Have the last few weeks vindicated Pace?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It means you're lucky to be in a trash conference.
That doesn't hold water at all. There are sixteen other teams "lucky" enough to be in the NFC yet the Bears are one of the six who hold their own destiny in their hands. And its not like we got to feast on crummy NFC East competition like the NFC West did, either.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Anthony Miller and Adam Shaheen disagree - I hate the term 'bust' because it's not objective at all. But to trade up for two guys who 1) aren't contributers or 2) on the team says a lot. So let's give him 5 out of 7, still pretty decent. Want to discuss is free agency?

I'm open to discussing it. Quinn was a disaster signing and the Foles move was bad all around, even if that was a coaches directed decision - Pace executed that move.

Arob and Hicks are pro bowl player FA signings, and Fuller was matched off a free agent contract and was a pro bowler. The original Trevethan signing was a very good. The safeties have been fine as was Prince A. for the first time around, and Pace has been good getting rotational d-lineman. Mustipher and Bars are successful free agent signings. Gabriel was a pretty good signing. Massie average at best. Mike Davis last year was a great signing, but we have a coach who couldn't use him. Burton was good for the year he was healthy, and say what you want but Graham has been a good signing this year.

People throw Glennon around and as bad as he suck(s)ed, he didn't hurt the franchise in any way. I have no issue with a crappy one year signing.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I stopped reading after your first sentence.

I can blame pace for a lot of things, but the second I see someone blaming him for Kevin White, who did not have an injury history in college, I tune out because I know whoever is making that argument is an idiot.
The guy showed up to camp with a stress fracture .....idiot!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Shaheen a #3 TE with 11 catches on the season.

Mooney is going to finish this year with stats just about equal to Miller's average over his first three years.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm open to discussing it. Quinn was a disaster signing and the Foles move was bad all around, even if that was a coaches directed decision - Pace executed that move.

Arob and Hicks are pro bowl player FA signings, and Fuller was matched off a free agent contract and was a pro bowler. The original Trevethan signing was a very good. The safeties have been fine as was Prince A. for the first time around, and Pace has been good getting rotational d-lineman. Mustipher and Bars are successful free agent signings. Gabriel was a pretty good signing. Massie average at best. Mike Davis last year was a great signing, but we have a coach who couldn't use him. Burton was good for the year he was healthy, and say what you want but Graham has been a good signing this year.

People throw Glennon around and as bad as he suck(s)ed, he didn't hurt the franchise in any way. I have no issue with a crappy one year signing.
Shame that Taylor Gabriel's career ended when it did. He was really coming alive with the Bears, just fit effortlessly into the offense. Bears have been missing a pure speed guy like that ever since, though Mooney has kind of filled that role.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
That doesn't hold water at all. There are sixteen other teams "lucky" enough to be in the NFC yet the Bears are one of the six who hold their own destiny in their hands. And its not like we got to feast on crummy NFC East competition like the NFC West did, either.

One of those teams is going to be in the playoffs under .500. The final team likely gets in at 8-8. That's not a ringing endorsement of a strong conference.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
One of those teams is going to be in the playoffs under .500. The final team likely gets in at 8-8. That's not a ringing endorsement of a strong conference.
Right, the NFC East sucks. But the Bears played only one NFC East team, so they were not the beneficiary of that sucktitude the way teams in that own division or the NFC West were.

If the NFC were just an easy-mode "show up to win" conference then the Vikings, Panthers, 49ers (even despite the injuries they are a decent team) should all theoretically still be in the hunt. But they aren't. Also the most likely scenario is that the last two wild card teams in the NFC both finish 9-7. The only way an 8-8 team makes it is if the Bears and Cardinals both lose.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
We are in cap hell and barely there to make the playoffs. Idk wtf franchise you have been following since pace took over but it just looks like slightly better dog shit than emerys vision
Myth. Everyone is in cap hell except oddly the Colts (who have been playing the rollover game), so the Bears position really isn't that bad.

Comparing this to Emery is laughable. Pace drafts more NFL talent in a single draft with no first-round picks than Emery did his entire tenure.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
We are in cap hell and barely there to make the playoffs. Idk wtf franchise you have been following since pace took over but it just looks like slightly better dog shit than emerys vision
Neither of these statements are true. This roster compared to Emery's is night and day in talent. If the Bears are in cap hell than so is half the league and most good teams are in worse shape than them. The Bears have the most cap space next year than any team in our division. If you want to see cap hell go look at what the Saints, Rams, Eagles, Packers, Falcons, and Chiefs are facing next year.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Right, the NFC East sucks. But the Bears played only one NFC East team, so they were not the beneficiary of that sucktitude the way teams in that own division or the NFC West were.

If the NFC were just an easy-mode "show up to win" conference then the Vikings, Panthers, 49ers (even despite the injuries they are a decent team) should all theoretically still be in the hunt. But they aren't. Also the most likely scenario is that the last two wild card teams in the NFC both finish 9-7. The only way an 8-8 team makes it is if the Bears and Cardinals both lose.

This is some pretty hard pretzel logic. Vikings, Panthers, 49ers are part of the suckage bringing down the NFC.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This offense has not looked nearly as talentless once Lazor installed his offense. And while this has been accomplished against weaker opponents, that is exactly what you are supposed to do to weak opponents.. hang 30-40 points on them.

-The patchwork O-line is run blocking fairly nicely, with practice squad Mustipher and free agent Ifedi playing well. With 2 starters on injured reserve, this unit is run blocking well. Maybe it wasn't as horrible as everybody thought it was. Add a healthy Daniels next year and upgrade Leno and that could be a solid OL.

