Hypothetically: What Do The Cubs Need To Contend In 2015?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Get John Lackey to pitch for them for $510,000 like the Cardinals are doing

geez, I hate the Cardinals

geez, I admire the Cardinals

Well technically he's pitching that because of Theo as Theo's the one who signed him and Lackey triggered a clause via injury.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get John Lackey to pitch for them for $510,000 like the Cardinals are doing

geez, I hate the Cardinals

geez, I admire the Cardinals

yeah what they do is just incredible. the blueprint for them isnt all about specs or top specs but the development in the minors. they have that on lock down. im jealous of the cards.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The addition of Lester (or Cole Hamels)plus full season of Soler, a good first year from Bryant, one of the other prospects making an impact (Baez, Alcantara or Russell when he's ready) and the emergence of one of the pitching "projects" (Turner, Doubront or someone not in the roster yet) catching fire should make them a contender at the trade deadline. Doing more than that (adding a second TOR pitcher, upgrade at catcher, a high OPB left handed platoon outfielder) might net even better results. Still the goal is for this team to learn, to gel and to be in at the deadline. Expecting more than that is too much.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
We aren't competing this year, sorry, but way to many things would need to go right, and I'm not counting on all of these prospects just hitting the ground running. This is the year to grow to around .500.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
We aren't competing this year, sorry, but way to many things would need to go right, and I'm not counting on all of these prospects just hitting the ground running. This is the year to grow to around .500.

I guess it depends on your definition of competing. I would define "competing" for a MLB team to be a potential buyer at the trade deadline which with two Wild Cards in play is probably around .500 in July. A contender, in contrast, is a team that's built to win in the playoffs which, of course, sometimes happens at the deadline. With the Maddon hire and the expected free agent moves I would say the Cubs are looking to compete in 2015. It would take an extraordinary confluence of events for them to contend.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
The Cubs need to sign Jon Lester, sign Russell Martin and promote Kris Bryant ASAP.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Competing for 2nd wild card spot this year. It doesn't mean they make it. It means they will be in the hunt in mid-August.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Worst position in baseball was Cubs LF last season combining for a -2.9 WAR

Getting an upgrade there is vital. Obviously if Bryant plays LF from the start that solves that problem. Otherwise an OF is necessary via trade or FA. Then the obvious TOR starter, which is Lester or bust IMO

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1) Total progression and little to no regression from the young-ins. The most unlikely scenario.

2) Sign Jon Lester, Russell Martin, Francisco Liriano, and Nick Markakis.

3) Don't try to fix what ain't broken, and don't get too cute. IE--Starlin Castro's plate approach/the idiotic desire to try and make a 'hack at pitches over the plate' mentality work a count. And now that Maddon is about to be here, don't send your line up anchor/premier hitter to try and steal second base in order to be cute/"think outside the box."

4) Catch fire when it counts.

5) Win 1 run games.

6) Win the easy games you shouldn't lose.

7) Make the best offer to Kenta Maeda and his people/club/agent if he gets posted.

8) If you do hire Ozzie, for the love of god, let him talk to the media.
:clap: