Khalil Mack could be a force in 2021

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Look for Soaring Khalil Mack Numbers​

Numerous factors blended to hold down Khalil Mack's numbers in 2020 even while his overall effectiveness was at a peak level, so a return to normalcy could lead to skyrocketing statistics.

The common NFL fan or a fantasy fan in an IDP league looks at Khalil Mack's nine sacks last year, 8 1/2 in 2019 and might deduce the Bears pass rusher has seen his best days at age 30.
They would be jumping to a ridiculous conclusion.

Mack continues influencing games and dominating much like in 2018, when possible. His 2020 Pro Football Focus grade indicated as much. Even when Mack made nine sacks last year, he finished the season with the highest grade of any edge defender at 92.5. It equaled his grade in 2016 when he was defensive player of the year with the Oakland Raiders.

Actually, Mack made 10 sacks last season, and the 10th was a strip-sack against Atlanta. An unsportsmanlike penalty against Mario Edwards Jr. after the ball had already been knocked out of Matt Ryan's hand eliminated Mack's sack.
Mack's production was even more impactful than nine or 10 sacks indicated. Twice more he stripped the ball on sacks but it was recovered by the offense.

In the postseason, Mack made a critical 14-yard sack of Drew Brees but officials flagged Kindle Vildor on a questionable holding penalty. The resulting first down let the Saints continue a touchdown drive that put the Bears too far behind for a comeback.

Last season Mack's brilliance seemed greater because he he played in pain almost every week.
Mack was on the injury list four straight weeks early in the season due to a knee injury, for two games due to back injuries, in one game with an ankle injury and three games with a shoulder injury. It was this injury which actually seemed to plague him through much of the season.
Mack required no surgery and the Bears anticipate something even bigger from their All-Pro edge rusher in 2021.
Scheme may have something to do with their belief.
New defensive coordinator Sean Desai will bring the defense more in line with what Vic Fangio had them doing in 2018.
Mack is also being coached by a new position coach, Bill Shuey, who already knew him as an assistant in the past.
"He's an interesting guy because he's so intrinsically motivated to be the very best," Shuey said of Mack. "So for me, it's to be a support for that, and to your point, to challenge him, he sets the stamp — the crazy thing is those guys that are great and elite, they typically are going to be their own toughest critic.

“So, the good thing is, when he and I speak, and you know he and I have a trust, he puts things into the atmosphere, so to speak, then it gives me the opportunity to hold him accountable for those things, or just to motivate him, or to nudge him if he needs it."

The double- and triple-teaming of Mack could become more difficult now with the defensive front restored to 100% following the return of Eddie Goldman. It wouldn't make as much difference on passing downs because Goldman was out of those, anyway.

However, on first- or second-down when teams went to the air or play-action, a defensive front with both Akiem Hicks and Goldman draws plenty of attention from blockers to the interior and Mack can be more impactful than he was in those situations the last two seasons. It figures to be even more difficult for blockers after defensive lineman Bilal Nichols emerged last season as a play-making force.

And then there is the Robert Quinn factor. If Quinn ever starts making sacks, pocket mayhem can ensue in pass-rushing situation. It's then when a pass rusher like Mack is at his best.

Another situation rendering Mack less effective last year was the fact the Bears only twice in their first 11 games had leads larger than a touchdown. They were playing from behind constantly throughout their six-game losing streak. A larger lead lets defenses tee off on the pass rush. Deficits make pass rushes virtually non-existent.

If some of these factor change, Mack's 2021 projection can be better even than the 2020 season PFF's grade described as equaling his best. In fact, it could be his best statistical season ever.

Khalil Mack at a Glance​

Career: Eighth season, 70 1/2 sacks, 23 forced fumbles, 22 pass defenses.

2020: 9 sacks, 13 QB hits, 31 pressures, 50 tackles.

Key Number: Mack was off the injury report only for six games in 2020 but missed no games.

2021 Projection: 14 sacks, 4 forced fumbles.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
I feel like I’ve heard every excuse in the book for Mack lol. He gets held every play, he’s been playing hurt, he has no help etc. Like all good pass rushers don’t deal with pretty much the same stuff and still end up with double digit sacks

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
Sacks were down across the board last year - and yes, it is because of all the holding. The NFL and their officiating group made a conscious effort to not call offensive holding last year. It was even a storyline and more than one unnamed executive and coach basically said they tell their offensive lineman to hold every single play because the NFL won't call it.

