Help Me in understanding football:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator29

Lucky Charm
Liked Posts:
I didn't get chance to watch the full game on Patriots vs. Jet Game. I was able to watch only first quarter and last part of fourth quarter. I didn't get full converison on this game. Anyway, I have some question to understanding football.
Questions:
1. What is difference between flags and penalties decision making?
2. How does field goal points work?
3. What is difference between rush and pass yards?
4. How they calcuated turnover ratio?
I have more question to figure if I will post here.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't get chance to watch the full game on Patriots vs. Jet Game. I was able to watch only first quarter and last part of fourth quarter. I didn't get full converison on this game. Anyway, I have some question to understanding football.
Questions:
1. What is difference between flags and penalties decision making?

A "flag" is thrown when an infraction of the rules occurs (a penalty). The flag is generally thrown so that it lands as close to the foul as possible. When a penalty occurs, the other team usually has the option of accepting the penalty or taking the result of the play. Some Penalties must be accepted because they occur when the ball is not in play. Offsides (usually called encroachment when the defense does it and a False start when the offense does it) and Unsportsmanlike conduct are 2 such examples. Some penalties are added to the end of the play, some are "spot fouls" and are marked off where the penalty occurred and some result in loss of yardage and loss of down.

For specific examples click here

2. How does field goal points work?

A field goal is worth 3 points. It occurs when a team is unable to run or pass the ball across the goal line and elects to Kick the ball through the "uprights" (goalposts) If the field goal is missed the other team gets the ball at the spot where the ball was kicked from, usually about 17 or 18 yards behind the original line of scrimmage. See here

3. What is difference between rush and pass yards?

Rushing yards are gained (or lossed) when the quarterback hands the ball to a running back or other player. Passing yards are gained when he throws the ball to another player.

4. How they calcuated turnover ratio?

This is just the number of times one team throws an interception or fumbles and the other team recovers it, minus the number of times the other team does it.

I have more question to figure if I will post here.

Don't hesitate to ask. For a better understanding of the game check out American Football Rules and American Football

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well said! Also the only time they kick through the uprights(goal post) is P.A.T., Point After Touchdown. Its worth only 1 point. Touchdowns are 6, plus PAT, thats how we get 7 points. However in certain scenarios, teams go for a 2 point converion instead of the PAT, making 8 points.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Nothing is more beautiful then somebody learning football. I remember when I used to punt PAT's on Madden and wondered why I never got points counted lol

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
Nothing is more beautiful then somebody learning football. I remember when I used to punt PAT's on Madden and wondered why I never got points counted lol

learning football = liking football

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ack, double post. Never saw the 1st one go through. Via mobile has its disadvantages.. But lol Rush.

Last edited:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I did the same thing. :facepalm:

Gator29

Lucky Charm
Liked Posts:
Thank You for TopekaRay to answering my questions well. I'm learning a lot about football from your comments and it makes more fun to watch the game now. Nobody don't want teach football in my life because they had made excuses towards me. I love the support from the forum. This is first time that I could have open discussion about learning Football first.

Status
Not open for further replies.