Jeremiah Ratliff impressed with Hroniss Grasu.John Mullin

TishLover

Liked Posts:
"And not only by what Ratliff saw when the two faced each other occasionally in practice, but also afterwards, when the rookie sought advice from not only coaches and fellow offensive linemen, but also a long-time top defensive lineman.

“The thing you can’t measure is the fight in a man’s heart and he has that,” Ratliff said. “He has that willingness to learn, always asking questions, wanting to succeed, and really wants to do well.

“As far as his size, I’m not worried about that. As long as he’s working the way he’s working, he’ll get it done.”"

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/hroniss-grasu-impressing-veterans-bears-approach-decision-point

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Jeremiah Ratliff impressed with Hroniss Grasu.John Mullin

Well he's gonna have to make up his mind, we can't keep both on the roster.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He might be more of a project than an immediate impact guy but hopefully he'll start off on the right foot when he plays. I like his upside with some added bulk.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One thing's for certain, that dude is gonna be 15 lbs of lean muscle heavier next year after lifting this offseason and usin every conceivable non anabolic steroid / testosterone combination possible. Especially if he remembers every Bull rush that put him on his ass for 12 games

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Biggs just said on The Score that they've had Grasu in the weight room more than the rest of the team, trying to bulk him up.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
"The thing you can’t measure is the fight in a man’s heart."

Sounds like he's basically saying, "Yeah, he may not be good, but you can't question his heart." Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but hey, hope Grasu works out.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's like asking an old man about life long ago, they'll love ya for your time

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
idk..after listening to Jays confidence at the press coference I am not so sure he is ready quite yet. Hopefully that isnt the case.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
“The thing you can’t measure is the fight in a man’s heart and he has that,” Ratliff said. “He has that willingness to learn, always asking questions, wanting to succeed, and really wants to do well.”

I've heard this before...

rudy300.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This tells me that Grasu is playing as Ratliff is talking him up and building confidence.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I think the plan was for him to be the center next year while learning and getting stronger then take over. I'm really hoping he surprises all of us and he holds his own that would put a nice stamp on an important draft class.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he plays well enough, might as well let him learn on the fly.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I think he will be just fine, so long as he doesn't get pushed backwards 3 yards every time he snaps the ball. Hopefully time in the weight room has added that stoutness he was missing to be a starter in the league.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hroniss Grasu impressing veterans as Bears approach decision point

mullin_insider_bylines.png

hronissgrasubearsslide_0.png

After 11 NFL seasons and a cluster of Pro Bowls, Jeremiah Ratliff doesn’t impress easily. After spending some of Thursday’s practice against rookie center Hroniss Grasu, the Bears veteran defensive lineman was impressed.

And not only by what Ratliff saw when the two faced each other occasionally in practice, but also afterwards, when the rookie sought advice from not only coaches and fellow offensive linemen, but also a long-time top defensive lineman.

“The thing you can’t measure is the fight in a man’s heart and he has that,” Ratliff said. “He has that willingness to learn, always asking questions, wanting to succeed, and really wants to do well.

“As far as his size, I’m not worried about that. As long as he’s working the way he’s working, he’ll get it done.”

With swing lineman Patrick Omameh sitting out a second day of practice with an ankle injury, Grasu’s chances of beginning his NFL career as the Bears starting center next Sunday in Kansas City have taken two steps toward reality.

Omameh has been in meetings but neither he nor left tackle Jermon Bushrod attended practice Wednesday or Thursday. Charles Leno is the presumptive starter at left tackle if Bushrod remains out with a concussion.

Ratliff and the Bears do not appear concerned if Grasu opens at center against the Chiefs. Coach John Fox started Ryan Kalil for three games as a rookie center while in Carolina and Kalil, 299 pounds out of USC, another Pac-12 program, went on to earn four Pro Bowls and one All-Pro designation.

“I think he’s athletic, he gets to the second level, he’s smart, he’s played in a winning program [Oregon],” said Fox. “We liked a lot of his football character. To name a few. He’s not deficient in any area. As far as what offense they’re playing in college, it doesn’t really matter. They have to come in and how they adapt to what we’re doing.”

One key is the comfort level of quarterback Jay Cutler with Grasu, since the two rarely worked together through the offseason, training camp or preseason. With his time at Oregon, Grasu has worked extensively with snapping in the shotgun but considerably less in the direct-snap world of the NFL. That said, the Bears ran 47 of their 75 plays in the Oakland game from a shotgun set.

“With Hroniss you just know that there are going to be some mistakes out there,” Cutler said, adding quickly, “with ‘Slau’ though, too. There are going to be some things that they just haven’t seen. They’re going to experience it. But I know those guys are going to give me everything they’ve got and that’s all I can ask for.

Grasu would be the youngest center Cutler has ever played with, going back to veterans Tom Nalen and Casey Wiegmann in Denver, then Olin Kreutz, Roberto Garza, and then Will Montgomery in Chicago.

“I’ve always had older centers who make your life a little bit easier,” Cutler said. “So Hroniss would be the youngest guy, but it’s fine. He’s going to go out there and he’s going to play his butt off. If we go with Slau, we already have one game under our belt.”

sulleymon

Liked Posts:
"The thing you can’t measure is the fight in a man’s heart."

Sounds like he's basically saying, "Yeah, he may not be good, but you can't question his heart." Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but hey, hope Grasu works out.

i think that speaks more to his size than ability. Centers are strange, seen big ones, seen small ones, most of the time they are just sneering assholes but the smartest guys on the line, like Kreutz.

I think having Olin around will help him immeasurably.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What, has Olin been sniffin the astroturf at Halas Hall lately ?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Umm.. So who is the starting guards if Omameh is out and isn't Vlad hurt?

Slausen obviously but Grasu? Fuck he's small.

I'd really like to have seen the Bears sign a veteran C. I mean Dominic Railoa is old, yes.. But at this point, I'd rather see the Bears someone with experience. We'll see though, I guess.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leno
Slauson
Grasu
Ducasse
Long

Or

Leno
Omaneh, if healthy maybe Fabujule is not?
Slauson
Ducasse
Long