Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
C'mon people. I understand that the third game is the game that typically shows what you have so far. But it's still preseason. All I see and hear on various fourms and radio stations is people bitching and complaining... Chill.

Remember in 2008 when the Lions were 0-16? Well guess what, they were 4-0 in the preseason.

I know there are some concerns on this team, and I agree. But for what it's worth right now, it's just preseason. We need to chill.

I hate hearing... "Wtf is Cutler doing. He threw 2 ints, he had 7 months to work on this!!!!! blah blah blah"

"This defense blows. we suck, blah, blah, blah"

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is one thing though that I have a major concern with... that is the offensive line. They are just flat out horrible. They cant run block, pass block, or anything without scaring the shit out of Cutler or getting a holding/false start penalty.

Bears are #1

Liked Posts:
Trying telling that to over half the bears fans and see what happens. I agree with you though it is preseason and we will not see what they are truely made of unitl week 1.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
if this is what yall act like in preseason then the regular season is going to be hell on earth

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
The Colts are 0-3 too. I wonder if their fans are acting like the sky is falling.

With that said, the offense has been horrible thus far.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
I fully agree that the preseason means absolutely nothing.

Still looking at our roster, our division, and our schedule I know that even if everything goes perfectly this season we are only fighting for a wild card spot.

SBB1316

Liked Posts:
It is just preseason, but the kind of mistakes that they have been making are definitely a cause for concern. The way the offensive line has been getting beat is the biggest cause for concern. They have young guys, but losing individual matchups and miscommunications can really screw the offense. If Cutler keeps getting hit like that, it will crush his confidence. Another one has been the safeties. I really hope Wright is ready to go for game 1, because he looked the best so far (even though it was only one game).

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks, someone made a thread because that's what I've been saying. We can start judgeing on how they play against the lonely Lions in week 1.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
C'mon people. I understand that the third game is the game that typically shows what you have so far. But it's still preseason. All I see and hear on various fourms and radio stations is people bitching and complaining... Chill.

Remember in 2008 when the Lions were 0-16? Well guess what, they were 4-0 in the preseason.

I know there are some concerns on this team, and I agree. But for what it's worth right now, it's just preseason. We need to chill.

I hate hearing... "Wtf is Cutler doing. He threw 2 ints, he had 7 months to work on this!!!!! blah blah blah"

This is definitely an issue I want to get to tomorrow night on the show, especially as applied to the Bears.

Never once have I heard anyone decry the Bears' lack of wins so far this season. Not a single time have I heard that from anyone. The point of watching and critiquing pre-season play is not to predict how many interceptions Jay Cutler will throw, how many TD's the defense will give up or even how many losses the Bears will have. Likewise, you can't take too much from INT's in the pre-season, lack of a running game, receiving yards, missed field goals, special teams TD's, whatever, almost all of the things we judge a team by during the regular season, none of them matter or are predictive of any future success or failure (I don't know if this is statistically true, but it's a safe assumption, I would guess).

That being said, what you can critique and value are the individual microcosms of on-field play, all of which combine to give you those regular season valuations (TD's, INT's, points, Wins, Losses, etc.). For instance, it doesn't matter that Jay Cutler has been sacked a bunch and on the run for most of the pre-season; as much as I like to make fun of it, it really doesn't matter. What does matter, though (at least more so than the culminating sack), is that Chris Williams has been easily beaten by athletic ends to the outside, and what matters even more is that Williams still struggled to maintain his blocks and keep his man off of Cutler in a game where the preparation was much like a regular season game. Again, the specifics of what happened because Williams got destroyed are inconsequential, but the specifics of how and why Williams was getting beat does not bode well for the regular season.

Furthermore, the fact that the Bears D was soft underneath and unable to get to the quarterback promptly against both the Raiders and Cardinals is at least somewhat dubious in meaning when applied to forecasting the regular season. However, what we can reasonably take from those happenings is that the D is questionable as far as depth goes, as we saw Hunter Hillenmeyer unable to bring down the ball-carrier multiple times and Chris Harris take bad angles to the ball and miss assignments.

Now is not the time to be looking at total yards and points and other macro-level results, but looking at the lower-level happenings that play into those results is certainly justified.

Again, this is a topic I'm hoping to cover tomorrow night, and we want to hear from all of you fans, because this is definitely a chance for some lively debate.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just don't understand how people base how we are going to do in the regular season during the preseason. You don't even play the same teams in the regular season.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
some peoples just got sand in their va jays jays

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I just don't understand how people base how we are going to do in the regular season during the preseason. You don't even play the same teams in the regular season.

Really? You still don't get it? Let's just go with some of the more common notions that have arisen from this pre-season:

1) Chris Harris taking bad angles to the ball. This one is probably the simplest of them all: the route Harris takes to the ball-carrier or the pass is almost completely independent of who he is playing against. Thus, if he is taking bad angles on plays (which make it more likely for the offense, whoever it is, to gain positive yardage) in a fully-planned pre-season game (like on Saturday), it is likely that he will take those same bad angles in the regular season. It's as simple as that. Will his technique in coverage improve over time? Probably, but where he is right now (bad and just two short weeks away from real, go-time football) doesn't bode well for success in that area.

2) Chris Williams blows at stopping the pass rush. This one is a bit tougher, as his success or failure does depend on the other team and game-planning, but how he handled himself in the strict one-on-one matchups he faced against the Raiders and the game-planned contest against the Cardinals showed that he has a difficult time effectively getting his hands on athletic pass-rushers (as well as getting his hands on them at all) and maintaining his blocks. In the vacuum of the pre-season (where the games don't matter), this doesn't tend to matter, but when you look at how he struggled (not the results of his struggling), a very real and justified question mark arises as the Bears move on to the regular season where they will face the very good pass rush of Green Bay, Minnesota and Dallas, just to name a few.

