CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I heard that Saad was an odd choice to be left off the Olympic roster because of the size of the rink. My question being, how much different are the dimensions of the rink, and how does that affect offensive/defensive strategy?

If how Saad would be a compliment to this style of play is included, that would also be appreciated.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Don't know size specifics but they are using the European style larger rinks. It changes some style to more quicker open ice passing.

You'll want guys with speed to move around and a Guy like Saad who can skate and use his body some, could of been a good option on a lower line to play grinder role.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Don't know size specifics but they are using the European style larger rinks. It changes some style to more quicker open ice passing.

You'll want guys with speed to move around and a Guy like Saad who can skate and use his body some, could of been a good option on a lower line to play grinder role.

Are the dimensions of the goal/crease different?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Are the dimensions of the goal/crease different?

Goal size no, that's the same... Crease, I don't think so.

There's a bunch of other safety rules that are stricter in the olympics too. But it's not a vast difference for non frequent hockey followers.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Ice_hockey_layout.svg

The most noticeable difference is that the International rinks are about 15 feet wider. This puts more of an importance on speed, as there's a lot more space for on-rushing forwards to walk right around opposing defensemen. I think that's been the biggest argument in Saad's favor, because he's been blowing past NHL defensemen since he came into the league last year. And with more room to work, you'd have to imagine it'd only happen more.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
For the simplest explanation, the International style is more focused on speed and skill and is a much more open game than the North American style of hockey you see in the NHL.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Also believe the International rink has no "restricted zone" for goalies, like in the NHL. Those corners behind the net where the goalies can't touch the puck.