Lamarr Houston, FA DT target?

Liked Posts:
The defensive tackle market is pretty light this year.

Outside of Melton (injured, arrested) and Linval Joseph (aabove-average player, certainly, but not exactly an impact player), we don't have a lot of options.

That being said, how would you feel if we mad a run at Lamarr Houston? I know he played DE in Oakland's scheme, but he was a DT in college at Texas and would give us some scheme flexibility if we decide to switch to a 3-4 in the future. Would certainly provide us with some penetration up the middle.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I'm a big fan of his, lots of speed lots of power. 6 sacks for a 3-4 DE is very good. I just have no clue what he will get on the FA market, because as a 4-3 DT the price is higher than a 3-4 DE correct?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
actually he played some DT for them as well....I think he could play the position and the Raiders may not re-sign him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Raiders have 70 million in cap space and he is one of their only bright spots.

Why would they not re-sign him or franchise him?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Raiders have 70 million in cap space and he is one of their only bright spots.

Why would they not re-sign him or franchise him?

Well, they ARE the Raiders? But you're probably right.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If the Bears are ready to cut ties with Melton, Houston makes a lot of sense as a replacement. He's entering his prime, still has potential to improve, and gets the defense younger. I also like resigning Ratliff as a veteran presence in the rotation, he's still got some gas in the tank.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
houston and michael johnson or michael bennett would go a long way towards fixing the front 7. if emery can do that, and then byrd or ward at safety, we'll be in pretty good shape.

not done fixing the defense, mind you, but in pretty good shape.