Int in the endzone

clear

Liked Posts:
That play had no chance. Holtz and Robinson's routes took them right into one another. It appeared Trubisky was throwing to Robinson, but Dantzler who was covering Holtz made the pick.

I didn't get the play call to begin with. It had to be the worst call of the game. The Bears were steady pounding the run, and appeared content on not throwing again. If you were going to throw the ball again it seemed logical to do something off of play action, but they wait until third down to run an empty backfield 5 receiver set. I just did not get that, unless you tried a QB draw.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I haven't rewatched but when 2 catchers get that close together, either one took the wrong option or the throw is late. Regardless, that ball was thrown where only a defender could catch it. After so many really good throws, that one was atrocious because of the read, placement and situation. That he forced there was very disappointing.

And Mitch was conservative early. On the 1st play, when he needed to get rid of it, he could have easily squeezed the ball against the sideline on an out to AR that may not get caught but had no danger of a pick but held it instead. It still bothers me that he's inconsistent in his risk taking or still just misses reads. He took a very poor option when they flooded a safety's zone either last week or the one before. This time, he threw away what could have been 3 important points in the redzone.

Definitely a lot more good than bad lately and I like taking risks but he needs to do a better job of picking his spots. Also had a couple nice downfield throws today but in the NFL, a couple of those a game are sort of expected from your QB. We appreciate them more because we're just not that used to them.

That said, he has enough innate ability to have a very good game like yesterday with the proper playcalls but will that hold up against playoff Ds? Hard to know but he seems more consistent, aggressive, determined and less wary of pleasing the coaches etc. All good things. Still Mitch vision and brane but it just might become viable enough with enough looks in the same o for a while.

Last edited:

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I haven't rewatched but when 2 catchers get that close together, either one took the wrong option or the throw is late. Regardless, that ball was thrown where only a defender could catch it. After so many really good throws, that one was atrocious because of the read, placement and situation.

Mitch was so conservative early. On the 1st pla , he could have easily squeezed the ball against the sideline on an out to AR that may not get caught but had no danger of a pick but held it instead. It still bothers me that he's inconsistent in his risk taking or still just misses reads. He threw away what could have been 3 important points in the redzone.

That said, he has enough innate ability to have a very good game like yesterday with the proper playcalls but will that hold up against playoff Ds? Hard to know.

NO

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
Oddly they lined up in this same formation in the first half near the goal line when the Vikings called timeout. I get that Harris got hurt mid game, but there is no reason to have Holtz out wide in a goal line situation. I would also argue there is no reason to have Harris out wide either even if healthy.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Why the fuck is Holtz out there in that wide set?????
Only logical reason would be to setup a pick on ARobs guy or to distract the safety, either way it obviously looked like Trubisky wasn’t expecting him to go deep on a route, as of course no one would...

Still a big problem with Trubisky, anticipating the throw presnap, however if Holtz isn’t there then refs probably see AR and he gets a PI call and another 3 downs.

clear

Liked Posts:
It was just another disaster waiting to happen in a crucial spot. It always seems to be the theme with this team in those situations. Luckily the D was able to stop MN on 4th down after being shredded the entire second half.

The absolute logical call for a shot in the endzone was something off of play action. The Bears could of easily created a one on one favorable match up.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It was just another disaster waiting to happen in a crucial spot. It always seems to be the theme with this team in those situations. Luckily the D was able to stop MN on 4th down after being shredded the entire second half.

The absolute logical call for a shot in the endzone was something off of play action. The Bears could of easily created a one on one favorable match up.

Correct. And Holtz will never create a favorable matchup.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Why the fuck is Holtz out there in that wide set?????

Oddly they lined up in this same formation in the first half near the goal line when the Vikings called timeout. I get that Harris got hurt mid game, but there is no reason to have Holtz out wide in a goal line situation. I would also argue there is no reason to have Harris out wide either even if healthy.
Hotz or Harris should not be in on goalline players other than to be a blocker or Holtz a lead back. Hell put Wims out wide if AR, Kmet and Graham aren't enough height for you, he is only and inch shorter at least he is used to going up to get balls.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hotz or Harris should not be in on goalline players other than to be a blocker or Holtz a lead back. Hell put Wims out wide if AR, Kmet and Graham aren't enough height for you, he is only and inch shorter at least he is used to going up to get balls.

Holtz was easily pushed off his route too by a much smaller defender. Pathetic

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Holtz was easily pushed off his route too by a much smaller defender. Pathetic
While Horsted sits on the practice squad. Why? because holtz is supposedly a better blocker? :rolleyes: He looks to have a future in bullfighting. Looks like Tarzan's fat brother, plays like Jane. Horsted can't be a worse lead blocker and is a skilled WR. Watching Holtz run through gaps instead of holding them open and then still whiffing at the 2nd level sooo pisses my off. It's no wonder we don't see much of that any more but then, if he can't run routes or catch that well, why is he even playing instead of a guy that you at least know can do one thing very well.

