Jonathan Wood Thread on Justin Fields

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  • Fields struggles on short passes and needs to improve here, which is a repeat pattern from his rookie year, but not something that was an issue for him in college, giving hope that issues are more mental than physical and can be improved. Again, the DJ Moore acquisition should aid in this improvement.
  • Fields avoids the middle of the field and needs to get better at attacking this area to improve as a passer overall.

JF is fine mentally. Getsy needs to design routes that take advantage of the middle.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He rushed 160 carries last season and it's unsustainable long term.

While this offense will be unique it will still require some traditional 3 step drop and release to keep the QB healthy. The focus was on WR and OL to give Fields a more traditional passing game and keep him alive.

"3 step drop and release"

I've been hoping Getsy would do more of this for JF and the OL

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part Six: Explosive Plays

Lessons Learned

If you didn’t track everything in the article above, here’s a nice quick summary of the most important takeaways:

• Last year, with Fields under center, the Bears featured their most explosive offense since 2018. Unfortunately, that still only put them around average in the NFL, and their scoring (at least once Fields settled in around Week 5) followed suit.
  • One way to produce more explosive plays will be to pass the ball more. The Bears were quite explosive when they did pass, especially when you factor in Fields’ explosive scrambles.
  • There is also hope for explosive play improvement from personnel upgrades:
    • WR DJ Moore and RB D’Onta Foreman both have a track record of producing plenty of explosive plays, so giving them touches should lead to an increase in explosive plays.
    • David Montgomery is the least explosive RB in the NFL, so removing him is addition by subtraction for the run game.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part Seven: Man vs Zone

Lessons Learned

If you’re not a fan of wading through 1200 words of content and just want the main takeaways, this is the section for you!

• Fields threw a lot of touchdowns against man coverage, but otherwise struggled.
    • This was especially stark throwing to WRs, where Darnell Mooney was the only WR capable of producing when somebody manned up on him.
    • New additions DJ Moore and Robert Tonyan both have a history of producing against man coverage, which should help.
  • Fields moved the ball efficiently against zone coverage but had more interceptions than touchdowns.
    • He was especially impressive throwing to WRs, which speaks well to his growth from his rookie year.

Pedro V

Liked Posts:
If it's on DBB (much like SpOrTsMoCkErY), I respectfully disagree on it being worth reading.
You say this like there are sport sites that give nothing but excellent analysis and are constantly putting out content worth reading. What are they? If they exist please fill me in.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
You say this like there are sport sites that give nothing but excellent analysis and are constantly putting out content worth reading. What are they? If they exist please fill me in.

I've read multiple articles on both DBB & SpOrTsMoCkErY and didn't find either of those sites useful hence why I said I respectfully disagree on them being worth reading. If you like those sites, more power to you and read what you enjoy.

For myself, I don't find speculative analysis during the offseason (especially 4+ months until real games that matter are played) to be particularly interesting or useful so I don't read them. The last two years, since I've been following the Bears specifically, all I've seen are homer analysts (whether on twitter, blogs, or youtube) vastly overrating the quality of the Bears roster collectively and individually. Then the real games start and reality hits that the roster still sucks. Rinse and repeat. It bores me.

I don't believe this team is competing for anything this year so I don't care about offseason hype. Maybe a year from now when I'm expecting them to actually contend for a playoff spot, I'll get suckered in. Until the Bears actually show something on the field worth being excited about, I'll stick to reading @JordanSigler articles about contract signings/trades and tidbits about former players during the offseason. Personal preference but I have zero interest in getting my hopes up of things being different thanks to speculative offseason hype.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
I've read multiple articles on both DBB & SpOrTsMoCkErY and didn't find either of those sites useful hence why I said I respectfully disagree on them being worth reading. If you like those sites, more power to you and read what you enjoy.

For myself, I don't find speculative analysis during the offseason (especially 4+ months until real games that matter are played) to be particularly interesting or useful so I don't read them. The last two years, since I've been following the Bears specifically, all I've seen are homer analysts (whether on twitter, blogs, or youtube) vastly overrating the quality of the Bears roster collectively and individually. Then the real games start and reality hits that the roster still sucks. Rinse and repeat. It bores me.

I don't believe this team is competing for anything this year so I don't care about offseason hype. Maybe a year from now when I'm expecting them to actually contend for a playoff spot, I'll get suckered in. Until the Bears actually show something on the field worth being excited about, I'll stick to reading @JordanSigler articles about contract signings/trades and tidbits about former players during the offseason. Personal preference but I have zero interest in getting my hopes up of things being different thanks to speculative offseason hype.

You...know you don't have to choose between bloggers right? There are like, actual journalists with actual sources that actually do more than regurgitate other peoples work? If you're looking for content on Twitter or blogs you are doing it wrong. YouTube is mostly crap too. The Athletic, Peter King, Albert Breer.

