Jackson/Flaherty Promoted

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs reporteldy promoted top prospect OF Brett Jackson and U Ryan Flaherty from Double A to Triple A. Jackson's time on the North Side could be arriving. If an OF(s) are traded, look for Jackson to get the call. Byrd, Johnson and Kosuke have interest. With Soriano on the outside. Also, if Ramirez is traded...Flaherty for 3B? Could that be why they made the move in case. I don't know, just sayin'.

It's still nice to see them both getting the promotion, especially Jackson. Vitters most likely next with pitching prospects.

Thoughts?

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh don't see the point in moving Jackson to AAA. He is probably better off in AA til the call up.

Oh well.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe to tell the fans, we believe in Jackson and he's closer to the MLB than we may think.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean I get the whole AAA>AA to the fans, but I would rather him be facing the pitchers in AA who are probably as a whole better than the ones in AAA.

To me AA is a prospects league AAA is a "I'm old and not good enough to play in the bigs, but still holding on to my dream" league.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with your assessment Poods of AAA vs. AA. However, I think given what Jackson really needs to work on (cutting down on strikeouts) might be better served facing more experienced pitchers who will exploit weaknesses in a swing. I guess I see AAA as being guys that are better at pitching as opposed to just throwing. Granted the stuff as a whole is probably better in AA, but Jackson was hittting pretty well against those guys.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
You are totally right, Double A has better players. Triple A is for washed up players. At least this is what I believe.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with your assessment Poods of AAA vs. AA. However, I think given what Jackson really needs to work on (cutting down on strikeouts) might be better served facing more experienced pitchers who will exploit weaknesses in a swing. I guess I see AAA as being guys that are better at pitching as opposed to just throwing. Granted the stuff as a whole is probably better in AA, but Jackson was hittting pretty well against those guys.

I can dig that, and I wouldn't mind seeing him cut it down a bit but if he can walk 13-15% of the time I can deal with a 25% strikeout rate.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can dig that, and I wouldn't mind seeing him cut it down a bit but if he can walk 13-15% of the time I can deal with a 25% strikeout rate.

I don't think the strikeouts preclude him for being successful. I was just offering why I think going to AAA might be useful given that he is clearly hitting well and drawing walks at a decent clip against pitchers who on average have better stuff. The strikeouts though are a concern, and facing pitchers that both have better stuff and control than he has faced could lead to the strikeout rate rising even higher at the big league level.

AceCubbie

Liked Posts:
I suspect that the promotions were as much about opening up two spots in Tennessee as they were about "challenging" Jackson and Flaherty.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I suspect that the promotions were as much about opening up two spots in Tennessee as they were about "challenging" Jackson and Flaherty.

While I don't disagree with that being at least part of the reason, if the main reason the Cubs are doing anything with their best prospect besides trying to improve his chances of success as a major leaguer than I would be very upset.

Flaherty is an interesting case because he has always been kind of on the old side at each level, but he hasn't ever repeated a level either. I like what they've done defensively with him playing all over the field. He could be quite useful in that Mark DeRosa type role. That is provided he can actually hit a little at the major league level.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Call him up tomorrow. :shifty:

Really though, by the time I get back from vacation, Jackson will be in CF. And I'll probably not know what happened to everyone lol.