Mack is still an impact player that other teams have to account for. I don't think that has changed, but yeah his overall production has dropped. The real miss here to me was the Bears continuing to insist on building defense over offense in this new modern era of the NFL doing everything it can to help the offense with their rules and their officiating. Don't get me wrong, you still need a strong defense to win a championship, but to even get to the playoffs you have to be able to put points on the board. And the Bears had put significantly more resources into their defense than their offense. And quite honestly, are not getting the return on that investment.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
So, return of the Mack, again?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
When Leonard Floyd gets more sacks than Mack, it should tell you scheme and the players around you actually matter..

Opposing QBs don’t need 5-7 step drops to beat the bears. It was always quick passes to whoever Skrine/Danny were covering with the rare max protect deep throw. Rest assured, the Bears offense will give you the ball back real quick, especially in the 3rd qtr. This leads to extremely limited sack opportunities.

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
LOL at 14 sacks. He has regressed every year after 2018. I predict 7. Hope I am wrong. I bet gruden is enjoying that gift basket.
He might have regressed as far as sack numbers but he still has a high motor and can turn it around at any moment.

What has Gruden been enjoying? He has two losing seasons with an overall record of 11-29 or something like that. The Bears have at least made the playoffs twice with Mack. Yes the Bears gave up a lot but have definitely come out better than Gruden.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this will make for a good bump.
Just an observation by the author with facts to back it up. Most of the great sack artist in the past put up numerous double digit sack seasons while in their 30's. Strahan had his two best sack season at 31 and 33. The author of the article stated that anyone that thinks Mack is on the decline by just looking at his sack totals truly does not understand the position he plays the effect his teammates have on his actual sack total. It doesn't mean he is still not playing at a high level. I'm guessing the #1 reason Mack and the defense have appeared to take a step back the last couple years is due to the fact they know their offense sucks and no matter hard or good they play there's a good chance they will not win the game. That would have to have some type of phycological effect on anyone. If Fields and the offense do what people think they are capable of by the second half of the season I can see the defense as a whole playing better simple because they know they can directly affect the outcome of the game.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Just an observation by the author with facts to back it up. Most of the great sack artist in the past put up numerous double digit sack seasons while in their 30's. Strahan had his two best sack season at 31 and 33. The author of the article stated that anyone that thinks Mack is on the decline by just looking at his sack totals truly does not understand the position he plays the effect his teammates have on his actual sack total. It doesn't mean he is still not playing at a high level. I'm guessing the #1 reason Mack and the defense have appeared to take a step back the last couple years is due to the fact they know their offense sucks and no matter hard or good they play there's a good chance they will not win the game. That would have to have some type of phycological effect on anyone. If Fields and the offense do what people think they are capable of by the second half of the season I can see the defense as a whole playing better simple because they know they can directly affect the outcome of the game.
I am not looking at the sack totals. He just isn't the same guy that he was in 2018.

Remember this guy.

He is gone for good.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think that guy is gone for good. I think part of it again goes back a players psyche. Mack was motivated, healthy, and had a chip on his shoulder. He also was playing in a system built for the players around him. The level of self-motivation in an NFL player is difficult to measure and is a big reason why someone who should be a dominant player out of college never really amounts to anything other than average. I think Jay Cutler was the perfect example. They is no denying Jay was extremely talented coming out of college. Kiper still has Jay as one of the top 10 QB's in terms of raw talent to ever come out of college. The fact that he never gave a shit enough to get his footwork right even though many coaches tried to work with him on it shows Jay never really had the self-motivation or desire to be great. Cris Carter once said that fans would be stunned if they knew how many players in the NFL really didn't care if their team won or lost. They wanted to financially secure them and their families future first and foremost. Secondly they wanted to stay healthy enough to enjoy life after football. Not that they didn't try hard to excel because if they did it meant more money. I have to believe a healthy, motivated Mack can still play at a level pretty close to what he has in the past.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
He needs to be a force with statistics at his salary. No excuses.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Mack didnt give a shit the last two seasons. I expect a big season from him this year. Hes got plenty left in the tank.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I said from the first game last season Mack looks hurt. I'm convinced that he played pretty fucked up pretty much all season.