Jay Cutler: Get the Facts Straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer

Liked Posts:
I've read most of the Cutler posts and have heard some of what ESPN radio is saying and find it kind of fascinating because the vast majority of those commenting couch the issue as one of "toughness."

No surprise there because the sports culture is one that if player has a pulse he should be playing; yes a touch of hyperbole.

Over the last few years I've on more than one occasion wondered if a player playing hurt is always in his team's best interest. The truth of the matter is that players sometimes play hurt solely to prove their manhood while ignoring the impact on the ability of their team to win with them playing.

It it obvious that Cutler could have played since he could both walk and throw the ball. And he might have been tough enough to have done so. But with his injury would his playing have increased the Bears chances of winning or lessened them?

Pre

Liked Posts:
Cutler is pretty good, but he's not the reason the Bears made the playoffs. He led the league in fumbles, he threw a lot of INTs, he had difficulty making quick decisions, and the Bears passing game was one of the worst in the league. It seemed like he sagged whenever the team sagged, and when the team played well he would play well. Not exactly a leader, IMO.

It's all about the offensive line, man. You can't seriously look at this team and say it's mostly Jay Cutler's fault that the passing game was bad. I reiterate that his supporting cast is the worst in the league. Worst line, probably the worst receivers, and an offensive coordinator whose only success came when he had a team full of Hall of Famers. And Cutler still had a good year.

When the line wasn't completely terrible, Cutler was very good. When they were putrid, he played poorly. No quarterback is going to play well when they're getting pressured immediately after the ball is snapped. It doesn't help when his receivers don't run precise routes and often aren't where they're supposed to be.

The fumbles? Well, sure - when you're taking shots left and right, I can understand that you might not always hold on to the football.

The interceptions? Way down this year, and easily within what it is expected of a gunslinger QB. Cutler threw 16. That's not horrible. Peyton Manning always has double-digit interceptions. Brady and Brees are also usually in that range. Outside of the Redskins game, Cutler didn't go crazy with the INTs. And every QB is going to do that every now and then.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Cutler Hate is Unwarranted.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm hating on his piss poor 1st half yesterday not his injury.

Fine, but the people hating him for being a "pussy" as I've been hearing in a lot of places is unwarranted.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
jay-cutler-most-interesting-man-thumb-580x437-252437.jpg

thedude33

Liked Posts:
OK with an MCL is it really a painful injury or is it one of things where you loose strength and can't push off but it's not causing you to writhe in agony?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
OK with an MCL is it really a painful injury or is it one of things where you loose strength and can't push off but it's not causing you to writhe in agony?

Pain varies. Can be really bad or minor. Sometimes slight sprains hurt more than complete ruptures. The main concern is the stability of the knee.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the same thing happened to Aaron Rodgers, the media would proclaim it as a potential career-threatening injury. Players get hurt. Players sometimes get hurt in big games and aren't able to come back in and play effectively. Could Cutler have hobbled out there on one knee and snapped the ball? Maybe. But was that the best thing for our football team? No.

Even in a game as big as the NFC Championship game, the coaches knew that it wasn't worth the risk of their star quarterback, who Angelo mortgaged the franchise for, sustaining a career-ending injury. The MCL protects your ACL, and another hit on that knee could have completely torn both. Even if we won, we would have had a snowball's chance in Hell of beating the Steelers with Caleb Hanie under center. And Cutler at the very least wouldn't be fully healthy in time for next season.

This comes down to the fact that the media hates Jay Cutler. Short of winning a Super Bowl, Cutler will never again be seen as anything but a quitter in the eyes of the media. They have a narrative that they will go to any length to convey. Jay Cutler could break both of his arms and somehow lead the team to the playoffs and the media will bitch and moan about how he's not tough enough because he didn't throw for 5,000 yards.

Modern sports journalists aren't journalists at all; They're a bunch of vulturous douches.

Jay Cutler is the reason we made it to the playoffs in the first place. Only a handful of other quarterbacks in this league could have survived behind this historically bad offensive line. Tom Brady would have been hospitalized. Kyle Orton would have been murdered. Cutler's mobility and ability to throw on the run allowed him to compensate at times for the play of his offensive line and get the job done.

It's true that we relied on the defense and Hester, as usual. But considering what Cutler has around him, he had an incredible season. He doesn't have a single offensive lineman that's good enough to start in this league, he has total garbage for wide receivers, and he's got a dumbshit for an offensive coordinator.

Considering all that, I'd say he's doing pretty well.

It's all about the offensive line, man. You can't seriously look at this team and say it's mostly Jay Cutler's fault that the passing game was bad. I reiterate that his supporting cast is the worst in the league. Worst line, probably the worst receivers, and an offensive coordinator whose only success came when he had a team full of Hall of Famers. And Cutler still had a good year.

When the line wasn't completely terrible, Cutler was very good. When they were putrid, he played poorly. No quarterback is going to play well when they're getting pressured immediately after the ball is snapped. It doesn't help when his receivers don't run precise routes and often aren't where they're supposed to be.

The fumbles? Well, sure - when you're taking shots left and right, I can understand that you might not always hold on to the football.

The interceptions? Way down this year, and easily within what it is expected of a gunslinger QB. Cutler threw 16. That's not horrible. Peyton Manning always has double-digit interceptions. Brady and Brees are also usually in that range. Outside of the Redskins game, Cutler didn't go crazy with the INTs. And every QB is going to do that every now and then.

LOL

I remember the days where this shit was repeated every week ad nauseam. None of his faults existed, everything was the fault of the OL, receivers and coaches. Of course this was before the Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett days so I guess "Pre" didn't yet know that he would continue to suck regardless of who was around him.

Blast from the past. Good stuff.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Why did I just read this thread and why am I replying to a 6 year old thread?? I don't know. But the cortisone argument was magnificent. Let's get the facts straight: 1) Nobody ever received a cortisone injection for a sprained/torn/ruptured knee ever anywhere ever for any good reason and 2) diabetics (type 1 or 2) have no problems whatsoever receiving cortisone injections. That was a funny majority of that argument.

I feel better now. Cutler MVP 2017.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
LOL

I remember the days where this shit was repeated every week ad nauseam. None of his faults existed, everything was the fault of the OL, receivers and coaches. Of course this was before the Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett days so I guess "Pre" didn't yet know that he would continue to suck regardless of who was around him.

Blast from the past. Good stuff.

Even a horrible defense.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
So desbro is Pre's alt?

Status