Interest in Russell Okung

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Pat Kirwan and Jim Millet were talking about the rumor bears have been in contact with Okung. Kirwan didn't seem to like it and thought they'd be better going after Kelly as a swing or if they were going after an injury prone guy he mentioned Peters.

Not sure where they got the rumor as I haven't seen anything about them being in contact with him

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did something happen during OTAs that screamed TJ isn't ready for LT or ... ?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He’s played something like 13 or 14 games combined over the past two seasons, so he can’t stay on the field. But he’ll give you 5 or 6 solid games, maybe.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He may come on the cheap with an understanding that he probably won't finish the year

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
He’s played something like 13 or 14 games combined over the past two seasons, so he can’t stay on the field. But he’ll give you 5 or 6 solid games, maybe.
I'm honestly probably alright with him giving Jenkins some time to learn an adjust. When okung does play it is at a pretty elite level too

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Okung sold his Bitcoin when he should have? If not, he probably has around 1/2 of what that could have been.

Anyway, Peters is washed. Love him, but can't stay healthy and at 39 years old his level of play really declined. I also think he's got too much pride to take a backup role/contract.

Dennis Kelly was also an Eagle and because of a buddy who's a Titans fan I've followed him. He's a backup swing tackle. Not good enough to be a starter, so know what you are getting. I'd add, he'll probably be the cheapest of the bunch, so might be a possibility there, but remember, he's not good. He just has a lot of NFL experience.

For Okung he's still a starting caliber left tackle. Definitely worth a look, but when he signed the one year deal last year it was for $13M (1/2 paid in bitcoin). Sure his value will be down a bit, but he'll still be expensive. I'm thinking his side is waiting for a training camp injury where a contender/hot seat team has an injury and creates a bit of leverage for him.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He's also an Oklahoma State guy who had to make the change from Mike Gundy's offense to an NFL offense. So while he may only give 5 to 6 games, his ultimate value may be mentoring a young LT who is going to be tasked with protecting the blind side of your hopeful franchise QB.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is why I didn’t want to cut Leno without a plan

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I wonder if Okung sold his Bitcoin when he should have? If not, he probably has around 1/2 of what that could have been.

Anyway, Peters is washed. Love him, but can't stay healthy and at 39 years old his level of play really declined. I also think he's got too much pride to take a backup role/contract.

Dennis Kelly was also an Eagle and because of a buddy who's a Titans fan I've followed him. He's a backup swing tackle. Not good enough to be a starter, so know what you are getting. I'd add, he'll probably be the cheapest of the bunch, so might be a possibility there, but remember, he's not good. He just has a lot of NFL experience.

For Okung he's still a starting caliber left tackle. Definitely worth a look, but when he signed the one year deal last year it was for $13M (1/2 paid in bitcoin). Sure his value will be down a bit, but he'll still be expensive. I'm thinking his side is waiting for a training camp injury where a contender/hot seat team has an injury and creates a bit of leverage for him.
I would think okung would likely have taken a lesser deal in a normal year because of durability issues. Moses getting 3.5 is telling, I'd assume he is $10 million if not higher in a normal year

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Okung wants Nigeria to switch their currency to Bitcoin.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That $13 mil was still part of the contract he signed in 2017. The Panthers traded for Okung.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This is why I didn’t want to cut Leno without a plan
Yeah, I agree with you. I more wanted them to keep Leno until you knew what the rookie could give you, but it's still early in the process.

The one side I'd give the Bears is that we can't judge it yet because we don't know the full roster. If they get a tackle of comparable quality for less than Leno, then it's a good move. At this time it's too early to tell.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We need more OT depth.

Okung on a cheap deal would be awesome.
Kelly would be the ideal swing OT.
Pass on Peter’s he seems physically cooked.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Did something happen during OTAs that screamed TJ isn't ready for LT or ... ?
Well. nobody really knows how Jenkins will handle the move to LT in the pros until he's played a game or two.