Hawks Acquire Christian Ehrhoff

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One other aspect to consider is "misery loves company."

If we are going to be saddled with a 1,250,000 penalty, might as well saddle our biggest rival with the same!! hahahahaha. Now the Kings are penalized, Hawks happy. Scuds contract is finally low enough to stay in NHL, Scuds happy.

Kings rest Drew. Everybody a little happier.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
One other aspect to consider is "misery loves company."

If we are going to be saddled with a 1,250,000 penalty, might as well saddle our biggest rival with the same!! hahahahaha. Now the Kings are penalized, Hawks happy. Scuds contract is finally low enough to stay in NHL, Scuds happy.

Kings rest Drew. Everybody a little happier.

I actually thought that was the weirdest part, you don't often see a trade (i could be totally misremembering this and probably am) between two teams in direct battle for the top. It's bad enough to trade within division, but I'd consider the Kings to be the direct competitor at this point or at least one of them. Of course when you are just swishing around garbage it doesn't really matter it's not like any real pieces were traded. Maybe this was really just a case of Scud's asking to go back somehow. and this was the only way to get it done.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From NHL.com you can see from the career stats that we got the far more skilled guy, and skill may actually fit with what we do. Scud is 4 important years older, and his numbers have completely fallen off.

The Chicago Blackhawks acquired defenseman Christian Ehrhoff on Friday from the Los Angeles Kings for defenseman Rob Scuderi.

Ehrhoff, 33, had two goals and 10 points in 40 games for the Kings this season. He was recently assigned to their American Hockey League affiliate in Ontario, where he had three assists in five games.

Ehrhoff has 74 goals and 337 points in 781 regular-season games for the San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks, Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins and Kings. He has seven goals and 34 points in 73 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Scuderi, 37, won the Stanley Cup with the Kings in 2012. He has four assists in 42 games this season for the Pittsburgh Penguins and Blackhawks. He was acquired by Chicago on Dec. 14 for defenseman Trevor Daley and was scoreless in 17 games before being assigned to Rockford of the AHL.

Scuderi has eight goals and 104 points in 762 regular-season games for the Penguins, Kings and Blackhawks. He has one goal and 14 points in 117 playoff games, also winning the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2009.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
From NHL.com you can see from the career stats that we got the far more skilled guy, and skill may actually fit with what we do. Scud is 4 important years older, and his numbers have completely fallen off.

Throw the career stats out the window and anything else that comes with it - they don't matter. This wasn't a hockey trade, this was a salary cap trade.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Well they were interested in signing Ehrhoff last year, but his run with Pitt wasn't very good and he's been awful apart from pp play for the Kings pretty much.

I don't think he fits ahead of Gus, unless Gus continues to kinda regress.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Seems like it's largely a wash between the two salary hits here, after the retained portions.

I don't think either is that good anymore, but I'd rather have a guy with some puck-movability in his career highlights (Ehrhoff) then a guy who's just big, old and slow.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Weird thing with Ehrhoff has always been the massive swings in +/- (which is the only stat that really matters for a Dman). He's been as high as +36 and as low as -27, that's some epic inconsistency.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree and think this was a hockey move that made sense for both teams. Both will roster in NHL for periods this season going forward, when they would not have.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Weird thing with Ehrhoff has always been the massive swings in +/- (which is the only stat that really matters for a Dman). He's been as high as +36 and as low as -27, that's some epic inconsistency.

I can't tell if the bolded portion is sarcasm or not...

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Seems like it's largely a wash between the two salary hits here, after the retained portions.

I don't think either is that good anymore, but I'd rather have a guy with some puck-movability in his career highlights (Ehrhoff) then a guy who's just big, old and slow.

Hey fucker, you leave ole Stegosaurus alone

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I can't tell if the bolded portion is sarcasm or not...

It's not sarcasm. Unless you're talking about a true offensive Dman I don't care nearly as much about goals or assists as I do +/-. +/- tells you a lot more about a defender's proficiency than any other of the normal stats out there.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
It's not sarcasm. Unless you're talking about a true offensive Dman I don't care nearly as much about goals or assists as I do +/-. +/- tells you a lot more about a defender's proficiency than any other of the normal stats out there.

+/- tells a story...a very little story. It is a terrible stat to solely go off of. So much more goes into +/- and so much of that +/- is out of the control of the player who receives the +/-. It tells a story but nowhere near the entire story of a player.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:

No it doesn't.
It just means he was on the ice for a goal more than he wasn't.
+/- is one of the most misleading stats in hockey.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...Runblaad led the team in + last year didn't he?

But at the same time, when Rozy makes a stretch pass that matters. its offense. If you go into the box, it matters. You get penalized.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No it doesn't.
It just means he was on the ice for a goal more than he wasn't.
+/- is one of the most misleading stats in hockey.

Yeah, most fans don't get the fact that a guy can be doing a great job in coverage but his partner completely blows his assignment...a goal is scored. Both guys, along with the forwards are tagged with a minus. It's really a dumb stat in such a team oriented sport.