Is McCown playing Cutler out of a contract?

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Jeffery can stumble, but he knows how to use his body and can leap and snatch the ball. He has better hands than Marshall. He should get a long term deal. People will find a way to criticize McCown, but I thought he made some really good throws. I've always been impressed with his ability to handle pressure. A lot more athletic than he's given credit for, but the arm is not close to Cutler territory.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wow, some real idiots here.

"Don't you dare question Cutler!!!"

pfft, whatever. :shot:

Who said not to question Cutler ? Also since you've been hating on Forte for a while now go give him his due. There is a thread for that

Chad_Thomas89

BANNED
Liked Posts:
You missed my point. It was you don't automatically jump on the backup players bus because he played a couple of games well. Not every backup is Tom Brady
I never said we should start McKlown over Cutler. Just that Cutler should not be asking no where near top dollar or he should get the fucking boot.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I never said we should start McKlown over Cutler. Just that Cutler should not be asking no where near top dollar or he should get the fucking boot.

Im with you on that. But hey the offense is sooooooooooo much crisper right now

nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeffery can stumble, but he knows how to use his body and can leap and snatch the ball. He has better hands than Marshall. He should get a long term deal. People will find a way to criticize McCown, but I thought he made some really good throws. I've always been impressed with his ability to handle pressure. A lot more athletic than he's given credit for, but the arm is not close to Cutler territory.
McCown always was consider athletic he came out running a 4.57. His decision making has improved since his days in Phoenix.

Last edited:

Chad_Thomas89

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Im with you on that. But hey the offense is sooooooooooo much crisper right now
TRUE! I can't believe we have an offense. Oh man if we had this offense last year.......the world is cruel.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
McCown always was consider athletic he came out running a 4.57. His decision making has improved since his days in Phoenix.

I didn't see him much in AZ or MI. He's been the utlimate rent-a-qb here

Liked Posts:
I like McCown he really takes care of the ball. Cutler is more than reckless with it at times. Unfortunately McCown is 34, so he is really not a long term answer. Still McCown just seems so much calmer out there, Culter can act like a chicken with his head cut off when things aren't going his way; and that is when the god awful weird picks come. This is going to be interesting...

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
I don't think McCown has, will, or even could play Cutler out of a contract. But the success he is finding does raise the interesting question: is this team's offense better off with a cerebral QB who reads the schemes/defense to find open receivers, versus a gun slinging make something out of nothing type? If McCown keeps getting this kind of success I think the answer to that question is probably yes, which opens a whole new can of worms.
It's Trestman's offense, his play calling, preparation and the O line and Kromer's coaching that is helping Cutler AND McCown thrive. Of course you gotta have a decent QB with smarts to play well in it and both our guys fit the bill.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hear me out on this one.

I'm not saying that McCown is the long-term answer here...and Cutler has been very good for us this season...But with McCown playing in his 2nd game, the offense hasn't missed a beat...McCown is moving the ball against a good (albeit banged-up) defense, IN Green Bay, and is looking good doing so.

McCown is considered to be a below-league-avg QB, and is working on 2 weeks of prep. What's to say Trestman can't teach a FA QB (Cassle? McCoy? Henne?) or a smart rookie (Murray? Mettenberger?) the same?

What say you all?
Great thread, X. I'll be the first to admit I thought McCown was one of, if not the, worst backups at least until I saw how he played against the Skins. I think it shows how QB friendly Trestman is. Is he a Guru or QB whisperer? IDK, but I know the Bears have talented position players all over that offense and Trestman sets his QBs up for success better than any Bears' HC ever did.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Listening to the score, I think it was probably a dislocated shoulder for Rodgers.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
Listening to the score, I think it was probably a dislocated shoulder for Rodgers.

If he dislocated his non-throwing shoulder, he would have been able to come back in the game. Where they were feeling around inside his pads it looked like a collar bone or an AC or SC joint issue.

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
Yeah That Trestman makes every QB look great. Sign McCown for 5 year deal whooo!

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
Cutler will be paid either with the franchise tag or a new 100 million dollar contract.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Cutler will be paid either with the franchise tag or a new 100 million dollar contract.

No it should not be 100 million dollars barring a SB appearance/victory. Franchise tag is more likely. Saying Josh McCown should get a 5 year deal is just as stupid and shortsighted as saying that McCown's performances haven't given the Bears big time leverage. They had none a few weeks ago pertaining to Jay's contract talks and now they have a ton. Pending on the rest of the season's outcome - I find it likely that even Cutler and his agent will be looking south of 100 mil if he resigns with the Bears.

optimus prime

Liked Posts:
only meatball bears fans would even consider this after a backup qb plays a good game and a half. packer fans didn't say lets trade rodgers after matt flynn lit up the lions