Lakers scared Bulls will sign Christian Wood

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think I'd really prefer PJ Washington.
Same.

Although Wood isn’t a good defender and has character concerns, he’s not a bad fallback option. Can play the 4/5 and can shoot from deep. Also provides much needed rebounding and posted a 20 & 19 PER the past two seasons (20 for his career) and a career .130 WS/48

Those are all big time metrics and if it wasn’t for his character concerns, would be a slam dunk signing. Still think he would help a lot

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Same.

Although Wood isn’t a good defender and has character concerns, he’s not a bad fallback option. Can play the 4/5 and can shoot from deep. Also provides much needed rebounding and posted a 20 & 19 PER the past two seasons (20 for his career) and a career .130 WS/48

Those are all big time metrics and if it wasn’t for his character concerns, would be a slam dunk signing. Still think he would help a lot
I'll be honest: I don't know much about Wood or Washington outside of cursory glances at numbers throughout their careers. THAT SAID: they both seem like guys who have feasted on being on bad teams. I'd take Washington because he's younger.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I'll be honest: I don't know much about Wood or Washington outside of cursory glances at numbers throughout their careers. THAT SAID: they both seem like guys who have feasted on being on bad teams. I'd take Washington because he's younger.
I’d take Washington too but I’d also take wood. Bad team or not, you don’t put up those type of efficiency and WS numbers if you’re not a good player. Surely, he has some deficiencies too, but the Bulls aren’t in position to turn down a player like that. Should be relatively cheap too, similar to a Drummond situation.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Bulls could actually go into the tax this might be a possibility (or PJ Washington), but in reality it's not even on the table unless somehow they're planning to dump some salary away for nothing.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If Bulls could actually go into the tax this might be a possibility (or PJ Washington), but in reality it's not even on the table unless somehow they're planning to dump some salary away for nothing.

I’m not sold on that. From all accounts, his character concerns could significantly drive down his price. I think everyone was shocked how little Drummond got last year. Wood could be in the same boat. Isn’t the MLE or DPE like 10 mil? That could potentially get it done.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m not sold on that. From all accounts, his character concerns could significantly drive down his price. I think everyone was shocked how little Drummond got last year. Wood could be in the same boat. Isn’t the MLE or DPE like 10 mil? That could potentially get it done.
MLE leftover for Bulls is maybe like 7M and DPE is little over 10M yes. Would that be enough to sign him? Probably at this point. But that's not the issue. The issue is that as it stands if the Bulls used the full MLE value (so combined Wood+Jevon Carter salary = 12.2M) or the DPE, they would be in luxury tax range and Jerry ain't really paying for that.

I know AK has claimed that he has the go ahead to go into the tax, but I'm not taking that at face value. We know Reinsdorf is cheap af and this team isn't worth going into the tax for anyway (despite Wood or Washington being a nice upgrade that would probably make this team way more watchable)

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I will say that if somehow they got Wood for the minimum, then there is no "hard cap" blocking them from doing so

I forget what the exact "tax space" amount is and it also depends on if Ayo ends up coming back or not since his QO also counts towards that space I believe.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I will say that if somehow they got Wood for the minimum, then there is no "hard cap" blocking them from doing so

I forget what the exact "tax space" amount is and it also depends on if Ayo ends up coming back or not since his QO also counts towards that space I believe.
Ayo is redundant. They have enough guards and he doesn’t really give them anything they need (shooting/playmaking). Can they rescind the QO?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ayo is redundant. They have enough guards and he doesn’t really give them anything they need (shooting/playmaking). Can they rescind the QO?
It's a bit wonky, they would have been able to rescind it without any input prior to July 13, but since it is after that they can only rescind it if Ayo agrees to it.

From: Article 11 FREE AGENCY | NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement - 2023.
  1. A player who receives a Qualifying Offer must be given until the October 1 following its issuance to accept it. Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a Qualifying Offer may be withdrawn by the Team at any time through the July 13 following its issuance. If the Qualifying Offer is not withdrawn on or before July 13, it may be withdrawn thereafter but only if the player agrees in writing to the withdrawal. If a Qualifying Offer is withdrawn, the player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent. If a Qualifying Offer is withdrawn on or after July 14, the Team also shall be deemed to have renounced the player in accordance with Article VII, Section 4(g). A player may not accept a Qualifying Offer after the October 1 following the issuance thereof, unless the Team, prior to October 1, extends the date by which the player may accept the Qualifying Offer. In order to extend the date by which a player may accept his Qualifying Offer, a Team shall provide the player with written notice of the extension, which shall be either personally delivered to the player or his representative or sent by email or pre-paid certified, registered, or overnight mail to the last known address of the player or his representative. For clarity, there shall be no limit on the number of times a Team may extend the date by which a player may accept a Qualifying Offer. In no event may the acceptance date for a Qualifying Offer be extended beyond, or may a player accept a Qualifying Offer beyond, the March 1 following its issuance.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
MLE leftover for Bulls is maybe like 7M and DPE is little over 10M yes. Would that be enough to sign him? Probably at this point. But that's not the issue. The issue is that as it stands if the Bulls used the full MLE value (so combined Wood+Jevon Carter salary = 12.2M) or the DPE, they would be in luxury tax range and Jerry ain't really paying for that.

I know AK has claimed that he has the go ahead to go into the tax, but I'm not taking that at face value. We know Reinsdorf is cheap af and this team isn't worth going into the tax for anyway (despite Wood or Washington being a nice upgrade that would probably make this team way more watchable)
Bulls only pay the tax if they're in the tax at the end of the season.. sooo trade deadline dumps!

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Bulls are eventually bringing back Ayo short of some other team offering him a deal.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol that is a fair point actually
That's what they did in 2013-14.

As you may recall, Reinsdorf lived up to his word and said he'd go into the tax for a contender and he felt his team was a contender prior to Rose tearing his ACL. Bulls were going into the tax in 2012-13 regardless of what happened to Rose. They were again tax bound in 13-14, but with Rose out for the season once again, they dumped Luol Deng at the trade deadline and I believe that got them under the tax.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's what they did in 2013-14.

As you may recall, Reinsdorf lived up to his word and said he'd go into the tax for a contender and he felt his team was a contender prior to Rose tearing his ACL. Bulls were going into the tax in 2012-13 regardless of what happened to Rose. They were again tax bound in 13-14, but with Rose out for the season once again, they dumped Luol Deng at the trade deadline and I believe that got them under the tax.
Right, and I suppose they could similarly dump Derozan somewhere if they had to. The return would probably be crap but if they were just trying to dump him, pretty easily done. I'm sure they could dump Drummond also if they only needed to shed a few million (more likely case if they signed a player like Wood)