If Mark Cuban would of bought the team...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Yes in some similar fashion.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

BullsCubsBearsHawks

Liked Posts:
The Rickett$ portraid themselves as some great chicago cubs fans and perserving tradition so a "Mark Cuban" wouldnt come and do this but now they are throwing around threats of leaving Chicago.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Doesn't matter.

Cuban never had a chance of buying the team. MLB owners will never let him in the club.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cuban would have been allowed to own the Cubs the team would not be run this way. Cuban would have spent alot of money like LAD did. Not saying he would have won but we would see alot more hope in MLB payroll then what Ricketts is allowing cause he running team to make money while Cuban would run team to win.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
If Cuban would have been allowed to own the Cubs the team would not be run this way. Cuban would have spent alot of money like LAD did. Not saying he would have won but we would see alot more hope in MLB payroll then what Ricketts is allowing cause he running team to make money while Cuban would run team to win.

Reinsdorf had a hand in denying Cuban ownership if I recall all the press from that time period correctly, and it was based upon economics.

Any title contention on the northside, and the WS will be lucky to make the Trib sports section at all...unless they play each other in October.

Lol's, I don't think the city could handle that scenario.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Reinsdorf had a hand in denying Cuban ownership if I recall all the press from that time period correctly, and it was based upon economics.

Every owner had a hand in denying Cuban ownership.

They don't want anyone in the club that will rock the boat.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

I don't believe Cuban would have a payroll close to 200 million or more. If I remember correctly, he stated that if he owned the Cubs it would have been around the 140-150 area starting out. It's been a few years back, so I don't remember specifically. He was doing a radio interview about what he would have done if he was the owner.

Ricketts could afford to put a decent product on the field and his revenues could be the same if not more, with a payroll of around 150 million, if the right players were added and not a bunch of shit at around 100 million, like we are seeing now.

People are going to get tired of this shit eventually and the ballpark is going to empty out. I'm pretty sure the Cubs are still charging a top ten ticket price if not top five in all of baseball.

They want a lot of money to watch this bullshit product on the field. Running the team to win can still bring in just as much if not more cash than running it into the ground.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

According to Cuban that is far from the truth.
I had no intentions of trying to outspend the Yankees or Red Sox. There was no reason to. I didnt have to beat either of those teams unless I made it to the World Series. The only teams I had to be better than were those in the National League, and more importantly, those in my division. There were no big spending rivals close to home, so the AL East could spend themselves silly. My plans were to spend to win, not to spend for spending’s sake. IMHO, the money I could save being in the 2nd tier of payroll could be invested in scouting and development. I made this clear to any and all of the owners that I spoke to across the league. Of course that didnt stop some from trying to convince some owners otherwise.
http://blogmaverick.com/2009/01/06/the-cubs/

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting take from Cuban. Somehow though, I still believe he'd be compelled to put a winner at MLB level while building the farm at the same time.

Granted this article was written before the new CBA written, and with its limitations on amatuer acquisition spending Cuban might have put more into the payroll. I don't think it is as easy to put a winner on the MLB level as some have implied with many of the names suggested not working out well for the teams.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I don't think it is as easy to put a winner on the MLB level as some have implied with many of the names suggested not working out well for the teams.

Cause the likes of Stewart, DeJesus, Volstad, Jackson, Feldman etc are working out so well? lol

They just split a 4 game series at home to San Diego.

I can't see another series they will win till June when they play Houston. I am sure they will win a series before then, but on paper it doesn't look good till the Houston series at the end of June.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
Interesting take from Cuban. Somehow though, I still believe he'd be compelled to put a winner at MLB level while building the farm at the same time.

A goal that any owner should have when running a team. But apparently, it can be replaced with a winning PR campaign instead.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Cuban would have invested in the farm system in a similar manor to that of current ownership. However the ML roster would be much better. Cubs are 4th in MLB in terms of quality starts and are still last in the division

Godfella

Liked Posts:
Cuban would have installed the large new score board with a middle finger graphic on the back visible only to the roof toppers.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It didnt happen so why even dwell on it?