Law says Astros to pass on Appel for Gray

patg006

Liked Posts:
Dont have much more than the first 2 lines of the espninsider article, but the headline says straight from the almighty Prophet Law. Jonathan Gray seems to be the pick to the Astros. Insider people feel free to add the text/skinny.

So now the scenario seems changed...Mark Appel falls to the cubs laps, a dream scenario for some of us, pointless for the others who think Kris Bryant is the guy.

And Boo, who likes Sean Manea :tongue:

Discuss...and please, keep it on topic. We wouldnt want the semantics police to get called...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone is arguing if the Cubs have to chance to take Appel to pass on it. It is in fact a dream scenario if true.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Dont have much more than the first 2 lines of the espninsider article, but the headline says straight from the almighty Prophet Law. Jonathan Gray seems to be the pick to the Astros. Insider people feel free to add the text/skinny.

So now the scenario seems changed...Mark Appel falls to the cubs laps, a dream scenario for some of us, pointless for the others who think Kris Bryant is the guy.

Discuss...and please, keep it on topic. We wouldnt want the semantics police to get called...

I may have said I like Manaea at one time because he was a lefty and I did like what I saw in him at Terre Haute when he pitched, but I thought my first choice was Gray. Check the #82 post of the "It's another Vogelbomb" thread?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

All I see is a mock draft with my Insider, unless there is some new news, this is just speculation.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
could make sense for astros taking gray if they feel he more signable for a lower price, that way they have more money available for other picks considering they need alot of help to get back into contention and especially in the AL west..

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
could make sense for astros taking gray if they feel he more signable for a lower price, that way they have more money available for other picks considering they need alot of help to get back into contention and especially in the AL west..

And Gray really may be the better talent, definitely seems to have better stuff lately.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Appel 'nowhere near' the top of Houston's draft board... Astros have Gray still in the mix however most seem to believe they plan to take a position player at 1... Mocking strictly from info:

Astros: Kris Bryant, OF
CUBS: Mark Appel, P
Rockies: Colin Morin, 3B
Twins: Jonathan Gray, P
Indians: Braden Shipley, P

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats what the insider had.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Bet Gray goes before Moran then, and wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs took Gray instead if both were available

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gimme dat Appel.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have't followed much someone got a scout report on each or anything?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If gray falls to the twins that would be a pretty nice gift for them at no.4

patg006

Liked Posts:
Appel 'nowhere near' the top of Houston's draft board... Astros have Gray still in the mix however most seem to believe they plan to take a position player at 1... Mocking strictly from info:

Astros: Kris Bryant, OF
CUBS: Mark Appel, P
Rockies: Colin Morin, 3B
Twins: Jonathan Gray, P
Indians: Braden Shipley, P

Astros starting to look largely into Colin Morin, not sure if hes on a short list, but Astros scouts showing up alot lately to UNC games.

I like this mock from Silence.....I can see it going that way. Though I dont think the Rockies would pass on SP.....

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Astros starting to look largely into Colin Morin, not sure if hes on a short list, but Astros scouts showing up alot lately to UNC games.

would it be safe to say the Astros may take the best cheap/signable guy they can get..
all very good players, just might take the guy that wont cost as much and signable..

patg006

Liked Posts:
Have't followed much someone got a scout report on each or anything?

Appel has been the best starting pitcher in college for the last 2 years, with a great fastball at 95-97 until later into a game where it drops to 93-95 with normal fatigue. Dude is a workhorse who's built like and compared to Mark Prior. He is considered much better than Gray due to his secondary, tericiary pitches being solid while his change can be erratic/needs some work. Ace material who needs light seasoning in the minors. If Appel gets signed right away, he could be like Chris Sale, up in August and play some games at the end of the year.

Gray has an outstanding fastball that reaches triple digits and tails off with movement. His power curve is decent, but other pitches need work. Not too major. Ace material who needs moderate seasoning in the minors.

Alot of beatwriters say the cubs are enamored with Kris Bryant's bat. If he could stay at 3B, which alot of scouts are saying he cant--he's the surefire pick.

Colin Moran is the flavor of the week, after Bryant being considered an OF option, Moran is now the best 3B prospect.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Appel has been the best starting pitcher in college for the last 2 years, with a great fastball at 95-97 until later into a game where it drops to 93-95 with normal fatigue. Dude is a workhorse who's built like and compared to Mark Prior. He is considered much better than Gray due to his secondary, tericiary pitches being solid while his change can be erratic/needs some work. Ace material who needs light seasoning in the minors. If Appel gets signed right away, he could be like Chris Sale, up in August and play some games at the end of the year.

Gray has an outstanding fastball that reaches triple digits and tails off with movement. His power curve is decent, but other pitches need work. Not too major. Ace material who needs moderate seasoning in the minors.

Alot of beatwriters say the cubs are enamored with Kris Bryant's bat. If he could stay at 3B, which alot of scouts are saying he cant--he's the surefire pick.

Colin Moran is the flavor of the week, after Bryant being considered an OF option, Moran is now the best 3B prospect.

And now, on to the weather with meteorologist Mount Salami. :cool:

Willrust

Liked Posts:
John Sickels has posted a list of draft eligible players with signability issues:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/20/4344286/2013-mlb-draft-players-with-signability-questions

Mark Appel makes his list, and his statements could lead credence towards the Astros passing again on Appel. Sickels has this to say regarding Appel:

Hear me out here. I DO think he will sign. The question is when and how. There is a question about how much leverage Appel has. I'd be scared to take him because he has too much leverage. Whatever team takes him will rely on him for their entire draft. He has no deadline to sign while everyone else that they take will, other than college seniors. That means you can't go over slot with any other picks, because you don't know where your budget is.

If he doesn't sign, you don't get that money in your budget and you are stuck. It wouldn't surprise me to see him not sign by the signing deadline of July 12th to make sure he gets the most he can. On the other hand, if the Astros draft him, offer him $1 million under slot and he signs in a week based on a handshake that he'll be in the majors next spring, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Based upon speculation that the Astros plan is to underslot the top pick in order to overslot later, you have to believe that Appel wouldn't be their pick given that Boras is his agent and it is highly unlikely that a Boras client will sign a deal without letting the deadline come down to the wire; hence not allowing the Astros to stick to their underslot/overslot plan.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
A lot can change, but the Astros aren't very high on Appel. So that wouldn't surprise me.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;PpmOv_EhynI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PpmOv_EhynI[/video]