Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Unfortunately it does not make financial sense.

Daniels wins the job from Whitehair and the Bears have a ten million dollar lineman on the bench. Mustipher makes peanuts...he's your depth player.

But Mustipher is a pure center.

The problem is, if you have Daniels and Whitehair starting, and a guard gets hurt, you're now moving the C to the G spot, and plugging in Mustipher at center, making a change at two positions on the O-Line.

Daniels/Whitehair on the bench, and you can just plug them in at G. Less disruption on the line.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
But Mustipher is a pure center.

The problem is, if you have Daniels and Whitehair starting, and a guard gets hurt, you're now moving the C to the G spot, and plugging in Mustipher at center, making a change at two positions on the O-Line.

Daniels/Whitehair on the bench, and you can just plug them in at G. Less disruption on the line.
The better question is why draft Trey Smith when you already have a center and three guards who are good players?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Here's what I know to be true

Not sure if mustipher is really good or not (looks good to me)

But

He clearly shows that whitehair and bars are definitely NOT centers.

The confusion, whiffs, bad snaps, have all but disappeared since we got a REAL center in the lineup.

Any projection that has Daniels, Whitehair or Bars as our center is awful.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
My thinking? Cut Massie, trade down in the draft to get a bunch of seconds.

There are two tackles I really like: Jackson Carman from Clemson and Daniel Fallele of Minnesota. Get both of them in the second, grab Trey Smith in the first, and the O-Line is solidified.
How did we gain multiple 2nd rounders and grab a first round OT/OG

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My feeling on this issue is you let Whitehair move to LG.
You put Mustipher in competition for center with Daniels, let the best man win there. Thats Daniels natural position too, and he deserves a shot now that he is big and grown and seasoned.
If you have an injury, Daniels provides versatility as the starter or the back-up, but I think he would win Center personally, and Mustipher deserves all the credit in the world for building himself into an NFL player from the practice squad, but a couple games doesn't make you a long term answer, we have to know more.
Maybe we can forego the veteran G/C crap we've been recycling and failing at finding, and focus on tackle with those 4 inside, and options of big bodies simmons, etc to phone booth in an emergency.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

You mean like exactly what happened and is working out well enough to have a discussion about some UDFA that may have never saw the field if Daniels never got hurt???

Second round pick or a dude you guaranteed over ten million a year to the bench for some UDFA that looked good against a few mediocre DLs???

Good luck selling that one!

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Whitehair played Tackle in college. Just put the best 5 out there and let things happen. Like now

He was the best LT in the Big 12 his senior year too. He has short arms but he could probably handle it better than Leno the turnstile.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
How did we gain multiple 2nd rounders and grab a first round OT/OG

I accepted multiple offers, trading down a few spots at a time. Went from 15 to 30 in the course of three trade-downs, landed four second-round picks. A couple of second-round trade-downs secured me two additional third-round picks.

Ended up with a guard, two tackles, a wideout, a RB/WR hybrid, two LBs, and a DT.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It’s clear Mustipher at center, Whitehair at LG, and Bars at RG is working, but what do we do with James Daniels? Mustipher is doing what Daniels couldn’t and allowing Cody to play his natural guard position but has Bars done enough to warrant deeming Daniels a nice luxury back up? He’s looking like another wasted high pick.
The Bears wind up having one of those "good problems" at a position literally nobody saw coming eight weeks ago and now this fella wants to use it against Ryan Pace.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
The Bears wind up having one of those "good problems" at a position literally nobody saw coming eight weeks ago and now this fella wants to use it against Ryan Pace.

Can't put it any better than that.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Second round pick or a dude you guaranteed over ten million a year to the bench for some UDFA that looked good against a few mediocre DLs???

Good luck selling that one!
Mustipher and Bars have looked good for four straight weeks now. I dont care who is opponents are at this point, there is obviously some talent there.

Whitehair can be pretty safely cut year after next. UDFA's unseating veterans, even overpaid veterans, is not uncommon in the NFL. When the chips are down coaches will play the guys who give their team the best chance to win, regardless of draft or contract status.

All four of these guys are under team control for next year at (aside from Whitehair) bargain basement rates. Let everyone duke it out in training camp and to the victor goes the spoils. The odd man out will certainly see plenty of playing time due to injuries.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Mustipher and Bars have looked good for four straight weeks now. I dont care who is opponents are at this point, there is obviously some talent there.

Whitehair can be pretty safely cut year after next. UDFA's unseating veterans, even overpaid veterans, is not uncommon in the NFL. When the chips are down coaches will play the guys who give their team the best chance to win, regardless of draft or contract status.

All four of these guys are under team control for next year at (aside from Whitehair) bargain basement rates. Let everyone duke it out in training camp and to the victor goes the spoils. The odd man out will certainly see plenty of playing time due to injuries.

For once, Da Bears have depth. Why not use it to their advantage?

I trade down in my mocks to get a "second wave" of this type of talent, particularly at tackle. I think I picked out a couple of really good ones, too, in Carman and Faalele.

Not to mention they have size that you can't really coach - one's 6'6", 345 pounds, the other is 6'9", 400 pounds.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

If the coaches really feel Mustipher is this must start player during, hopefully, a proper training camp next summer...I will eat my share of crow. It certainly can happen, I just think it far more unlikely than the bulk of this thread thinks.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Moving Whitehair to RT tackle solves a lot of problems when Daniels returns. Whitehair was one of the best tackles in college his draft year. NFL pass rush is all built on speed now not so much strength so the idea that your RT needs to be a mauler in present day NFL is overrated. Massie is definitely going to be cut this offseason, and Leno is not as noticeable now that the entire OL is playing better overall.

Leno-Daniels-Mustipher-Bars-Whitehair

LT should still be a priority in the draft to replace Leno as soon as the following offseason, but now you don't have to potentially reach in the 1st and could think about the 2nd round.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Moving Whitehair to right tackle will almost certainly cause more problems than it solves. How soon people forget how Bears wasted the best years of Kyle Long's career trying to get him to play the wrong position.

Bars might be able to do it since he's actually played right tackle in the past but he's done so well at guard that I'm hesitant to even do that.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Moving Whitehair to right tackle will almost certainly cause more problems than it solves. How soon people forget how Bears wasted the best years of Kyle Long's career trying to get him to play the wrong position.

Bars might be able to do it since he's actually played right tackle in the past but he's done so well at guard that I'm hesitant to even do that.

Bars is best as a guard/tackle backup. There are at least three positions (LG, RG, RT) he can play reasonably well.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Probably move Daniels to center and plug Bars in at guard. Things wont always be clean once injuries get thrown into the mix.

It's why I like the versatility on the bench. We're shuffling two positions, instead of just one.