Is this the best receiving corps in Bears history?

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:

Since it's only been 4 games, maybe the question should be could this receiving corps turn out to be the best in Bears history?

Think about it - the Bears can have Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Burton and Cohen on the field at the same time. All of those guys are playmakers. That's impressive. Maybe there has been better receiving corps but I can't recall any. Help me out here.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The 85 squad had some good players too. Gault, McKinnon, Morehead, Margerum and Payton out of the backfield was pretty potent, if McMahon could stay healthy.

But this group would probably beat this bunch if they stay healthy through the year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gault was sort of a one trick pony but it was an awesome trick. Not like he ever went to a Pro Bowl but he did force a D to scheme him. McKinnon was an average gamer, as was Morehead. Both had 3000 yards for an entire career. Margerum was just OK.

We still haven't see all that we're going to get from AR and Gabriel. AR is not yet up to full tilt but should get there by mid season. Gabriel is now running more routes from more spots and is still a work in progress. He may show a lot more by next year. We may not know what we have in Miller until next year due to the shoulder but he's doing well for a rook. Kind of WR that get good separation for short periods and becomes more effective as he and his QB play together for a while. Shaheen has the potential to be special and Burton a large contributor.

That said, I think Marshall, Alshon and Bennet were a great combo in 2013 when they didn't have their heads up their asses that will be hard to beat. All three went to pro bowls with the Bear, as did Forte.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gault was sort of a one trick pony but it was an awesome trick. Not like he ever went to a Pro Bowl but he did force a D to scheme him. McKinnon was an average gamer, as was Morehead. Both had 3000 yards for an entire career. Margerum was just OK.

It is hard to tell how good they really could have been with competent QB play. McMahon was hurt more often than he was on the field. When healthy this receiving corps was as dangerous as any at that time. I'm not saying they were better, they weren't, but having guys like Tomczak and Fuller throwing to them probably didn't let them reach their full potential. I hope Trubisky can do this with the group he has now. If he fails it won't be because of poor receivers.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps Jim made them as much better when he played as the other QBs held them back.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Since it's only been 4 games, maybe the question should be could this receiving corps turn out to be the best in Bears history?

Think about it - the Bears can have Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Burton and Cohen on the field at the same time. All of those guys are playmakers. That's impressive. Maybe there has been better receiving corps but I can't recall any. Help me out here.

Asking if they have the potential to be the best is vastly different than asking if they are the best, so the answer is no. Bearly got the answer right, but didn't put forte in his answer as you did Cohen for yours.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps Jim made them as much better when he played as the other QBs held them back.

Maybe but imagine this corps with Montana, or Elway, or with Marino. I was never that high on Jim McMahon. He had some talent but would do some shit that Jay Cutler would question. I remember seeing him just chuck the ball into coverage sometimes. When he was good he was very good but he had his moments of head scratching ignorance too.

As I said, I'm not saying this group was better than the current crop, or the Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett combination. That was a good looking group of receivers with Forte catching out of the backfield. That team should have been better than 8-8.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
I think the best was Jeffery and Marshall. I also think Conway and Graham was pretty damn good. Definitely not the first names you think of, but they had a pretty nice year in 95.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On paper, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, and Matt Forte was pretty awesome. But Cutler/Trestman had to fuck that one up.

lol. i thought that offense was taking over (DESPITE TRESTMAN THE BOOB). They had all the potential. I thought they had the division wrapped up and a possible Super Bowl run. lol. My God, I had less faith and less respect in Trestman than anyone I can think of on this board and I still thought they could overcome his idiocy.

Don't lump Super Jay Cutler in with Trestman's failure. Trestman was all sorts of capable in Chicago all by himself.

I also thought the Bears WR's corp had a lot of promise when Marcus Robinson broke out in 1999 with 1400 yds and 9 td's but that all fell apart too.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
lol. i thought that offense was taking over (DESPITE TRESTMAN THE BOOB). They had all the potential. I thought they had the division wrapped up and a possible Super Bowl run. lol. My God, I had less faith and less respect in Trestman than anyone I can think of on this board and I still thought they could overcome his idiocy.

Don't lump Super Jay Cutler in with Trestman's failure. Trestman was all sorts of capable in Chicago all by himself.

I also thought the Bears WR's corp had a lot of promise when Marcus Robinson broke out in 1999 with 1400 yds and 9 td's but that all fell apart too.
What are your thoughts on Eddie Lacy v Matt Forte?

Washington

Liked Posts:
On paper, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, and Matt Forte was pretty awesome. But Cutler/Trestman had to fuck that one up.

^^^^ this. Lots of potential with the current group but we need to see where Robinson ends up compared to Marshall and Jeffery.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
Those receiving corps of Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett/Forte had more talent than any Bears WRs in the past and should have been the most dangerous in the NFL. But as previous posters said, the Trestman/Cutler debacle ruined any chance of that. We had pro-bowl WR's on both sides, a pro-bowl TE and one of the best pass catching running backs on the NFL.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just glad Pace isn't the GM in Green Bay.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Those receiving corps of Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett/Forte had more talent than any Bears WRs in the past and should have been the most dangerous in the NFL. But as previous posters said, the Trestman/Cutler debacle ruined any chance of that. We had pro-bowl WR's on both sides, a pro-bowl TE and one of the best pass catching running backs on the NFL.

We also had Jamarcus Webb as our starting left tackle...

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
From a talent perspective, I really enjoyed the Marshall, Jeffery, Earl and Marty Bennett, Forte years.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett and Matt Forte were all pro bowlers and all on the Bears at the same time. *That* was the best receiving corps.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett and Matt Forte were all pro bowlers and all on the Bears at the same time. *That* was the best receiving corps.

And Cameron Meredith.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
The 85 squad had some good players too. Gault, McKinnon, Morehead, Margerum and Payton out of the backfield was pretty potent, if McMahon could stay healthy.

But this group would probably beat this bunch if they stay healthy through the year.

I would add Dennis Gentry. He was a player like Cohen. Could do many things. Smaller, quick player. I don't think he was as athletic as Cohen is