If we are going to blow it up...

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
When we hired a veteran coach like Fox, I thought the Bears organization was going to try to change some personnel on defense, but thought there was enough talent on the roster to put a quality football team on the field. I'm glad that they saw the writing on the wall and decided to start blowing this thing up. My question is, if they are going to blow it up wouldn't it be better to blow the entire thing up? I would definitely try to trade Forte and clear up more cap space. There are some very nice running backs that can be had in the draft this year. I would get Alshon's extension done now as he is a young piece to build the WR core around. Not sure Bushrod could be moved or what the savings would be, but I would try to move on from him. Cutler...well we can't pay someone to take him so he gets to be the sacrificial lamb for this coming season. Revenge is bitter sweet. The bottom line is this team will not be a playoff team, so is it that big a difference to go 5-11 then say 2-14?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
When was the last time a team total blew it up with a rebuild and had no core players kept?

Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines
When was the last time a team total blew it up with a rebuild and had no core players kept?

Oakland. We're not a great team, but thankfully we are not Oakland.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What is the point of clearing a fuck ton of cap space when there is no one worth signing to replace the holes you'd create? Forte is gone after next season anyways, so the plan is to trade him to free up space for...what exactly?

Does cap space somehow equate to being a good team all of a sudden?

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is the point of clearing a fuck ton of cap space when there is no one worth signing to replace the holes you'd create? Forte is gone after next season anyways, so the plan is to trade him to free up space for...what exactly?

There's a bug with the new madden. If you have the most cap space it sets the stats of the rest of your guys to 100 and you win the superbowl.

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
There's a bug with the new madden. If you have the most cap space it sets the stats of the rest of your guys to 100 and you win the superbowl.

or trade Shea Mac and a 1st to Denver for Manning...

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

We can hire replacement players, I hear Shane Falco is still cleaning barnacles off the bottoms of ships. Cochran has recovered from that nasty knee injury and well Danny Bateman was just an animal!

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Rathet play with scabs and go 0-16 then go 4-12 with a 30 yr old rb and an aging overpaid LT. Some of the dip shit brains amaze me on here. You clear cap space so that you can go out and get solid players to replace the overpaid contracts they stuck themselves with. You build with the draft and have cap space to resign your draft picks. Don't blow your load on the Jared Allen's of the world. Nice wise cracks about Madden and trading for Manning. So you trade Marshall, but think it's ridiculous to trade Forte or Bushrod? No wonder this board has fallen in the toilet. Bunch of dbags that can not fathom life without overpaid aging players that never one anything. Same guys that were Cutler supporters and would trash anyone that said he didn't have the intangibles to be a winning qb in this league 2 freaking years ago.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you want the bears to draft well and sign good young free agents without bad contracts who will want to come to a team that is in full rebuild. Got it. Go go Ryan Pace.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Sure thing. I'm not talking about the top shelf free agents. Quality players. With a shot to start and s fair contract quality free agents will come to Chicago, but free agency is to build depth and plug holes imo. Buying championships rarely works especially in the NFL. If this organization can't fix it's drafting woes it doesn't matter what is done in free agency.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure thing. I'm not talking about the top shelf free agents. Quality players. With a shot to start and s fair contract quality free agents will come to Chicago, but free agency is to build depth and plug holes imo. Buying championships rarely works especially in the NFL. If this organization can't fix it's drafting woes it doesn't matter what is done in free agency.

Completely agree on the drafting. Every team wants to draft well and then have the valuable assets to potentially trade (or get supplementary picks) to continue drafting well.

I would just be careful. On a team without strong player leadership (hopefully the coaches are better than before) about truly tanking and conditioning the players that it is ok to loose. There is so much more value on the intangibles like leadership and chemistry and culture in the NFL because it is such a team game. I'm not saying stay the course of the previous regime. Of course everyone wants to draft well and be able to sign targeted high potential free agents, but a team full of Ryan Mundy's will go 0-16, and any better than that and you are risking bad money. Bad cultures can just permeate deep, we've all seen loser cultures last for over a decade, and this team clearly packed it in last year.

Which leads me to this conclusion: At this point, I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to extend Forte, but as long as he continues to show up ready to play and works hard without being a distraction, I just think there are enough other holes that there is no real reason to create one more (especially because what the Bears get in exchange would likely be a late round wish if anything). I feel like this certainly can be revisited if BPA at any point is a RB. Same goes for Bushrod, although he is more likely to be considered a hole in the short term.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nah man.... You got it all wrong glider... Until the roster reads zero... It can't be considered a rebuild... Until then let's keep questioning the last regimes mistakes and polish up on our armchair GM skills... I think Marty will be back soon with the delorean and he can tell us how the Marshall trade turned out and which draft picks were busts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When we hired a veteran coach like Fox, I thought the Bears organization was going to try to change some personnel on defense, but thought there was enough talent on the roster to put a quality football team on the field. I'm glad that they saw the writing on the wall and decided to start blowing this thing up. My question is, if they are going to blow it up wouldn't it be better to blow the entire thing up? I would definitely try to trade Forte and clear up more cap space. There are some very nice running backs that can be had in the draft this year. I would get Alshon's extension done now as he is a young piece to build the WR core around. Not sure Bushrod could be moved or what the savings would be, but I would try to move on from him. Cutler...well we can't pay someone to take him so he gets to be the sacrificial lamb for this coming season. Revenge is bitter sweet. The bottom line is this team will not be a playoff team, so is it that big a difference to go 5-11 then say 2-14?

We are making no attempt at needed positions in free agency so far, Book it, the "Blowup" has begun.