Is There Steroid Use in NBA Basketball?

RPK

Liked Posts:
Rampant problem or not, I think the NBA should at least test for it.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I think if a guy is 6'10 (like Dwight Howard), or 7'1 (like Shaq) God blessed those guys with something to be that big. So I think most NBA players are naturally gifted to begin with.

That's certainly possible, it's also possible that they were given human growth hormone since birth which was largely rumored of Yao Ming while he was in China.

LeBron James and Greg Oden have the facial features of someone who has been on overdoses of human growth hormone which makes you look much older than you are.

Steroids doesn't help you shoot a basketball, but again, I'll ask you, how many times have you heard the phrase "if this guy could gain 20 lbs of muscle he'd be awesome" uttered about a big man.

I can't count the number of times people have said that about different Bulls over the past couple of years.

Why would Lebrons or Oden's mother inject them with steroids as a baby? I mean what would be their initial reason back in 1985 or whatever? I would think they would be concerned about their sons' health more than them being great athletes.

iltdi

Liked Posts:
My guess for NBA ballers that have used roids. Karl Malone and Anthony Mason. Malone had the body and the hair loss, Mason was huge and just exploded from the CBA.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Why would Lebrons or Oden's mother inject them with steroids as a baby? I mean what would be their initial reason back in 1985 or whatever? I would think they would be concerned about their sons' health more than them being great athletes.

Who knows. It's not hard to get a shady doctor to prescribe it. A guy at my old work was talking about giving his kid HGH as a 2 year old so that he'd grow up to be an athlete and be bigger / stronger than everyone else. I mean he had gone so far as to find the doctor to do it and had the prescription, but I don't know if he carried through with the plan.

Maybe I'm too jaded, but I don't think it's hard to imagine that there are parents out there that would do that given I've met one.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
My cousin is a 6'4'' twig and he played ball with Sherron Collin on Crane Varsity. He said Sherron got strong just working out constantly. He didn't use steroids and he's a freak athletically.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Rose1 wrote:
My cousin is a 6'4'' twig and he played ball with Sherron Collin on Crane Varsity. He said Sherron got strong just working out constantly. He didn't use steroids and he's a freak athletically.

I know nothing about Sherron Collin, but I would imagine that someone on steroids / HGH may not be advertising that fact to everyone, and in fact, may be keeping it quite secret.

As a side note, on the "access" thing, clearly by the time these kids have access to AAU coaches, the money/access to this type of thing is no longer an issue. The AAU coaches are paid off by universities and agents to players to commit to them. Clearly they have a huge incentive to make the best players possible as well.

I don't know for sure that it's a problem in basketball, but I think you're being naive if you don't think it's a good chance. People used to say that steroids wouldn't help you hit a baseball either. That's true, they don't, but they sure help you hit one farther. Steroids can make you quicker, faster, stronger, jump higher, heal quicker, etc.. Those are all things that would help you tremendously in basketball.

Granted, I'm not around the AAU culture, it seems like Rose1 is. Maybe there is no steroids going on there, but it's hard for me to believe that some AAU coach hasn't figure out what a huge advantage it would give his kids, especially when they compete against so many weaker kids at that age and how desperate many of them likely are to make it.

HeavyC

Liked Posts:
It's all kind of moot. Within a few years, if not a decade or so, you are going to be able to pretty much genetically change whatever you want in kids before they are born. You are going to have generations of super athletes that are going to make all this steroid and HGH talk look stupid. They won't have to take anything, they'll be superior in every way and won't really have to take any "performance enhancers".

I understand people getting upset with this, but you really have to make your peace with it. This problem isn't going away, and it's going to change drastically in the future. Also, you are crazy if you don't think NBA players are using stuff. You put people in any situation with that much money on the table and have it all based on performance, and you are going to have loads of people doing whatever it takes to get an edge. That's human nature. To expect otherwise would be kind of naive.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
HeavyC wrote:
Also, you are crazy if you don't think NBA players are using stuff. You put people in any situation with that much money on the table and have it all based on performance, and you are going to have loads of people doing whatever it takes to get an edge. That's human nature. To expect otherwise would be kind of naive.

I don't think I'm crazy. Somebody give me some examples of an NBA player(s), who was mediocre, then became a stud. Or an NBA player who's performance became better in their 30's?

I'm sure there are some lower level guys that might have used it. but I don't think it's a problem with the elite players. I think they are just naturally gifted. the LeBrons, the Kobes, the Wades, the Howards.

HeavyC

Liked Posts:
I don't have any off the top of my head, but you commonly see guys have awesome contract years (not just in the NBA, but in all sports). Would it be so crazy to assume that at least a handful might use a few cycles of HGH to just make sure they stay healthy for the full season? That's a clear case to me where a player could clearly benefit.

I think, at the very least, in some of the situations it goes beyond a player just caring more or trying harder for a season. I know if using HGH for a couple of months would guarantee me X million more dollars and I wasn't likely to get caught, it would be pretty tempting.