How the Cubs have been Stupid

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs have been stupid because:

They havent won a single World Series in 105 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MIA won 2 since being in league since 1992! ARI won WS after just being in MLB for 3 yrs. Cubs cant find way to win 1 in 105 yrs? Thats why they are a stupid franchise. But for some damn reason i still love them which makes me even more stupid

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Cubs have been stupid because:

They havent won a single World Series in 105 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is not why they've been stupid, that's because they've been stupid.
MIA won 2 since being in league since 1992!
The first season of the Miami Marlins franchise was the 1993 Florida Marlins, not 1992.
ARI won WS after just being in MLB for 3 yrs.
It was their fourth season actually: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
Cubs cant find way to win 1 in 105 yrs? Thats why they are a stupid franchise.
Again, because not why.
But for some damn reason i still love them which makes me even more stupid
Ok, not like you've been alive for all of those 100 years or we've had the same management the entire time or anything.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Still a joke team hasnt won WS in 105 yrs while other franchises do when they are under 25 y/o

Well, when you have a company that only cares about making money and not winning (Wrigley family/company, Tribune Co.) it isn't hard to figure out why it took so long.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
I blame Bartman.

yes, blame the one fan who was singled out instead of the five or six who were reaching for the ball, and instead of Baker who sat on his ass when the team was falling apart, instead of Alou who was crying like a baby, instead of Gonzo for botching a routine double play.... need I go on?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
...Baker letting Mark Guthrie face Mike Lowell in extra innings in game 1 because he was afraid of letting a righty face the extremely dangerous Lenny Harris or pitching Prior deep into game 2 even after it was well in hand.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Meh article. Read the book "The Cubs" by Glen Stout. Covers it much better and gives way better reasons. Blaming the Tribune and Wrigley's is somewhat lazy. The Cubs have made just awful GM and Managerial hires more than anything. At points in their history they actually advocated and practiced rotating managers from the minors through the Majors and then demoting MLB managers back to the minors. The Cubs also were one of the last teams to really buy into having expansive minor league systems to develop players. Obviously owner shipped hasn't helped during those periods but the entire night game day game bullshit and just simply pinning it on the Tribune or the Wrigley's has become lazy analysis

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The focus of Anno's article was on the most recent ownership group pre-Ricketts pretty much letting the team fall into disrepair which is why the current owners have to dig out.

Joe Posnanski actually has a great blog post dealing with the stuff FT was talking about though.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What has this team done since the Ricketts took over ownership? Payroll dropped, wins went further down...

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
What has this team done since the Ricketts took over ownership? Payroll dropped, wins went further down...

The "out of context" bottom line is that the Major League team has regressed with Ricketts as the owner.

In context the Ricketts ownership started off relatively slow as they seemingly mismanaged a few early moves and made some questionable decisions regarding the end of the Hendry Regime. The Cubs were slow to ditch Hendry IMO and made some hires (Oneri being the most well known) without having a GM to consult. Then there were a few PR debacles, the most infamous being Papa Ricketts involvement with a group that is aimed at discrediting the Obama administration, which regardless of your political motivations is a misstep in Rahm's Chicago. That news broke right as the Cubs were going to ask for public funding and well the whole thing went to shit.

The Hendry slow reaction worked to the Cubs benefit, however, as Theo Epstein was dumped in Boston and suddenly became very available. Ricketts made the hire and gave Theo free run over rebuilding the organization from the ground up.

Now here there are a lot of small details that you likely don't care about, but are important according to very smart baseball people both in the media, in the industry, in the industry after being in the media, and in the media while being fresh out of the industry. The Cubs have begun to build up an infrastructure that will support both player scouting and development while also spending money to renovate Wrigley and creating a floor plan to completely overhaul the stadium to better suit its fans and create extra streams of revenue.

