Im glad we got Justin over Russell Wilson

JustinFieldsQB1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Look Russ is still a incredible QB but I am pretty glad we did not trade the farm for him for multiple reasons

Number 1: Assets we would have given up
Apparently we offered the Seahawks Pick 20,2022 first,2023 first,pick 82 along with Kyle Fuller and Akiem Hicks. For the Seahawks that was was not enough so we would probably have to give up more and potentially even Khalil Mack. As for Justin we gave up Pick 20,2022 first,2022 4th and pick 164, we still lost Fuller regardless but we were able to keep a extra first round pick and Akiem Hicks for getting Justin (2022 fourth + 164 cancel out with 82).
Number 2: Money and extra cuts
If Russ were to get traded he would have had a 19 million dollar cap hit. Akiem saves us 10.5 million after trade but even after him and fuller go we would still have to make additional cuts to fit him into the roster like Jimmy Graham most likely which would make our TE room pretty damn weak even if we dont sign Dalton in this scenario
Number 3: Age difference between those 2 and how long does Russ have in the tank?
Russ right now is 32 and will be 33 at the end of November while Justin just turned 22 in March. I always thought Russ was younger but he is getting up there in age and he was 24 in his rookie year.
Number 4: With all the draft picks we would have given up for Russ it would basically be superbowl or bust. With the players we would have lost would we really be a superbowl team?
No one is denying that Russ would make our offence really good but would we be good enough to win the Superbowl? From last years team we would have lost Fuller (Our CB1),Akiem (Monster on the D Line) and our best Endzone threat (Jimmy Graham). We still likely trade up for Teven in this scenario but we lose 3 important
starters in Fuller,Akiem and Graham
. I really dont think this would be enough to compete for the superbowl and I think us with Russ is at best a divisional round team or very small chance to play in the NFC Championship game.
Number 5: The best asset in the league is a QB on a rookie contract and we just landed the 2nd best QB in this draft
I always loved Fields and not just biased cause we drafted him. I think he will be a monster in this league and should have been a clear QB2 after Lawrence

Bust

Liked Posts:
Ditto.

As the great Genghis Khan once said, "everything happens for a reason..."

stallan54

Liked Posts:
I may have been drinking, but all of my good ideas come when I'm on some whiskey, but I said from the beginning that signing Wilson would have been a disaster and a "typical" Bears move. I have new wind in my sails and much more confidence heading into the season with a full team AND Justin Fields. And count me as the minority, but I wanted Graham back. Most here didn't from what I saw. He is an expensive but valuable red zone threat. One more year and Kmet can officially take over. I think both can have a good year this year.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
animal1.jpg animal2.jpg animal3.jpg

I was on the Russell Wilson after June 1st train big time.
Admittedly I had zero real expectations for Fields or even one of the top 5 QBs without paying a ton to move up for an unknown.
As the draft got closer, hope for Fields or another to drop became slightly realistic up until draft day.
Just WOW, still in shock Bears got so lucky AND took advantage. The planets aligned and I fully recognize how much this helps the org and at huge cost savings vs. the expected or R. Wilson sweepstakes.

Couldn't be happier to be wrong about this offseason & future of the team.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Look Russ is still a incredible QB but I am pretty glad we did not trade the farm for him for multiple reasons

Apparently we offered the Seahawks Pick 20,2022 first,2023 first,pick 82 along with Kyle Fuller and Akiem Hicks. For the Seahawks that was was not enough so we would probably have to give up more and potentially even Khalil Mack. As for Justin we gave up Pick 20,2022 first,2022 4th and pick 164, we still lost Fuller regardless but we were able to keep a extra first round pick and Akiem Hicks for getting Justin (2022 fourth + 164 cancel out with 82).
If Russ were to get traded he would have had a 19 million dollar cap hit. Akiem saves us 10.5 million after trade but even after him and fuller go we would still have to make additional cuts to fit him into the roster like Jimmy Graham most likely which would make our TE room pretty damn weak even if we dont sign Dalton in this scenario
Number 3: Age difference between those 2 and how long does Russ have in the tank?
Russ right now is 32 and will be 33 at the end of November while Justin just turned 22 in March. I always thought Russ was younger but he is getting up there in age and he was 24 in his rookie year.
Number 4: With all the draft picks we would have given up for Russ it would basically be superbowl or bust. With the players we would have lost would we really be a superbowl team?
No one is denying that Russ would make our offence really good but would we be good enough to win the Superbowl? From last years team we would have lost Fuller (Our CB1),Akiem (Monster on the D Line) and our best Endzone threat (Jimmy Graham). We still likely trade up for Teven in this scenario but we lose 3 important
. I really dont think this would be enough to compete for the superbowl and I think us with Russ is at best a divisional round team or very small chance to play in the NFC Championship game.
Number 5: The best asset in the league is a QB on a rookie contract and we just landed the 2nd best QB in this draft
I always loved Fields and not just biased cause we drafted him. I think he will be a monster in this league and should have been a clear QB2 after Lawrence
I think he is better than Lawrence.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The price difference wasn't that great for a top vet. Other than an extra 1st, we gave up those same picks for Fields and released Fuller so the difference was Hicks and a 1. It doesn't appear that we offered more to keep them talking so work with that.

