Is attendance a concern for the Cubs?

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess I'm sort of asking do you think they feel pressure to sell short-term hope to put people in the seats?

It sounds like Theo Epstein won't be signing any big names from his comments and if that's the case, even the most optimistic or gullible Cubs fans won't have any real expectations.

Sure the place will be packed on weekends in the Summer but attendance could really take a dive overall. The Theo and Sandberg sideshow will be cool before about 2 weeks before the fans want more.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Averaged 37,000 last year (even though many didn't show up). 5K over MLB average and in 9th out of 30 teams. It's fine.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they'll sell the three million-ish seats again but probably have a lot of no-shows. If Theo is playing for 2013 and beyond, I am guessing they have a contingency plan for this and will just try to make a splash then, knowing that the season ticket waiting list is still tens of thousands deep and that tourists will still buy tickets to see historic Wrigley Field. I don't think they'll panic yet.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Sox have more to worry about attendance-wise. Attendance dropped in a year when they were "All In".

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not a knock on the Sox at all. It's upsetting to me that they don't sell out. But the fans don't pay for mediocrity. I can't disagree with that sentiment if it helps the team win.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Just the fact that the Cubs brought in Theo will create enough of a buzz that Wrigley will be sold out again.

MSOADE54

I ****ing love this chick
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just the fact that the Cubs brought in Theo will create enough of a buzz that Wrigley will be sold out again.

:beer:

Agreed, It should be enough to get some fans showing up.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0CDtEz_Bo]Lee Elia Cubs Rant - YouTube[/ame]

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I can't see someone saying today, Theo is signed, I need to buy a ticket. Certainly no baseball fan would do that. Now you go out of your way and sign an Albert Pujols and yes, baseball fans and non-baseball fans would buy a ticket even if a team (not saying the Cubs) has still no chance just to see Albert swing. But to buy a ticket to not see someone? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I can't see someone saying today, Theo is signed, I need to buy a ticket. Certainly no baseball fan would do that. Now you go out of your way and sign an Albert Pujols and yes, baseball fans and non-baseball fans would buy a ticket even if a team (not saying the Cubs) has still no chance just to see Albert swing. But to buy a ticket to not see someone? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Because fans seem to think that they'll automatically win just because they have Theo? It's a bad assumption, but many will take the bait.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think the Cub fan is smarter than that

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I think the Cub fan is smarter than that

The real fans and diehards are smarter than that. Unfortunately, they're not the ones that go to Wrigley these days.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

The regular fans who will go to games anyway will go.

The casual fans probably won't, but will go when there are deals on StubHub or whatever anyway.

Then you have the tourists.

I don't think the GM will actually bring in fans, but he'll do something to bring in a product that fans may want to see.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree. No one goes to a baseball game to see a GM. I have a man crush on Theo, but that's not enough in and of itself for me to go to a Cubs game. I went to one last year and that was only because it was the Yankees. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have made it to a single one. If Theo signs a Wilson, or a Fielder, or something really notable like that, that will draw more attention. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if attendance even dropped until something notable occurs.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Attendance is not a concern when we averaged 37k last year. People will come to see Boston just like the Yankees too.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Attendance is not a concern when we averaged 37k last year. People will come to see Boston just like the Yankees too.

I'm just saying I'm not expecting it to change either way, up or down. But if it does, it's going down.

MotorCityCub

Liked Posts:

We talked to an usher on our last trip to Wrigley and he said approximately 37% of people at Wrigley on a given day are tourists.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
We talked to an usher on our last trip to Wrigley and he said approximately 37% of people at Wrigley on a given day are tourists.

And they'll keep coming until Wrigley is gone...