How about Brandon Doughty for our future QB

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I do not believe there has been too much written about Brandon Doughty of WKU. My brother who is a big college fan has been talking about this guy for weeks. He likes him much better that Jared Goff who my brother is not too impressed by.

My first two criteria when evaluating a QB is smarts and accuracy. Then I go from there. It seems like every time I read about this guy or her interviews on TV about him smart is always included in the conversation. Obviously he is killing it against lower echelon teams similar in stature to his own.

At this point for my money he would be my number one choice to draft and groom if our team can get him. Of course if he does well against LSU then presumably his rankings will go up maybe very up. For now Kiper has him ranked as the 8th best QB.

So I am very curious what the "college experts" around here think of this guy especially after the LSU game.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I do not believe there has been too much written about Brandon Doughty of WKU. My brother who is a big college fan has been talking about this guy for weeks. He likes him much better that Jared Goff who my brother is not too impressed by.

My first two criteria when evaluating a QB is smarts and accuracy. Then I go from there. It seems like every time I read about this guy or her interviews on TV about him smart is always included in the conversation. Obviously he is killing it against lower echelon teams similar in stature to his own.

At this point for my money he would be my number one choice to draft and groom if our team can get him. Of course if he does well against LSU then presumably his rankings will go up maybe very up. For now Kiper has him ranked as the 8th best QB.

So I am very curious what the "college experts" around here think of this guy especially after the LSU game.

I was going to make a post of underrated draft eligible guys that nobody's talking about. He was going to be on it.

Doughty kinda has a McCown (both of them) vibe to him. He's certainly a capable QB, but doesn't really have any special traits. He has decent, not great size (6'3", 216). He has a decent, not great arm. He has decent mobility. What he is known for is his leadership and command of the huddle and the offense. He plays in a spread like most college QBs, but really has a good grasp on what his coach wants him to do. He does make multiple reads and does so pretty quickly. I watched him vs. Indiana and another game (on draft breakdown) and he routinely went to this 2nd and 3rd reads with no problems. He throws from a strong base and has a very short, quick release. He is extremely accurate, hitting on almost 3/4 of his passes this year. Probably a mid-round pick like McCown was. And like him, he looks like a solid backup who wouldn't necessarily be a disaster as a starter.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I'd like Doughty as a possible Day 3 selection, but I'd rather have Jacoby Brissett instead.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
As an IU alum, I've seen probably 90% of Sudfeld's starts. He's a decent prospect. I don't know that he's an NFL starter, but he definitely looks the part physically. He has the size (6'5", 240), has good mobility for that size, has a very strong arm. But he definitely needs some time. He plays in a gimmicky offense and doesn't take snaps under center. He doesn't routinely make a lot of reads and progressions. Another concern is that he's only started 1 full season. Definitely a developmental guy, I think he's similar to a Zach Mettenberger, maybe a poor man's version with more mobility.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is it weird that I continue to be impressed by Nate Sudfield?

Played a strong game against Michigan St with a bad team.
Has the build and arm.

Seems to be an interesting player flying way under the radar.

Draft him and sit him for a couple of seasons and let him learn.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, I know that but Cook is far more developed imo, it'd be like one year on the bench for Cook vs multiple years for Sudfeld.

That's fine.

Cutler is playing well, he is actually becoming cheap, and the Bears are not going to be ready to compete for a couple of seasons.

Bears93

Liked Posts:
As an IU alum, I've seen probably 90% of Sudfeld's starts. He's a decent prospect. I don't know that he's an NFL starter, but he definitely looks the part physically. He has the size (6'5", 240), has good mobility for that size, has a very strong arm. But he definitely needs some time. He plays in a gimmicky offense and doesn't take snaps under center. He doesn't routinely make a lot of reads and progressions. Another concern is that he's only started 1 full season. Definitely a developmental guy, I think he's similar to a Zach Mettenberger, maybe a poor man's version with more mobility.

This is exactly why I said he'd take a few years to develop. Good eye. And too bad your Indiana team couldn't pull it off tonight I was really rooting for them after that bs win MSU handed my Michigan team last week.

Bears93

Liked Posts:
That's fine.

Cutler is playing well, he is actually becoming cheap, and the Bears are not going to be ready to compete for a couple of seasons.

Cutler is playing decent, but we've seen what he is. I hope he plays this good for the rest of the year and we can trade him next year and spend his money elsewhere so we can really rebuild. But that's just wishful thinking.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like both Sudfeld and Cook and they're putting on a show tonight.

And Cook is doing it with a O-Line consisting of 3rd string depth and no running game. He was my number one choice starting the day, and cemented that all the way to the draft. Has the size, has the smarts, has the arm, and just finds a way to win !

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I think you guys are going to be disappointed with Cook at the pro level.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I think you'll be even more disappointed when you realize you don't make personnel decisions for the team.

I genuinely don't comprehend why people make these "BEARS SHOULD DRAFT _____" threads.

AussieBear

I think you'll be even more disappointed when you realize you don't make personnel decisions for the team.

I genuinely don't comprehend why people make these "BEARS SHOULD DRAFT _____" threads.

for shits and giiggles.. but in my other IRL career path, i was on my way to becoming regional scout...but my career was derailed due to a coke habit and a mean left hook.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
This is exactly why I said he'd take a few years to develop. Good eye. And too bad your Indiana team couldn't pull it off tonight I was really rooting for them after that bs win MSU handed my Michigan team last week.

Don't blame MSU, the punter was a fucking idiot.