3 defensive player of the year awards, I can see it; but he has to move quick.

He'd still be considered a Panther hall of famer as well.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Counting Peppers as a Bear after one season would be like counting Doug Atkins as a Saint.

Yeah, You're right. Everybody knows Doug Atkins was a Bear. Nobody would count him as a Saints Hall of Famer.

... except the Saints!

Official Site of the New Orleans Saints
Saints Hall of Fame Inductees

1995--Bob Pollard (DE) and Doug Atkins (DE)

How can their official website list him as a "Saints Hall of Fame Inductee" just because he is a Hall of Fame Inductee who played for the Saints?

WearShades

Liked Posts:
Yeah, You're right. Everybody knows Doug Atkins was a Bear. Nobody would count him as a Saints Hall of Famer.

... except the Saints!

Official Site of the New Orleans Saints

How can their official website list him as a "Saints Hall of Fame Inductee" just because he is a Hall of Fame Inductee who played for the Saints?

Apparently he's listed as a HoFer for there teams:

Franchises

Like I mentioned earlier, there are no official rules for determining who has claim to a hall of famer.