Is Pace resetting by changing the Bears’ identity?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
At first blush, recent moves don’t make much sense.

Why sign Dalton when they already have Foles?

Why cut Fuller for $20 mil when that’s almost the exact amount you’re putting into the quarterback room?

Why trade Hicks despite the fact that you absolutely don’t have to? (No, the cap does not dictate you have to cut him, especially after cutting Fuller.)

Why make all those moves, but keep Graham and offer $12 mil to Golladay?

Yes, Pace is incompetent. But I think there’s also another reason:

Pace is resetting the Bears into an offensive squad, and is willing to cut cap weight off of the defense to eventually make room on the offense.

Honestly, this makes a lot of sense. I don’t buy for one second that Pace is on the hot seat. It’s not a win-or-else year.

The McCaskeys see Pace as family, and he’s the next Ted Phillips. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ted retire and Pace become the new team president over the next few years, allowing the McCaskeys to never have to make anymore football decisions at the GM level.

Fuller cost a lot of money. Hicks costs a lot of money. Mack (who will be cut or traded next year) costs a lot of money.

You know what else costs a lot of money?:

Golladay
Robinson
Russell Wilson
Other top offensive talent that Pace is going to be gunning for over the next few years.

With all this in mind, it seems pretty clear to me that this is a planned transition year, the beginning of turning from a defensive team into an offensive one. Look for the Bears to go offense-heavy over the next couple of drafts and to be very active in 2022 free agency on the offensive side of the ball.

Will it work? Who knows.

Is Pace still an idiot? Absolutely.

But I do have to say, I’d much rather spend money on the offensive side of the ball in 2020s NFL than on the defensive side.

Now if only they had some good offensive coaches.....

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
At first blush, recent moves don’t make much sense.

Why sign Dalton when they already have Foles?

Why cut Fuller for $20 mil when that’s almost the exact amount you’re putting into the quarterback room?

Why trade Hicks despite the fact that you absolutely don’t have to? (No, the cap does not dictate you have to cut him, especially after cutting Fuller.)

Why make all those moves, but keep Graham and offer $12 mil to Golladay?

Yes, Pace is incompetent. But I think there’s also another reason:

Pace is resetting the Bears into an offensive squad, and is willing to cut cap weight off of the defense to eventually make room on the offense.

Honestly, this makes a lot of sense. I don’t buy for one second that Pace is on the hot seat. It’s not a win-or-else year.

The McCaskeys see Pace as family, and he’s the next Ted Phillips. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ted retire and Pace become the new team president over the next few years, allowing the McCaskeys to never have to make anymore football decisions at the GM level.

Fuller cost a lot of money. Hicks costs a lot of money. Mack (who will be cut or traded next year) costs a lot of money.

You know what else costs a lot of money?:

Golladay
Robinson
Russell Wilson
Other top offensive talent that Pace is going to be gunning for over the next few years.

With all this in mind, it seems pretty clear to me that this is a planned transition year, the beginning of turning from a defensive team into an offensive one. Look for the Bears to go offense-heavy over the next couple of drafts and to be very active in 2022 free agency on the offensive side of the ball.

Will it work? Who knows.

Is Pace still an idiot? Absolutely.

But I do have to say, I’d much rather spend money on the offensive side of the ball in 2020s NFL than on the defensive side.

Now if only they had some good offensive coaches.....

I think other posters have shared this same thought BUT - you readily acknowledged Pace IS still an idiot. I think it's time for some idiots to get lucky, and that might be just the recipe for this plan to actually succeed.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He's resetting their identity to that friend of your friend from high school who still pops his collar, wears a pooka necklace, rocks oakleys at night, and listens to papa roach and reminisces about the 7 he slayed at the state fair when you were sophomores

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's resetting their identity to that friend of your friend from high school who still pops his collar, wears a pooka necklace, rocks oakleys at night, and listens to papa roach and reminisces about the 7 he slayed at the state fair when you were sophomores
I see we went to high school at the same time

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
wait until he finds out that Andy Dalton with great WRs and a terrible defense won’t win him any meaningful games.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I think most Bears fans would have argued Pace was fighting for his job before this offseason. But I do agree with you. I think Pace knows he’s got time and he’s making that transition. You don’t make moves like this unless you have more time. Even if they are transitioning towards an offensive minded team, I don’t necessarily trust Pace to put that together. He’s been more successful on the defensive side and just iffy with the offensive. I’m not a Pace fan but if transition is his plan, I get the moves. I’m not happy about them, but I understand why they were made.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thought: Maybe the Bears signed Dalton to use as a trade piece for Wilson, because Seattle didn't want Foles? And they would have an ok QB if it doesn't work out?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
A lot of the moves would not have been made without the unexpected drop in the salary cap due to the WuFlu. You don’t manage the cap a year at a time. You set up a multi-year projection that wouldn’t have included a drop in the salary cap.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
How do people see him “resetting” to an offensive focused franchise when he’s signing Andy Daltons and keeping 34yr old TEs?!?

Am I missing something? This offense is gonna suck too!

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
He is setting the Bears up to be the Detroit Lions.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How do people see him “resetting” to an offensive focused franchise when he’s signing Andy Daltons and keeping 34yr old TEs?!?

Am I missing something? This offense is gonna suck too!

We have one 34 year old tight end, Cole Kmet was drafted last year he's still in his twenties. He hasn't been cut because Bears don't have anything options.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
it’s crazy that a GM in the NFL today will most likely hit 8-10 years when it’s all said and done with 0 playoff wins and a record significantly under .500. The Bears are truly trash. Pace is significantly worse than Emery or Angelo, IMO.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All signs still point to a post June 1st trade of Russell Wilson by Juneteenth.

Dalton or Foles likely to be involved going back or Foles in a separate trade. There are 36 million reasons the Wilson trade "evaporated"...but since then both teams have prepared like its happening while saying it is off.

Hicks is disgruntled as he was involved, allowing him to "seek" a fair trade is just a pony show and he may not be in on it but is pissed his name was involved after the fight and loyalty he gave the Bears.