When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Billy Beane pls.

WC Jerome

King of the 'Universe'!!!
Liked Posts:
NW Indiana (just outside my hometown of Chicago)
I'd love to see Theo Epstein come here. Unfortunately, there's no way Boston will part ways with him. They'd be crazy if they did.
Now he would definitely be the ideal guy on the north side. But, you're right, I don't see that happening. :(

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Maybe the Cubs should host fan auditions, just like they did for the Wrigley Field Announcer spot.

I bet they would ultimately find someone better than expected. The only issue is, they couldn't offer them minimum wage. (At least I hope they don't!)

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Billy Beane pls.
This
billy-beane567890.jpg

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's just Rolen at 3rd base :p
Ramon Hernadez, Edgar Renteria, Miguel Cairo, Orlando Cabrera last year...

The guy loves his proven veterans. I will give him that he is right more often than he is wrong on these guys, but I think it is a legitimate concern.
I'd love to see Theo Epstein come here. Unfortunately, there's no way Boston will part ways with him. They'd be crazy if they did.
I can't see Theo leaving Boston either, but that is why Rice Cube was maybe onto something with Josh Brynes. Brynes worked under Theo in Boston. He had an up and down time with the Diamondbacks, and now works for Jed Hoyer in San Deigo. So perhaps while we can't get Theo plucking someone off of his executive tree might not be a bad idea.
Billy Beane pls.

Beane would of course be an interesting target. I always have a concern with GMs that go from small budget to big budget teams. I m sure there are examples of this being successful, but it is hard for me to think of any at the moment. That said Beane would fix my biggest complaint with the Cubs offense for the past fifteen years or more where the majority of hitters in this organization is allegeric to walking.

*****​

Really the Gillick news is interesting because since it has been reported by two people there might be something here. I would have to imagine that if Gillick is coming in as a president of baseball operations type that he has a young, unproven GM in mind for this job. I am just not sure who that would be.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I found this interesting Will Carroll article in the links from the fangraphs article about Jim Hendry. It lists the 10 front office assistants in line to become MLB general managers. The most interesting part was this:

10. Ari Kaplan, Manager of Statistical Analysis, Chicago Cubs
First: Longtime statistical consultant for several teams
School: Caltech
Baseball: College (Division III)
Strength: Analysis
Weakness: Media savvy
Quote: "Ari Kaplan has a passion for baseball and he combines this with a thoughtful and intelligent approach to the game. In my view, he is at the very top of the line when it comes to the development and understanding of the analytical programs available to a Major League team. Ari also has the ability to communicate with all levels in the game; from the minor league pitching coach to the top team executives."
-- Fred Claire, former Dodgers GM

Kaplan is a name many won't know, even inside of baseball. That could change rapidly if Kaplan is given a larger role in running the Cubs baseball operations, something many inside the game feel is coming soon. One baseball exec compared Kaplan's role with the Cubs as what Stu Sternberg did with several current Rays execs in the year before he assumed control. If Kaplan was shadowing the organization, helping Tom Ricketts make decisions about building his own front office, it would surprise no one. It would be a bit more of a shock if Kaplan were given the Andrew Friedman role, however. "There's no question that [Kaplan] is one of the smartest guys around, but he's just a stats guy," one current NL staffer told me. "The scouts won't work for him because he pitched his consulting gig as almost replacing them for years."

Another MLB staffer questioned his personality: "I like Ari, but any comparison to Andrew Friedman means they haven't met both guys. Friedman played up to a level and is great with the media. Ari doesn't have that comfort level yet, and I'm honestly not sure he ever would. Putting him in the line of fire of a Chicago media would be like the cow kicking the lantern."

Even those who think Kaplan is ready believe he would need to be paired with a baseball type, in the way that Friedman has Gerry Hunsicker available. One person familiar with the Ricketts believes that the new Cubs ownership knows that their decision on Jim Hendry and his eventual replacement could define them to the fans. "Risking their reputation on a nobody is tough. It worked out in Boston, but remember that the first choice was Billy Beane there."

I doubt a guy like Kaplan would be a Gillick type hire, but it is interesting to read more about this guy.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Maybe the Cubs should host fan auditions, just like they did for the Wrigley Field Announcer spot.

I bet they would ultimately find someone better than expected. The only issue is, they couldn't offer them minimum wage. (At least I hope they don't!)

that was clearly fixed.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
tbh idk much about gillick..is he good?

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
idk, but the phillies sure as hell are.

he can get us a stud pitcher if he joins the cubs:pray:

nah...but if he is interested....then i think he's be a great addition...not to say he is immediately going to fix the team...but if he is willing to make some trades(especially where they're needed imo which is in the outfield and aramis) and maybe sign a good pitcher/position player in offseason...then bring him aboard(although i have no idea when the cubs are going to let hendry loose but it seems inevitable and relatively soon)

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
he can get us a stud pitcher if he joins the cubs:pray:

nah...but if he is interested....then i think he's be a great addition...not to say he is immediately going to fix the team...but if he is willing to make some trades(especially where they're needed imo which is in the outfield and aramis) and maybe sign a good pitcher/position player in offseason...then bring him aboard(although i have no idea when the cubs are going to let hendry loose but it seems inevitable and relatively soon)

Not he's, it would be he'd...jk, I don't care at all lol.

But yeah I think he'll be a wonderful addition...well anything is better thanHendry and Kenney for sure. Pat for Kenney...Beane for Hendry=bring the WS back to Chicago.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I started a thread for talk about Gillick, but here is some of the cliff notes about his career. He basically built the Blue Jays that won back to back World Series. He took over the team in the late 70s and ran them until the early 90s. He took over the Orioles before they fell completely apart and got them to the ALCS. He then took over the Mariners and built a team that won 116 games, and yes he put together a team that a World Series for the Phillies. The guy is in the Hall of Fame for a reason.

That said he is not coming here to be a GM. He is coming here to be the guy at the top, sort of like Andy MacPhail except MacPhail had more dealings with the business side of things than Gillick wants. He would be in charge of picking the GM and setting the tone for the organization. He is without a doubt the kind of guy you want in charge to build an organization.