-Monty is 4th in the league in all purpose yards for a RB. That's excellent for a 3rd round pick. He has done a fantastic job the last few weeks after finally getting a little help with the playcalling and OL.

-WR group? A-Rob is a stud, we all know that. Mooney, right now he has the 7th highest receiving yards for a rookie, even though he was the 25th WR selected. Graham has more TDs this year than in the last 2 combined with Green Bay. All this while having to play half a season with Foles and 3/4 of a season with Nagy calling plays. Wow.

-Mitch. Sitting at 17th in the league in QBR at 95.3. Probably could have squeaked out at least one more win if Nagy wouldn't have put Foles and his stellar 80.8 QBR in.

Its too bad our defense is playing without our nose tackle and with our 3 pass rushers banged up. I think we would have a chance if those guys were healthy. Tons of respect for Mack and Hicks who have suited up clearly not at 100%. Give me this offense, and that early season defense that kept the Bucs and the Colts to less than 20 points, and I would give this team a shot to do some damage.
It's still a Nagy installed offense. Lazor ONLY calls the plays. The game plan installed for the week is Nagy's

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This is some pretty hard pretzel logic. Vikings, Panthers, 49ers are part of the suckage bringing down the NFC.
No, its actually very simple logic. If the NFC sucks so much then it sucks for everyone in the NFC. The path is easy for everybody. Yet here the Bears are one of the only six teams in the conference in charge of their own destiny.

Fact is there is basically one elite team in the NFL these days, the Chiefs. Now that the age of the great quarterbacks is in its twilight and the Patriots dynasty appears to be closed the league's make-up is changing.

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
It's still a Nagy installed offense. Lazor ONLY calls the plays. The game plan installed for the week is Nagy's
It’s a collaboration from what I hear and I’d probably guess Lazor has significant input and is also teaching him a thing or two. Lazor’s resume is a lot more robust than Nagy’s. Nagy’s salesmanship probably got him promoted quicker.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
He has legit stopped trying to be physical. I loved the pick, thought it was a steal of that draft. Questioned the extension for that much, but wow he has fallen off a cliff. When you watch the games, watch him he is half assing it.

How much is that because the D-Line is hurt? Some other DBs have been hurt, too. Johnson's out, and that also factors in some.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
IMO,the last few weeks might have vindicated Pace if.......
He didn't draft a guy with a broken leg with his first #1 pick here.
If he didn't throw a ridiculous deal at a QB that we saw again yesterday barely belongs in the league.
If he didn't throw a ridiculous deal at a kicker who continues to prove he sucks for the Browns and not only cost the team a first round buy.........he ended up costing the team the game he forced them to play too.
If he didn't ridiculously spend assets to move up so he could draft a QB who was slotted mid round at best while passing on two future greats. This decision has and will continue to hamper the team for years and years.
Mack's a difference maker(most of the time)but those missed 1st and 2nd round picks will leave a mark too. If you're gonna make a player the highest paid at his position,why not pick that player up on the FA market instead of paying the money AND parting with picks on top of it.
If he didn't throw another ridiculous deal at a QB who's mediocre at best and that's only when he's healthy.
If he didn't throw more stupid money at a pass rusher Dallas had no further use for. I dunno but every time I watch the Rams,I see Floyd make more plays in that game alone than this Quinn guy's made all year.
The last few opponents haven't exploited the O-line which Pace has all but ignored but good teams will.
And then we have the team's best receiver by a mile and a half about to go FA because Pace has waisted the necessary money to sign him or just doesn't want to.
He's also the visionary who hired the offensive genius who's seen his OC greatly outperform him at calling plays.
It'll take a trip to the conference finals to vindicate Pace IMO.........at least!
wow, I stopped half way! You have so much WRONG info. posted

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
IMO the big knocks against Pace are:

* He has a very bad habit of spending (wasting IMO) draft resources to move up to grab "his guys". Drafting is a gamble by nature, and good GMs rarely trade up - you want to maximize the amount of dice rolls you get on players because some will bust out from factors outside of anyones control (injury, illness, family related issues).

* While he is good at finding undervalued FAs and mid round talents in the draft, he has a bad track record with his high picks and has a concerning amount of busts from high valued FAs who should be a known quantity. Missing on the big ticket/big money items is a not a great trait to have when thats the normal place franchises go for cornerstone players.

* He has a few concerning habits with contracts, both rewarding his own guys above likely market value and drawing out their garaunteed money into multiple years to save cap now - this is going to be subjective because we only see the contracts that players sign and rarely the ones they turn down, but the Bears have a handful of "WTF were you thinking" contracts on players that would very likely not see that amount elsewhere, and a disappointing amount of under performing players on contracts that will take 2-3 seasons to get the dead money to a point where moving on is palatable.

He definitely has his strengths though, as mentioned he is one of the best at finding under-valued players in FA and draft; he has turned the Bears into a destination for big FAs despite ownership that has a "rocky past" to put it mildly with the NFLPA and ex-players. One of what I use to think was his biggest flaw (philosophy on building OL) I am more and more starting to see as a reaction to Nagy and less as his own fault. Pace has an awful track record with identifying QBs - but outside of picking the next QB for the Bears, i'm getting more and more comfortable with him making every other decision. Looking at the GM situation from a macro level - im not sure who I have less faith in: Pace to pick next QB or McCaskeys to pick next GM.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Myth. Everyone is in cap hell except oddly the Colts (who have been playing the rollover game), so the Bears position really isn't that bad.
LOL no they're not. There are only 12 other teams who are stressed financially or in the red. I'll give him a pass on the Covid affect, but how about bringing in his yes man for contract negotiations and kicking Cliff Stein, regarded as one of the best in the business, to some shit office role?