Jonathan Wood Thread on Justin Fields

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This should be good.

Justin Fields has finished his 2nd NFL season, and the Bears have clearly committed to him as their quarterback for at least 2023. With that in mind, let’s take stock of how Fields grew (and didn’t grow) from his rookie season, where his strengths and weaknesses lie, and what he needs to improve to take the next step.

Like I did with Fields in Focus last offseason, this will be an in-depth series exploring several different aspects of Fields’ performance in 2022. The overall breakdown will look like this:

• Part 1: Comparison to rookie season and growth throughout 2022
  • Part 2: Where and how effectively Fields threw the ball.
  • Part 3: How Fields did on different types of plays (play action, quick vs. slow developing).
  • Part 4: How often Fields was under pressure, and who was to blame.
  • Part 5: How Fields performed under pressure.
  • Part 6: How efficiently Fields produced explosive plays.
  • Part 7: How Fields did against man and zone.
  • Part 8: Fields’ future outlook.
I'LL KEEP POSTING UPDATES AS THE COME IN.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1683150178060.png
Jonah-hill-no GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That really is a terrible logo lol

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It’s very obvious what the plan is for Fields and this offense

They’re going to beat the shit out of you up front and wear you down. RBBC, read options, designed runs for Fields, outside zone…then play action bombs to their skill players who all have elite speed.

Personally, I love it and they’re maximizing their personnel that way. Fields will never be Mahomes , but that doesn’t mean he can’t be similarly effective. He doesn’t need to throw it a ton to put points on the board

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Wood is an interesting guy. I believe he is a statistics professor and you can clearly see he is stat focused from the articles. I think sometimes he can miss the forest for the trees when making conclusions from the numbers but he definitely brings the fire statistics.

Nelly

Liked Posts:

They’re going to beat the shit out of you up front and wear you down. RBBC, read options, designed runs for Fields, outside zone…then play action bombs to their skill players who all have elite speed.

Personally, I love it and they’re maximizing their personnel that way. Fields will never be Mahomes , but that doesn’t mean he can’t be similarly effective. He doesn’t need to throw it a ton to put points on the board
Hey let's keep this discussion family friendly alright?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If it's on DBB (much like SpOrTsMoCkErY), I respectfully disagree on it being worth reading.
DBB has those awful “”insider” takes. Wood has some short-sighted analytical takes but at least this has been worth reading. But that’s probably because I am so bored.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

That is all good and well but he absolutely has to improve his short game. It sucks and is necessary to sustain drives long enough to benefit from his deep and intermediate passing.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't care if it's by dbb or not; if someone else is going through the trouble of watching and breaking down all the film, analyzing and then summarizing the results, then go ahead and post a link. Otherwise? Have a Coke and a smile...

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If it's on DBB (much like SpOrTsMoCkErY), I respectfully disagree on it being worth reading.
I've already read both posts and thought they were good. I mean, may not work for YOU but an eight-part profile looking at various aspects of his game? Worth it. I already see things I like. Totally worth reading.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That is all good and well but he absolutely has to improve his short game. It sucks and is necessary to sustain drives long enough to benefit from his deep and intermediate passing.

While he is learning to get better at the short passing game though, it's just plain smart to maximize what he CAN do well.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I've already read both posts and thought they were good. I mean, may not work for YOU but an eight-part profile looking at various aspects of his game? Worth it. I already see things I like. Totally worth reading.

I always found it to be intellectually lazy to not read an opposing viewpoint just because you don't like a person, especially if they bring facts.

Now, if the person you don't like is just repeating themselves with different words, THAT I get tuning out (Erik Lambert).

But if they are always bringing fresh takes and go through the trouble to make a compelling argument?

I'm sorry but the people who go "hur, dur, not reading it, nya nya!" are literally the LAST people I'd be taking advice from. But as has been said - to each their own.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Of course. Never said he doesn’t have things to improve upon. Just pointing out the type of offense the bears are planning to run and it will mitigate that weakness until/if he improves on it

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
DBB has those awful “”insider” takes. Wood has some short-sighted analytical takes but at least this has been worth reading. But that’s probably because I am so bored.
Glad you’re good man. Atlanta was insane yesterday

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So no fuck it I’m going deep club