Kashmir 16m

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Do you like Lackey or Kazmir for around the same amount of money?

Tough call

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Do you like Lackey or Kazmir for around the same amount of money?

Tough call

Both! Lackey seems to be a better fit however with his ties to Lester, Ross, and the FO, and I like the fact that it also weakened the Cardinals.

Of the righties I liked the Lackey signing. If they would have went after a lefty other than Price (which they new they were not going to get), I would have preferred Kazmir.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Lackey for the simple reason that he can make it a third time through the rotation more often than not. Kazmir is much like Hammel and Hendricks in that he struggles there. Adding Kazmir to the Cubs staff over Lackey would not have addressed that particular area of need.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Can't complain with what the Cubs did so far. To make anything better they would have to weaken another area. That said adding Kaz would have been fine in replacing Hammel but he is a questionable upgrade to him. 1st half Hammel was pretty much top of the Cubs rotation.

Arrieta: 10-5 2.66 ERA
Hammel: 5-4 2.86 ERA
Hendricks: 4-4 3.55 ERA
Lester: 4-8 3.59 ERA

2nd half:
Arrieta: 12-1 .75 ERA
Lester: 7-4 3.04 ERA
Hendricks: 4-3 4.44 ERA
Hammel: 5-3 5.10 ERA What killed him was his lack of effectiveness. IP dropped to 67 IP in 14 games from 103 in 17 GS.

They should be able to figure out what happened but with the added depth in the pen of ex-starters I doubt they will be force to rush back a injured starter.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looking at next year pitching FA, Strasburg is the only under 30 FA at 28..
I doubt the Cubs make a play for him unless they back load a deal starting in 2019..
So, im guessing that they will be looking hard at making a deal by the deadline with whomever looking to unload young arms for young bats

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looking at next year pitching FA, Strasburg is the only under 30 FA at 28..
I doubt the Cubs make a play for him unless they back load a deal starting in 2019..
So, im guessing that they will be looking hard at making a deal by the deadline with whomever looking to unload young arms for young bats

I would think they would let Johnson and Edwards compete for Hammel's rotation spot. They are still good next year outsider of him. Even so if he rebounds I believe he has a option year still.

At the end of the day adding another top arm I believe becomes necessary only if it starts to look like they can not retain Arrieta long term and are forced to trade. At that point I would look to get a young ToR in return as Arrieta should hold high trade leverage.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would think they would let Johnson and Edwards compete for Hammel's rotation spot. They are still good next year outsider of him. Even so if he rebounds I believe he has a option year still.

At the end of the day adding another top arm I believe becomes necessary only if it starts to look like they can not retain Arrieta long term and are forced to trade. At that point I would look to get a young ToR in return as Arrieta should hold high trade leverage.
They dont necessarily need to go after a top arm if they choose to make a deadline deal, they can easily just go get a younger arm that an upgrade over Hammel or even Hendricks if he struggling.
They can basically go after the young hot product at the deadline if they choose to..

They have 2 years to decide on Arrieta and if he remains a TOR type starter in 2016, im sure they will try to extend and extra 3-5 yrs at a reasonable cost next off season

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They dont necessarily need to go after a top arm if they choose to make a deadline deal, they can easily just go get a younger arm that an upgrade over Hammel or even Hendricks if he struggling.
They can basically go after the young hot product at the deadline if they choose to..

They have 2 years to decide on Arrieta and if he remains a TOR type starter in 2016, im sure they will try to extend and extra 3-5 yrs at a reasonable cost next off season

I would rather let Johnson and Edwards battle in AAA. Let the better get a opertunity. A year behind will be Underwood and Stinnett. Year after Ceace and the lefties.

The talent is there. It took time as it was planned that way. Short term bats with rentals/trades making the staff. Long term system development.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would rather let Johnson and Edwards battle in AAA. Let the better get a opertunity. A year behind will be Underwood and Stinnett. Year after Ceace and the lefties.

The talent is there. It took time as it was planned that way. Short term bats with rentals/trades making the staff. Long term system development.
Unless i missed it and they changed their mind, Edwards been turned into a bullpen guy.

Johnson only had 16 starts in AA last year due to injury,
Earliest ETA on him if all goes well will be towards end of year if needed.

If their in the race and Hammel and or Hendricks are threading water come July, i think they make a move outside to solidify the top 4 in rotation. .

The 5th spot , they can stay within if need to..

Not dismissing the younger talent in organization but as you say their still a couple years away which puts their availability for a possible Lackey and maybe Arrieta replacement in rotation. .
Just saying if there a chance to add a seasoned young arm at deadline, i think theyll be players

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Unless i missed it and they changed their mind, Edwards been turned into a bullpen guy.

If their in the race and Hammel and or Hendricks are threading water come July, i think they make a move outside to solidify the top 4 in rotation. .

Not dismissing the younger talent in organization but as you say their still a couple years away which puts their availability for a possible Lackey and maybe Arrieta replacement in rotation. .
Just saying if there a chance to add a seasoned young arm at deadline, i think theyll be players

Not saying that will not. But, Hammel off the books with a option year. Can still pick it up. Next year Edwards/Johnson should see time. On Edwards I'm not sure they were making him a pen guy. They were trying to reduce the innings on his arm. We will see the direction they go but as far as pen arms the pen is loaded right now. Even Ramirez will have a hard time to break into the pen with the current depth.

Year after will be Arrieta's walk year. I'm not sure what direction they go here. If his arm is sound this up comming year after that work load you have to talk extension. If it is questionable and he wants a pay day that takes him to 38 you have to think trade while his value is high and get a young ToR in return. That is what will dictate things.

He is the thing: Johnson/Edwards would be replacing Hammel. If his value increases they have the option of retaining or if they need a payroll cut and one of the 2 are ready they can let him walk. That is the reality. They are not forced to do anything. Arrieta is a whole another case. We are talking a top 5 pitcher in the league which holds heavy trade value and his loss impacts the whole team. Normally you can never replace the impact he will give so you just pay the man. But you never know. He may never have a ace season again. Doubtful but could happen. Regardless that becomes a trickier decision vs replacing a back of the rotation.

Eventually they are going to have to start paying these young bats and you are going to have to look at the farm to produce cheaper pitching to find cost savings. It is just the nature of the business. Adding more potentially short term answers (as they will also be looking at a pay day at the same time Bryant etc will) is not the best choice to keep the team flexible financially. Having a farm that is producing talent is.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Johnson and Edwards will both compete for a bullpen spot this year but it's a crowded picture. Edwards is likely a reliever going forward but Johnson could start. His ceiling is as a #4 guy though so I wouldn't count on him too much. As far as a trade at the deadline I would almost count on it. Most of the major national media types, Nightengale and Heyman most notably, are convinced the Cubs are going to trade for another arm before the season. If projections for Soler were higher I would agree with them but they're not giving Soler away and right now Baez' value to the team exceeds his value in trade. They don't really need that arm quite yet though, it's more long term stability. Don't be surprised if Adam Warren doesn't get every chance to beat out Hammel or Hendricks for one of the BOR slots.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Both! Lackey seems to be a better fit however with his ties to Lester, Ross, and the FO, and I like the fact that it also weakened the Cardinals.

Of the righties I liked the Lackey signing. If they would have went after a lefty other than Price (which they new they were not going to get), I would have preferred Kazmir.

Exactly, we cannot deny the ties to Lester and the simple fact it makes the Cards weaker! Say no more, imo. I still think people are underestimating Warren as a 4th, and Maddon's flexibility will make that work.