On the scouting and development side the Cubs have increased their scouting department, modernized the front office, invested money in foreign markets like Venezuela, the DR, and Asia (a controversial market). Through 1 draft cycle this front office has acquired 5 of the Cubs top ten prospects and I believe 3 of them made the BP Top 101 list (Albert Almora, Jorge Soler, Arodys Vizcaino). The gains the Cubs have made in the DR and Ven. won't bee seen for a few years but having academies in both areas is certainly a boost.

From the MLB standpoint any gains the Cubs have made are minimal, but there is some general optimism about the roster this year. They won't make the playoffs but 75-80 wins is not ridiculous. Given the injury to Matt Garza the Cubs made a lot of smart moves given the FA market and their main weakness last year, which was Starting Pitching.

So yes, out of context the Cubs have regressed at the MLB level every year. It's a different story in context, in my opinion.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The "out of context" bottom line is that the Major League team has regressed with Ricketts as the owner.

In context the Ricketts ownership started off relatively slow as they seemingly mismanaged a few early moves and made some questionable decisions regarding the end of the Hendry Regime. The Cubs were slow to ditch Hendry IMO and made some hires (Oneri being the most well known) without having a GM to consult. Then there were a few PR debacles, the most infamous being Papa Ricketts involvement with a group that is aimed at discrediting the Obama administration, which regardless of your political motivations is a misstep in Rahm's Chicago. That news broke right as the Cubs were going to ask for public funding and well the whole thing went to shit.

The Hendry slow reaction worked to the Cubs benefit, however, as Theo Epstein was dumped in Boston and suddenly became very available. Ricketts made the hire and gave Theo free run over rebuilding the organization from the ground up.

Now here there are a lot of small details that you likely don't care about, but are important according to very smart baseball people both in the media, in the industry, in the industry after being in the media, and in the media while being fresh out of the industry. The Cubs have begun to build up an infrastructure that will support both player scouting and development while also spending money to renovate Wrigley and creating a floor plan to completely overhaul the stadium to better suit its fans and create extra streams of revenue.

On the scouting and development side the Cubs have increased their scouting department, modernized the front office, invested money in foreign markets like Venezuela, the DR, and Asia (a controversial market). Through 1 draft cycle this front office has acquired 5 of the Cubs top ten prospects and I believe 3 of them made the BP Top 101 list (Albert Almora, Jorge Soler, Arodys Vizcaino). The gains the Cubs have made in the DR and Ven. won't bee seen for a few years but having academies in both areas is certainly a boost.

From the MLB standpoint any gains the Cubs have made are minimal, but there is some general optimism about the roster this year. They won't make the playoffs but 75-80 wins is not ridiculous. Given the injury to Matt Garza the Cubs made a lot of smart moves given the FA market and their main weakness last year, which was Starting Pitching.

So yes, out of context the Cubs have regressed at the MLB level every year. It's a different story in context, in my opinion.

God I was going to add something, but Roobs basically covered everything in regards to the short comings and positives of the new ownership group as well as the short term outlook for the franchise. Dude is SMRT.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
God I was going to add something, but Roobs basically covered everything in regards to the short comings and positives of the new ownership group as well as the short term outlook for the franchise. Dude is SMRT.

yer check is in the mail.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Am I the only one that thinks the stoopid thing is having small black text, on a dark blue background, with a shitload of 'eye distracting' leaves scattered about?

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Am I the only one that thinks the stoopid thing is having small black text, on a dark blue background, with a shitload of 'eye distracting' leaves scattered about?

No.

Good thing there's a white background instead of a dark blue background.

Kleats

Liked Posts:
The crappy team is providing the Cubs with higher draft choices in the early rounds of the draft so that should pay dividends in the coming years - providing they draft the right players and have luck with injuries .

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know FO wise Ricketts has done well but where it matters most the team has sucked under him for 4+ yrs.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
yes, blame the one fan who was singled out instead of the five or six who were reaching for the ball, and instead of Baker who sat on his ass when the team was falling apart, instead of Alou who was crying like a baby, instead of Gonzo for botching a routine double play.... need I go on?

Bartman... That you?