Jimmy Rollins?

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
What do you think about getting Rollins?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cubs'll pass, though I wouldn't mind him.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
And then what? Move Castro to 3rd? Or Rollins at 3rd? His bat would be a good addition.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He'll be better than you ever were Ernie :tongue:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He'll be asking for a lot more than he's worth. Don't get me wrong, he's still a great leader and his defense and base running is still fantastic, but his numbers at the plate seem far removed from his MVP season. While he's never been a huge OBP guy, it just doesn't seem like he's able to impact the game as much unless he can get on base.

I mean, if they were able to get Rollins for a short-term contract at a reasonable salary (maybe 2 years, 20-24 million), than maybe he'd be worth taking a stab at. He'd obviously be a defensive upgrade at short over Castro. Maybe move him over to third. Castro could still hit out of the two hole and Rollins would give us a legitimate lead-off guy.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
He'll be asking for a lot more than he's worth. Don't get me wrong, he's still a great leader and his defense and base running is still fantastic, but his numbers at the plate seem far removed from his MVP season. While he's never been a huge OBP guy, it just doesn't seem like he's able to impact the game as much unless he can get on base.

I mean, if they were able to get Rollins for a short-term contract at a reasonable salary (maybe 2 years, 20-24 million), than maybe he'd be worth taking a stab at. He'd obviously be a defensive upgrade at short over Castro. Maybe move him over to third. Castro could still hit out of the two hole and Rollins would give us a legitimate lead-off guy.

Maybe he could be a defensive coach to Castro. Give the kid some pointers and help him figure out his D and then Castro would be a real force.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Maybe he could be a defensive coach to Castro. Give the kid some pointers and help him figure out his D and then Castro would be a real force.

I honestly think Castro will develop more defensively. I always forget he's only 21 since he's played two full seasons already.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:

He's 33. I don't see him getting much beyond 3 years. Also, I was thinking more along the lines if 8 or 9 per.

We absolutely do need a lead off hitter and he's kind of the next best alternative to Jose Reyes. What we do with Castro should depend on position switches and also where Fielder or Pujols hit in the order (assuming we sign one of them). If we sign Fielder, I can see hitting Castro at 3. If we sign Pujols, I can see him staying at 2.

In the long term, I don't see Castro as a SS. I also don't see him as someone who has any interest in bunting, and I think a 2 hitter needs to be able to both and also get on without getting a hit than what you see from Castro. But if we get either Pujols or Fielder, where Castro hit should be dictated by where they hit, not the other way around.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
i'd be down with that...move rollins to 2nd and put barney on the bench

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesnt make much sense in Theo way of building team. Wants guys in prime not after prime. He wouldnt be what you guys call VALUE FA

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Doesnt make much sense in Theo way of building team. Wants guys in prime not after prime. He wouldnt be what you guys call VALUE FA

Theo also spoke of parallel objectives.

His OBP has been in the mid .300s and was also last year.

BTW, Reyes is only 27 or 28. Do you think Theo would sign him?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Not happening, we already got DeJesus to make him our leadoff hitter (should be Castro IMO), and if anybody replaces Barney, I think it would be an actual 2B. If Rollins was 3B it would make more sense though.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think you are making up your own meaning of value.

I am pretty sure what everyone is trying to say is, if DeJesus does well and exceeds his contract then great. If not, he was cheap anyway. No big deal.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure you want a Jimmy Rollins now, even though he's still valuable. He's going to be expensive and also cost a draft pick. I am of the mind that the Cubs are going to waste that draft pick on a huge impact bat rather than Jimmy Rollins.

Now if we're talking about Jimmy Rollins from a few years ago, then I'd say "sure" :D I wouldn't use him at leadoff though because he makes too many outs, but that's just me.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Getting Rollins IMO hurts Castro not helps

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
Getting Rollins IMO hurts Castro not helps

How so? At the very least I think Castro could learn a lot having a veteran of his style teach him and help him through the game. Defensively and offensively.