Leddy to possibly replace Soupy?

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meanwhile, in a potentially interesting development, there are rumors of the Hawks possibly preparing to offer 19-year-old University of Minnesota defenseman Nick Leddy a contract.

Leddy was one of the most impressive players at the recent prospects camp, singled out Bowman for his play over the four days.

"Nick Leddy was excellent," Bowman said at the conclusion of prospects camp. "It's the first time we've seen him here in Chicago because we traded for him during the season, but he's really smooth out there. He's going to be a Blackhawk for many years."

Leddy was acquired from the Minnesota Wild last February with Kim Johnsson in exchange for Cam Barker.

If the Hawks do have interest in signing Leddy, it could add some substance to the rumblings of Bowman shopping defenseman Brian Campbell.

The Hawks might see the smooth-skating Leddy as a replacement for Campbell.

University of Minnesota coach Don Lucia told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune on Wednesday that as far as he knew the Hawks had not offered Leddy a contract.

Lucia told the Star-Tribune the Hawks were impressed with Leddy's conditioning and that his body fat was measured at six percent.

Campbell has a limited no-trade clause in his contract that still has six years to run with a substantial cap hit of $7.1 million.

The clause allows Campbell to pick eight teams he would agree to be traded to. Campbell said at Monday's premier for the Hawks' Stanley Cup championship video that that list of eight teams is on file with Bowman.
Link

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bowman sure loves that "going to be a Blackhawk for many years" phrase.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
This thread is ridiculous. I watched Leddy play at prospects camp and yes he is very smooth and has a ton of potential but he is not even close to being physically ready for the NHL... especially on the 2nd pairing were he would be seeing significant minuets. Also we have Vishnevskiy and Lalonde who are both great skaters and play a more offense game like Leddy and Campbell who are much further along in their development than Leddy and are much more physically mature. Whoever wrote that article either forgot to state he thought Leddy would be able to fill that role in 2-3 years or he is a complete moron.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread is ridiculous. I watched Leddy play at prospects camp and yes he is very smooth and has a ton of potential but he is not even close to being physically ready for the NHL... especially on the 2nd pairing were he would be seeing significant minuets. Also we have Vishnevskiy and Lalonde who are both great skaters and play a more offense game like Leddy and Campbell who are much further along in their development than Leddy and are much more physically mature. Whoever wrote that article either forgot to state he thought Leddy would be able to fill that role in 2-3 years or he is a complete moron.

This is exactly what I was thinking. He needs at least another year at Minne.

stormbolter73

Liked Posts:
There was a piece on ESPN insider that said that Leddy would NOT be making the Hawks so it's all just speculation and hear say. I don't think he makes it this season despite being one of the guys Bowman thought were standouts at rookie camp.

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
Maybe Leddy replaces Campbell ... in 2 or 3 years. If (big IF) Bowman is really trying to trade Campbell this offseason and if (even BIGGER IF) he make a deal with one of the 8 teams Campbell approves of, it should have been done by now. But at this point when it looks like all the required salary purging is complete, why trade Campbell now when he clearly is a valuable 2nd pair d-man with elite PMD abilities.

The other point is why rush Leddy? He will probably benefit by maturing physically before having to play against men atthe NHL level, plus why be in a hurry to start the ELC clock running?

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe Leddy replaces Campbell ... in 2 or 3 years. If (big IF) Bowman is really trying to trade Campbell this offseason and if (even BIGGER IF) he make a deal with one of the 8 teams Campbell approves of, it should have been done by now. But at this point when it looks like all the required salary purging is complete, why trade Campbell now when he clearly is a valuable 2nd pair d-man with elite PMD abilities.

The other point is why rush Leddy? He will probably benefit by maturing physically before having to play against men atthe NHL level, plus why be in a hurry to start the ELC clock running?

By the numbers (if they are correct), Leddy is just 1" shorter and 10# lighter. Not much to make up in a year's time, but ultimately, yeah, it's not his time yet. Yeah, I'd look to next offseason to move Soupy or if things aren't looking good by the deadline (which I highly doubt) and if there's a surprise team with room who want to push for a top PMD, maybe an opportunity shows itself.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I highly doubt Leddy makes the team, but in a few years, like others have said, he will be a valuable member of our Defense