Howards Importance

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I know it looks like Cohen is now the feature back, which he very well may be considered until who knows when, but I think Nagy has an entirely different plan going into the playoffs with Howard. With the change in weather you should expect more production from a one cut back than a scat back. Cutting on wet fields in general is a problem for all players but I practically neutralizes the effectiveness of a player who utilizes quick changes of direction and multiple jukes on one play. Howard however has great vision, power and balance where he is going to really benefit from snow being on the ground. Defenders wont be able to arm tackle him in the snow and he wont be able to be gang tackled unless he is stood up head on. I see Nagy keeping Howard fresh going into the late part of the season for the simple reason that he is reliable in any weather and possibly could be even better in the snow given his skillset. Power running is important in the elements when teams are predicting runs more often than usual because the ball is hard to catch, throw or grip. He's important because he has always been a back that can get you guaranteed yards, and come late season or post season he is going to be healthy as an ox and ready to put up numbers.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
they need to run up the middle.....they have not been able to do this. That will be a problem if they don't fix it quickly, regardless of weather.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. The OL has not run blocked well.
2. Nagy does not want to run plays that are Howard strength or give him enough touches, which is fine.
3. Howard has been going down when a strong breese goes by him

This run game is getting killed by all 3 of these.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
I was hoping he was holding things back for this run of division games.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Nagy wants to score 31 points a game against the Division and Jordan Howard goes into witness protection, I am okay with that.

The OL is probably not getting better, so Howard needs to start generating some yards on his own.

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The running game struggle is a huge surprise to me. I really thought things would take off this year since a legit passing attack should limit the number of 8-man fronts they face. Nagy keeps talking about figuring things out in terms of playcalling/scheme - maybe this is as simple as looking back at what they were doing well in '16 and '17. After all, in terms of personnel, there hasn't been that much change. Or is losing Josh Sitton a much bigger factor?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a lot of the Bear's run blocking woes is because they spend much more time practicing the passing game than they are on the running game.

If the run game was the focus of this offense, then that is what they would be working on day in and day out to make it perfect. Based on how the plays are called, I just have a hard time believing they're spending equal time practicing both.