Joe Thomas on selecting a QB.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-take-a-pass-rusher-with-no-1-pick-not-a-qb/

Left tackle Joe Thomas has spent his whole career with the Browns and he’s spent time blocking for more than his fair share of quarterbacks over the years.

That might make you think that Thomas would be banging the drum for the Browns to take a quarterback with the first overall pick this year. That’s not the case however.

“I would say you want to go defense,” Thomas said on The Dan Patrick Show. “I think you need to get a pass rusher. … You gotta be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don’t help your team at all. Whereas if you pick a defensive lineman and maybe they don’t live up to the hype, you can still find a place to get him on the field and to have an impact. We’re a team that needs guys that can come in and start and that can contribute. I think that’s the risk of taking a quarterback.”

The question for the Browns is whether they would be reaching for a quarterback with the No. 1 pick or if the player they’d be taking is the right choice in that spot. As the Browns know, you could wind up with Tim Couch a year after Peyton Manning went in the same slot and it’s hard to know for sure which side of that fence you’re going to fall on when you’re handing the envelope to the Commissioner.

That makes the next few months of evaluation all the more important for the Browns, who also have the 12th overall pick to use to bolster their roster. If there isn’t a quarterback that fits their bill and they don’t trade down for the second year in a row, Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett could wind up as their choice.

Is he right or wrong?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Browns need "D" in the first 2 rounds. Then they need a "O" in the 3rd round i.e. a wr or a OLineman

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
A Lineman is not gonna say we need a QB. He kinda has to back the current guys and deflect these questions.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True but the Browns really can't afford to fail. Also nice is that the 49ers really need D as well. Problem there is that they now have an O minded HC that may be willing to trade for that pot of gold and allow a team like the Jets in front of us. I think the Browns stick and take Garrett because he's Garrett and the 49ers are a crap shoot. If I'm Pace and I want a particular QB early, I try and trade with the 49ers asap. If the Browns fuck that up, you get Garrett as a consolation prize. All good. If Pace doesn't feel that strongly about a QB this is obviously moot.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Joe Thomas is a good soldier.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Browns player saying taking a DE is safer......'member Courtney Brown?..I 'member...

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe they can get another Barkevious Mingo.

Anyway, the Browns are not in the same position as the Bears. They drafted a QB in the third round last year (which is where many of our posters seem to want to draft our QB this year) and seem to be keen on seeing what they have in him. The Bears have neglected the position and have nothing.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I think the Browns should just let Kessler and RGIII compete. Kessler actually played alright this past season considering he was on the worst team and RGIII help the Browns end their losing streak.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
If the Browns aren't taking a QB, they need to trade down. One pass rusher isn't worth the value you can get in a trade for the first overall.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
If the Browns aren't taking a QB, they need to trade down. One pass rusher isn't worth the value you can get in a trade for the first overall.

There is no one for teams to trade up and mortgage their future picks for and the Browns already have 2 firsts. Although, I could see them trading down from their 2nd 1st. Fact is Browns need impact players now.