INTERNATIONAL SIGNING: Enrique Acosta

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
So this might be a dumb question but this guy is going straight to the minors right?

marky mark

Liked Posts:
hmm he plays 3B also..... A Ram is on the block.... coincidence?

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
So this might be a dumb question but this guy is going straight to the minors right?
Yep
It says that he likely won't stick at SS. He'll probably be a better prospect than Vitters at 3rd IMO

AnythingChicago

You'rrrrre out!
Liked Posts:
The situation is ripe to trade A-Ram. We can have a DeWitt/Baker platoon this year and maybe next year (I like DeWitt and Baker. Especially DeWitt), and then we can keep getting younger with Acosta somewhere down the road.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be reading any tea leaves about next year over a signing in Latin America. Seems like an intriguing prospect, but he is only 16 which means he is likely to play in the Dominican Summer League for a couple of years before he even starts working his way through the minor leagues. If this kid got here in four years that would be amazing.

As far as Ramirez goes, I wouldn't be opposed to trading him, but lets be clear the system is pretty bare at 3B as it is at 1B. Vitters would be the guy but as I've mentioned in multiple threads his defense is beyond terrible. If you think Aramis Ramirez is bad defensively at 3B, then you are going to be beyond disappointed watching Vitters play the hot corner. And there are serious questions about Vitters bat even with it starting to hit up like he usually does after being at a level for a couple months. He is yet another hacker and that will get exploited at the major league level. LaMahieu's bat is well below average for 3B because he has less power than Castro. We are going to need to go outside of the system to get a 3B for next year in my opinion, and there aren't any great options available.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are also believed to sign a C to 6 figures, Malave.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is snippets of the Baseball America scouting report that was posted at another forum I frequent:
9. LUIS ENRIQUE ACOSTA, SS
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-1 Wt.: 180
Acosta, who is represented by Rob Plummer, has one of the best bats in the Dominican Republic. Acosta, 16, has a short load and gets his hands started easily with a clean, efficient swing and good bat speed. He has a good approach to hitting for his age and uses the whole field. Some scouts say his swing is shorter than Ronald Guzman's and Elier Hernandez's and that he has more power as well. He gets good extension and the ball jumps off his bat. He could have more pop once he learns to incorporate his lower half into his swing. He does have a tendency to open his hips early, leaving him susceptible to breaking balls. Acosta's speed, range, hands, arm and accuracy will force a position switch. Some scouts think Acosta has an outside chance to handle third base, though many believe he's a corner outfielder.
The scouting consensus is that 6-foot-1, 180-pound Enrique Acosta will have to move off shortstop, but the 16-year-old has one of the more promising bats in the Dominican Republic. Scouts are split on what they like the most about Acosta's offensive game. Some say he has a clean swing with a good approach, while others are drawn more to the way the ball jumps off his bat. He has a quick swing and uses the whole field. His defense needs refinement. He might be able to handle third base, but most scouts see him as a corner outfielder.