James Daniels or Alex Bars?

greg23

Liked Posts:
For once, Da Bears have depth. Why not use it to their advantage?

I trade down in my mocks to get a "second wave" of this type of talent, particularly at tackle. I think I picked out a couple of really good ones, too, in Carman and Faalele.

Not to mention they have size that you can't really coach - one's 6'6", 345 pounds, the other is 6'9", 400 pounds.

Stop referencing your stupid ass mock.....its not real....in fact, I think you'd be the first GM ever to have 16 picks in a 7 round draft......and have you met our GM? He's not acquiring 10 picks in one draft; he's usually starting short handed and ending up with even less.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The Bears have three guys who have played hundreds of snaps each at C in the NFL. They aren't going to target another center just because he's a center.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Bars is best as a guard/tackle backup. There are at least three positions (LG, RG, RT) he can play reasonably well.
Yea I tend to agree that Bars is probably best as a backup. But that's only right now, his career trajectory is basically all positive and especially so over the last third of the season. One thing us fans tend to forget is that players are always getting better and worse, our judgment of somebody one year may get totally flipped on its head the next year. Its certainly possible that Bars is flatly better than Daniels and/or Whitehair by 2021 training camp. What happens then?

Again, this is one of those good problems.

Liked Posts:
It’s clear Mustipher at center, Whitehair at LG, and Bars at RG is working, but what do we do with James Daniels? Mustipher is doing what Daniels couldn’t and allowing Cody to play his natural guard position but has Bars done enough to warrant deeming Daniels a nice luxury back up? He’s looking like another wasted high pick.

If the Bears change their current OL combination with Whitehair, Mustipher, and Bars in the interior of the OL then they are crazy. The LT at Notre Dame Eichenberg (however you spell it) is Leno's replacement at LT. Kmet is a great blocker at TE. When the Bears stopped trying to be the Kansas City Chiefs and started doing everything off of their run game & boot action game that's when the offense took off. They looked like the old Mike Shanahan Denver Broncos offensive teams yesterday. RUN THE FOOTBALL!

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
If the Bears change their current OL combination with Whitehair, Mustipher, and Bars in the interior of the OL then they are crazy. The LT at Notre Dame Eichenberg (however you spell it) is Leno's replacement at LT. Kmet is a great blocker at TE. When the Bears stopped trying to be the Kansas City Chiefs and started doing everything off of their run game & boot action game that's when the offense took off. They looked like the old Mike Shanahan Denver Broncos offensive teams yesterday. RUN THE FOOTBALL!

Actually, I'd be more inclined to keep Leno for a year, and trade down to get an extra second-round pick or two in the draft.

Get either Trey Smith or Josh Myers at guard. If Smith, he starts at RG, Bars as backup. If Myers, then Da Bears go Whitehair-Mustiphar-Daniels, with Myers and Bars as backups.

Add Jackson Carman and Daniel Faalele at tackle. One of Carman/Faalele replaces Massie at RT, the other will be the eventual replacement for Leno. Both of those guys are MONSTERS.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
The Bears have three guys who have played hundreds of snaps each at C in the NFL. They aren't going to target another center just because he's a center.
we're drafting a OT or getting one in FA I agree.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There are four IOL on the team right now that are all under contract next year and have played or are playing well enough to be starters, plus Hambright. I could see getting one cheaper FA or a mid-late draft pick but no way is IOL in need of a heavy investment given the other issues with this roster. With the depth of the OT class and the deficiencies there that almost has to be a first or second round pick.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
There are four IOL on the team right now that are all under contract next year and have played or are playing well enough to be starters, plus Hambright. I could see getting one cheaper FA or a mid-late draft pick but no way is IOL in need of a heavy investment given the other issues with this roster. With the depth of the OT class and the deficiencies there that almost has to be a first or second round pick.
after sewell, how big is the drop off at LT?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
after sewell, how big is the drop off at LT?
I haven't watched all of them play but Sewell is an exceptional prospect so there is a drop off but that doesn't mean the other guys aren't worth taking in the mid-first round.

I think many people have Darrisaw as the #2 LT prospect and then it gets a bit more murky as to who comes next and who is projected to LT. Cosmi, Teven Jenkins, and Mayfield are probably good enough athletes for LT, and then you have Slater who is really good but maybe not LT. He's probably the safest of the group to be really good though. Eichenberg potentially as well. Then there's even more guys on the next tier after that who could go in round two.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
It's a good problem to have and nice to have an actual center getting things organized.

Sign a vet fa center to compete/backup mustipher

Let's the other three figure out the guard spot

Draft a tackle high

Sign a vet tackle

Let Massie go

Keep Leno another year

Still have Hambright/Simmons
Leno has too go or become a backup

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am signing a top OG/C this offseason if I can. We need an actual stud to anchor the interior. All these other guys are just role players and all of them are quite frankly soft as fuck.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
It’s clear Mustipher at center, Whitehair at LG, and Bars at RG is working, but what do we do with James Daniels? Mustipher is doing what Daniels couldn’t and allowing Cody to play his natural guard position but has Bars done enough to warrant deeming Daniels a nice luxury back up? He’s looking like another wasted high pick.
In my opinion Daniels is the starting LG in 2021 and it will be a competition between Whitehair and Bars at RG.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
ifedi was terrible at RT in seattle im not sure how i feel about him and Bars being our 2 options. if Nagy, Lazor, Flip, and Mitch all stuck around next season i would rather let Allen Robinson walk so we have money to spend on the tackle spots if we are committing to the offense Lazor has been running the last couple weeks.
The problem with Ifedi with the Seahawks was penalties 24 total in 2018, and 2019. This year with the Bears it is down to three I believe. You could do far worse than re-sign Ifedi for 2021 especially with the cap space the Bears currently have.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The problem with Ifedi with the Seahawks was penalties 24 total in 2018, and 2019. This year with the Bears it is down to three I believe. You could do far worse than re-sign Ifedi for 2021 especially with the cap space the Bears currently have.

The problem with Ifedi was penalties and he sucked. He wasn't good period with the Seahawks and hasn't been good for us.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The problem with Ifedi was penalties and he sucked. He wasn't good period with the Seahawks and hasn't been good for us.
Actually with the Seahawks he was pretty damn good in a very good run game no matter which starter or backup RB was in. If you are talking about the his pass blocking there you are correct he sucked in Seattle. In a perfect world Bears let him walk but with limited cap space you could do far worse than bring him back on a low end starting OL contract.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Actually with the Seahawks he was pretty damn good in a very good run game no matter which starter or backup RB was in. If you are talking about the his pass blocking there you are correct he sucked in Seattle. In a perfect world Bears let him walk but with limited cap space you could do far worse than bring him back on a low end starting OL contract.

His run block grade was below 60 every year in Seattle outside his rookie season. It is 63.9 this year. He has never been a good player. That is why Carrol let him walk.