That said these articles are a decent read. Just an in depth analysis of Fields' season.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
You...know you don't have to choose between bloggers right? There are like, actual journalists with actual sources that actually do more than regurgitate other peoples work? If you're looking for content on Twitter or blogs you are doing it wrong. YouTube is mostly crap too. The Athletic, Peter King, Albert Breer.

That said these articles are a decent read. Just an in depth analysis of Fields' season.

Thank you captain obvious. I, as a former journalist, have never heard of such an idea of reading actual journalists. Never once occurred to me.........

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Week Eight, Final Thoughts

Final Thoughts

Justin Fields proved in 2022 that he can make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Now the Bears have worked to upgrade the ingredients in the offense around him, and it’s time to find out what he can do with them.

It’s possible all we get is a better chicken salad. This is exactly what happened a decade ago in Chicago with Jay Cutler. Like Fields, Cutler had lots of big plays and plenty of bad ones while being forced to spend his first few years in Chicago making it work as best as he could behind a bad offensive line and throwing to bad wide receivers. By the time the Bears finally gave him a solid supporting cast, he had developed too many bad habits trying to survive to ever reach his full potential.

That history may repeat itself with Fields, but there’s also the tantalizing possibility that he uses the new and improved ingredients around him to make a gourmet meal. That’s the dream every Bears fan has been hoping for since Sid Luckman retired in 1950. 2023 is the year when we’ll know definitively if, after 73 years, the Bears have finally found their next franchise quarterback.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Week Eight, Final Thoughts

Final Thoughts

Justin Fields proved in 2022 that he can make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Now the Bears have worked to upgrade the ingredients in the offense around him, and it’s time to find out what he can do with them.

It’s possible all we get is a better chicken salad. This is exactly what happened a decade ago in Chicago with Jay Cutler. Like Fields, Cutler had lots of big plays and plenty of bad ones while being forced to spend his first few years in Chicago making it work as best as he could behind a bad offensive line and throwing to bad wide receivers. By the time the Bears finally gave him a solid supporting cast, he had developed too many bad habits trying to survive to ever reach his full potential.

That history may repeat itself with Fields, but there’s also the tantalizing possibility that he uses the new and improved ingredients around him to make a gourmet meal. That’s the dream every Bears fan has been hoping for since Sid Luckman retired in 1950. 2023 is the year when we’ll know definitively if, after 73 years, the Bears have finally found their next franchise quarterback.

I don't think JF and cutler can be mentioned in the same sentence. JF is coachable, hard worker and a leader. cutler was not.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Lessons Learned

If you didn’t track everything in the article above, here’s a nice quick summary of the most important takeaways:

• Last year, with Fields under center, the Bears featured their most explosive offense since 2018. Unfortunately, that still only put them around average in the NFL, and their scoring (at least once Fields settled in around Week 5) followed suit.
  • One way to produce more explosive plays will be to pass the ball more. The Bears were quite explosive when they did pass, especially when you factor in Fields’ explosive scrambles.
    • WR DJ Moore and RB D’Onta Foreman both have a track record of producing plenty of explosive plays, so giving them touches should lead to an increase in explosive plays.
    • David Montgomery is the least explosive RB in the NFL, so removing him is addition by subtraction for the run game.
"3 step drop and release"

I've been hoping Getsy would do more of this for JF and the OL
It was easily as much on Fields as the play calls. Don't get me wrong, I expect a huge jump and passing performance increase this year but to blame all that on Getsy is just wrong. Fields was still extremely tentative throwing into short zone and had a lot of short stuff close back up by the time he would throw or just never come back to an open under.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Lessons Learned

It was easily as much on Fields as the play calls. Don't get me wrong, I expect a huge jump and passing performance increase this year but to blame all that on Getsy is just wrong. Fields was still extremely tentative throwing into short zone and had a lot of short stuff close back up by the time he would throw or just never come back to an open under.

The Last paragraph in link #108 outlines my thoughts on what JF needs to do . Clearly as OC..... Getsy has to properly utilize the offensive talent. Does put that all the blame on Getsy, absolutely not. Getsy and JF have to work on 'short zone' passing.

Yes given what I've seen of JF's intelligence, work ethic, winning attitude and leadership......I expect a jump in overall team offensive performance this year. (y)

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Athletic is awesome. I still re-read that article "It all starts with the McCaskey's"

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Last paragraph in link #108 outlines my thoughts on what JF needs to do . Clearly as OC..... Getsy has to properly utilize the offensive talent. Does put that all the blame on Getsy, absolutely not. Getsy and JF have to work on 'short zone' passing.

Yes given what I've seen of JF's intelligence, work ethic, winning attitude and leadership......I expect a jump in overall team offensive performance this year. (y)
You've been on it from the start R&S. Some of these fools on CCS need to recognize! ✊