Last edited:

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
I've looked at this play a bunch and I can't figure out what the idea was. You had 2 guys too close together. At first I thought it was a pass to ARob but I think he was trying to throw to Holtz in the back and flat out made the wrong choice and/or bad placement. Maybe that works if he gets it higher but I think its just a bad readon. Holtz was covered and looking at Trubisky so that throw should have been an inside fade. I honestly think Trubisky just messed this up. And yes, this really needs to be Jimmy Graham or Kmet running this play.

But the biggest problem was play concept for that situation.

Fades, stops, throwing to spots are risky. You absolutely can not call a risky play. I have no problem with this play in the 1st quarter or middle of the game. But a huge problem with this concept when you are winning the game.

My biggest complaint about the Nagy offense is that he has no understanding situational football. There are plays you can call when you are trailing and plays you can call when you have 3rd and short. He gets these wrong at a very high rate. Like the Detroit game calling long developing routes and keeping the QB in the pocket when you should have him moving so he has the option to run for a first down.

We run a lot of fades, throwing to spot in the end zone, throw high to Jimmy Graham, stop routes on the end line. Those are all fine plays that have scored TD's, but they are inherently risky plays as you aren't throwing to a receiver based on a route opening up. You are basically throwing a 50-50 ball and betting your target wins. You throw to a spot and hope your target gets there. These plays also end up picked by a good defenses when the throw is a little off and they also tend to get batted in the air.

This situation called for a low risk play.

Rollout double route to both pylons, throwbacks to leaking TE, slant pivot routes (Welker), shovel passes, front flip end arounds (Hill), QB draw or RB route to the pylon (Kamara).

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've looked at this play a bunch and I can't figure out what the idea was. You had 2 guys too close together. At first I thought it was a pass to ARob but I think he was trying to throw to Holtz in the back and flat out made the wrong choice and/or bad placement. Maybe that works if he gets it higher but I think its just a bad readon. Holtz was covered and looking at Trubisky so that throw should have been an inside fade. I honestly think Trubisky just messed this up. And yes, this really needs to be Jimmy Graham or Kmet running this play.

Fades, stops, throwing to spots are risky. You absolutely can not call a risky play. I have no problem with this play in the 1st quarter or middle of the game. But a huge problem with this concept when you are winning the game.

My biggest complaint about the Nagy offense is that he has no understanding situational football. There are plays you can call when you are trailing and plays you can call when you have 3rd and short. He gets these wrong at a very high rate. Like the Detroit game calling long developing routes and keeping the QB in the pocket when you should have him moving so he has the option to run for a first down.

We run a lot of fades, throwing to spot in the end zone, throw high to Jimmy Graham, stop routes on the end line. Those are all fine plays that have scored TD's, but they are inherently risky plays as you aren't throwing to a receiver based on a route opening up. You are basically throwing a 50-50 ball and betting your target wins. You throw to a spot and hope your target gets there. These plays also end up picked by a good defenses when the throw is a little off and they also tend to get batted in the air.

Rollout double route to both pylons, throwbacks to leaking TE, slant pivot routes (Welker), shovel passes, front flip end arounds (Hill), QB draw or RB route to the pylon (Kamara).
Obviously its just a guess but by Robinsons body language I think the throw was actually to him and a bad throw.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They needed to run play action or some kind of counter crossing route on either first or second down. It wasn't really a option on 3rd and goal from the 6.

I loved the offensive philosophy yesterday but that goal to go series was awful.

I also would have like a couple deep shots off play action yesterday to loosen the defense up.

ImSure

Liked Posts:
That is for certain.

I just brought this play up, because if the Bears lost that game it was because of such an idiotic play call. You basically told a team that could not stop your run all game long that you were not running on the biggest play of the game.
This

Bolek

Liked Posts:
I didnt like the play call either, you dont throw up a 50/50 ball in that situation. If you must pass throw it to a slant, keep the ball low to the ground, so if the WR cant get it, no one else will. Think it was supposed to go to AROB think Mitch threw a bad pass. Its alright, had an excellent game otherwise and D stepped up when it counted most. Ill take the W

Also, as effective as PA has been, they still need to clean up little details on how they run it. More precisely, Mitch needs to get the ball closer to the RB on the fake hand off, so the D has to wonder who has the ball. The way we are executing it, the ball never gets closer than a foot or 2 away from the RB, so the D knows right away that Mitch is passing. Small detail, but can make the PA a lot more effective for us

ImSure

Liked Posts:

This is a really good post.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Obviously its just a guess but by Robinsons body language I think the throw was actually to him and a bad throw.

Go back and watch the TV replay. The defender was holding AR around the waist so he wasn't able to jump. That's why he stumbled and the ball went past him. I don't think that ball was at all intended for Holtz, and Robinson likely catches it if he wasn't held. Still confusing why Holtz was there in the first place....