Again, the criticisms (mine, at least) aimed at the Bears so far haven't been the result of the end-game finishes on the field. They are not born out of the what, they are born out of the why. There's a very distinct difference between the two, I suggest you learn it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
While true, the Bears will be playing.....Minnesota twice, Green Bay twice, New England, the Jets, and the Cowboys. How that should make any Bears fan feel good, I'll never understand. If I were a betting man, I'd say that is 6 losses there, maybe even 7 depending on whether or not the Packers decide to rest their players in that second game.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This is definitely an issue I want to get to tomorrow night on the show, especially as applied to the Bears.

Never once have I heard anyone decry the Bears' lack of wins so far this season. Not a single time have I heard that from anyone. The point of watching and critiquing pre-season play is not to predict how many interceptions Jay Cutler will throw, how many TD's the defense will give up or even how many losses the Bears will have. Likewise, you can't take too much from INT's in the pre-season, lack of a running game, receiving yards, missed field goals, special teams TD's, whatever, almost all of the things we judge a team by during the regular season, none of them matter or are predictive of any future success or failure (I don't know if this is statistically true, but it's a safe assumption, I would guess).

That being said, what you can critique and value are the individual microcosms of on-field play, all of which combine to give you those regular season valuations (TD's, INT's, points, Wins, Losses, etc.). For instance, it doesn't matter that Jay Cutler has been sacked a bunch and on the run for most of the pre-season; as much as I like to make fun of it, it really doesn't matter. What does matter, though (at least more so than the culminating sack), is that Chris Williams has been easily beaten by athletic ends to the outside, and what matters even more is that Williams still struggled to maintain his blocks and keep his man off of Cutler in a game where the preparation was much like a regular season game. Again, the specifics of what happened because Williams got destroyed are inconsequential, but the specifics of how and why Williams was getting beat does not bode well for the regular season.

Furthermore, the fact that the Bears D was soft underneath and unable to get to the quarterback promptly against both the Raiders and Cardinals is at least somewhat dubious in meaning when applied to forecasting the regular season. However, what we can reasonably take from those happenings is that the D is questionable as far as depth goes, as we saw Hunter Hillenmeyer unable to bring down the ball-carrier multiple times and Chris Harris take bad angles to the ball and miss assignments.

Now is not the time to be looking at total yards and points and other macro-level results, but looking at the lower-level happenings that play into those results is certainly justified.

Again, this is a topic I'm hoping to cover tomorrow night, and we want to hear from all of you fans, because this is definitely a chance for some lively debate.

:clap:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

We're talking about Bears fans here remember that. :facepalm:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While true, the Bears will be playing.....Minnesota twice, Green Bay twice, New England, the Jets, and the Cowboys. How that should make any Bears fan feel good, I'll never understand. If I were a betting man, I'd say that is 6 losses there, maybe even 7 depending on whether or not the Packers decide to rest their players in that second game.

I know that.

I'm not defending the Bears not looking good. I mean they look bad. But people overreact. It's so stupid. I heard a guy today say that Jay Cutler sucks because he threw 2 INT's last night.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Really? You still don't get it? Let's just go with some of the more common notions that have arisen from this pre-season:

1) Chris Harris taking bad angles to the ball. This one is probably the simplest of them all: the route Harris takes to the ball-carrier or the pass is almost completely independent of who he is playing against. Thus, if he is taking bad angles on plays (which make it more likely for the offense, whoever it is, to gain positive yardage) in a fully-planned pre-season game (like on Saturday), it is likely that he will take those same bad angles in the regular season. It's as simple as that. Will his technique in coverage improve over time? Probably, but where he is right now (bad and just two short weeks away from real, go-time football) doesn't bode well for success in that area.

2) Chris Williams blows at stopping the pass rush. This one is a bit tougher, as his success or failure does depend on the other team and game-planning, but how he handled himself in the strict one-on-one matchups he faced against the Raiders and the game-planned contest against the Cardinals showed that he has a difficult time effectively getting his hands on athletic pass-rushers (as well as getting his hands on them at all) and maintaining his blocks. In the vacuum of the pre-season (where the games don't matter), this doesn't tend to matter, but when you look at how he struggled (not the results of his struggling), a very real and justified question mark arises as the Bears move on to the regular season where they will face the very good pass rush of Green Bay, Minnesota and Dallas, just to name a few.

Again, the criticisms (mine, at least) aimed at the Bears so far haven't been the result of the end-game finishes on the field. They are not born out of the what, they are born out of the why. There's a very distinct difference between the two, I suggest you learn it.

Once again. I'm not defending their level of play or how they have looked. I'm saying the overreacting is stupid. Things can be fixed from now until the season.

The thing I hate is every Bears fan thinks it's the end of the damn world.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I know that.

I'm not defending the Bears not looking good. I mean they look bad. But people overreact. It's so stupid. I heard a guy today say that Jay Cutler sucks because he threw 2 INT's last night.
Ok, that's fine. But you can't get all over people because they see what the Bears have done in three preseason games and they know what they are in for.

Will they beat the Lions in Week 1 when it counts? Probably, but that is because overall the Lions are a bad team. However, the Bears have shown so far, even if it is preseason, that they are not a good team.

Preseason or not, there is nothing to really look forwarded to this Bears season....
Dude Making Obvious Observation. said:
Yeah, but Lovie and Jerry will be fired.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
nvm Lefty read that wrong.

I agree there are things that aren't looking good and wont look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.