Difference was basically a 1st and Hicks for an older elite NFL QB vs a top rookie QB prospect. Logic would indicate that the Wilson trade is the safer and better value but Like most fans here, I'm happier with this went down.:love:

Big fan of Fields, though the 49ers were drinking before the draft, and would love 15 years of Justin leading the Bear.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are all nuts. We haven't had a QB throw for over 4,000 yards in our 101 year history and Wilson does it almost every year. Yes, Fields has a chance of being a much younger QB that could have the same or better skills for years to come, but as we all know QBs coming out of college to the NFL rarely play at the level of a Wilson, Rodgers, Mahommes etc
I hope Fields turns into one of the top QBs in the league but there is no guarantee he will. Russ has already accomplished it.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Do we really need this list?

There was never any conceivable chance that the bears could ever acquire Russell Wilson. The media intentionally misled a lot of morons in the name of clicks/time-killing segments during NFL slow season and a lot of folks ate it up...

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

The Bears were never going to get Wilson anyway, that was just a tease. As far as Fields, time will tell.....

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think he is better than Lawrence.
Your track record says this is based off of what team fields was drafted by and absolutely nothing else.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It MAY have worked out in our favor. But Wilson is proven. Fields isn’t. So time will tell...

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I’m just glad Trubisky sucked so fucking bad his last 2 games that Pace didn’t give him a Goff contract.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, the risk that Fields is never any good is worth the difference in draft picks and money it would have taken to get Wilson.

It's crazy how much had to work out perfectly for the Bears to even be in this situation. Everyone knew the Bears were desperate for a QB. It started with Watson wanting out of Houston. Then Wilson naming the Bears as a team he would like to play for if not in Seattle. Then after that fell apart, the Justin Fields slander started out of nowhere. Ended the season as the consensus #2 pick, then just went down without even playing in another football game. Teams drafting ahead of the Bears decided they'd rather have Bridgewater, Darnold, and Goff instead of Fields for some reason. Teams drafting in the same area as the Bears (who could offer the same trade up package) decided they'd rather have Wentz and Fitzpatrick. All these moves seem terrible, even without hindsight. But it all worked out in the Bears favor so far, which is wild considering this franchise's history of luck at the QB position, which includes McMahon's illegal body slam, Cutler's broken thumb on a red hot team, and losing Bradshaw on a coin flip.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
At the time, I figured that at 20 we would have a choice of Trey Lance, or someone who ultimately became a late round pick. Fuck that. Wilson is 100% the better choice in that scenario, and yes he is the kind of QB that instantly makes you a playoff contender.

But with Justin Fields in orange and blue? I'm excited for what he will show on his first contract and have a lot of confidence that he'll be worth a second contract in Chicago. Will he ever be better than Wilson now? Maybe not. But I'm happy to have Fields on our team. No looking back for me.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The price difference wasn't that great for a top vet. Other than an extra 1st, we gave up those same picks for Fields and released Fuller so the difference was Hicks and a 1. It doesn't appear that we offered more to keep them talking so work with that.

Difference was basically a 1st and Hicks for an older elite NFL QB vs a top rookie QB prospect. Logic would indicate that the Wilson trade is the safer and better value but Like most fans here, I'm happier with this went down.:love:

Big fan of Fields, though the 49ers were drinking before the draft, and would love 15 years of Justin leading the Bear.
Tough call without seeing Fields play a single down in the NFL even though i'm pretty damn confident the kid will be just fine but at the time we were all talking about trading for Wilson nobody thought we'd have a shot at Fields or any of the top 4-5 QB's in this draft. Still pretty damn amazed that Fields dropped to #11 and that we were able to go up and get him.

Wilson would of made us a contender right away but we'll get an extra 10 years from Fields, we keep some draft picks and we save a ton of money with Fields. Now if Fields can hold up to being what many think he'll be then we made the right decision.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you had told me at the beginning of the off-season that the Bears could get Lawrence, Zach Wilson, or Justin Fields, I'd take that option over getting Russel Wilson. I was happy with the Russel Wilson idea because i didn't think the Bears had a shot at any of those top rookie QBs.