Let The Call Ups Begin

chibears55

Liked Posts:
the cubs have recently brought up JR Lake, chris rusin, eduardo sanchez, donnie murphy, and now logan watkins..(valbuena DL )

seeing that their roster has 4 OFers, 6 IFers, and 8 RELs it looks as if there may be more movement coming soon

adding murphy and watkins, im guessing ransom and barney will be put through waivers..
they will probably look to see if they can make a deal if claimed, especially with barney..

id like to see jake arrieta brought back up and villenueva put back in bullpen to finish out the year..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
the cubs have recently brought up JR Lake, chris rusin, eduardo sanchez, donnie murphy, and now logan watkins..(valbuena DL )

seeing that their roster has 4 OFers, 6 IFers, and 8 RELs it looks as if there may be more movement coming soon

adding murphy and watkins, im guessing ransom and barney will be put through waivers..
they will probably look to see if they can make a deal if claimed, especially with barney..

id like to see jake arrieta brought back up and villenueva put back in bullpen to finish out the year..

Arrieta will not be brought back up until he can play without losing a year of service time. Ricketts bout that money son.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Arrieta will not be brought back up until he can play without losing a year of service time. Ricketts bout that money son.

In a lost season, it's the smart play.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

first im not your son...

A year of service time is equal to 172 days, and there are normally around 183 total days in the major league calendar. This means that if a team wants to keep a prospect from accruing a full year of service time, they simply need to leave that player in the minors for around 15-20 days out of the entire season.
i believe their pretty safe with arrieta and not worried about losing a year of service time..
plus he was up for most of 2010,11,and 12 so his earliest ARB will be 2014 and they have control until 2017

plus jake arrietta is 27 YO. were not talking about a kid here that could be a potential big time player who will command big money.. he already has 70 Games under his belt, its time to give him some starts now and see if he can be a part of the rotation for 2014.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Firsty, you are uber sensitive. I was saying Son like in a joking manner. I was stressing the son like "YEA, SON"

Secondly, ever heard of super 2 status? Arrieta would be arbitration eligible if he makes enough starts. The Cubs don't want that. They want to keep him cheap another year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/super-two/

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Firsty, you are uber sensitive. I was saying Son like in a joking manner. I was stressing the son like "YEA, SON"

Secondly, ever heard of super 2 status? Arrieta would be arbitration eligible if he makes enough starts. The Cubs don't want that. They want to keep him cheap another year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/super-two/

● If they have less than three years of service time, but more than two.

arrieta has 2.066 yrs of service time, if they bring him up now he will still be less then 3 yrs

so he still going to fall into this category, whether they bring him up now or wait til the start of 2014 if he wins a spot in ST..

So if a player finishes a season and is just shy of three years of service time (say, 2 years and 171 days) then MLB will award them Super Two status and they’ll be eligible for arbitration. Since these players are still under team control for another three seasons, that means Super Two players get four year of salary arbitration instead of the typical three.

so again, he 27 YO.. there no point in sitting him in minors now if they feel he can be a part of the rotation for 2014, and i dont see where they would be saving much money on him with ARB... its not like his 5 or so starts he gets will make a big difference of how much he will get paid for 2014.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am hoping Arrieta is allowed to pitch soon for the Cubs because his first start with us was pretty good. Never been a question about his stuff, but if he puts it together he could be a pretty good one. Second of all Donnie Murphy is your prototypical organizational filler veteran. Ransom is not going to be bumped for the roster for a 30 year old veteran with nearly 600 big league veterans. Really the only other position players that might get called up is Olt if he gets it going, Vitters/BJax if healthy and recovered, and outside shot at Alcantara.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I would like to see Vitters up and see what he can do this year...along with Olt.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Glad to finally see watkins up and starting. . hopefully he gets a chance to play and takes over 2B to finish out the year... appreciate what Barney done but unfortunately his lack of offense hurts..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I expect vitters up soon, Olt is struggling even more since the trade.. dont expect him up this year unless he can put together a good week plus of ABs.. I can see him going to winter ball and hopefully get it together to compete for 3B in ST

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I like seeing Watkins up, but we are talking about someone hitting .234 this season in AAA. Odds are he won't improve on those numbers in the majors. It would be nice to see Vitters and Jackson brought back up again. I don't think either of them has much of a future with the Cubs or even in MLB but it would be nice to give them each another shot.

Would have loved to see Olt given the 3B job the rest of the season but he is struggling mightily. I'm not losing faith in him as he was good last year before his vision problems. I think he needs the offseason to get his mind back on track and hopefully he opens 2014 as our 3B.

I would rather lose Gillespie and give B-Jax another go around. He deserves another shot in a lost season

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
● If they have less than three years of service time, but more than two.

arrieta has 2.066 yrs of service time, if they bring him up now he will still be less then 3 yrs

so he still going to fall into this category, whether they bring him up now or wait til the start of 2014 if he wins a spot in ST..

So if a player finishes a season and is just shy of three years of service time (say, 2 years and 171 days) then MLB will award them Super Two status and they’ll be eligible for arbitration. Since these players are still under team control for another three seasons, that means Super Two players get four year of salary arbitration instead of the typical three.

so again, he 27 YO.. there no point in sitting him in minors now if they feel he can be a part of the rotation for 2014, and i dont see where they would be saving much money on him with ARB... its not like his 5 or so starts he gets will make a big difference of how much he will get paid for 2014.

•MLBTR's Tim Dierkes reports that Arrieta has two year and 99 days of service time, meaning that the Cubs can avoid Super Two status if he accumulates less than 53 days of service time this season (Twitter link). If Arrieta picks up fewer than 73 days of service time, he will be controllable through the 2017 season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jake-arrieta/

chibears55

Liked Posts:
•MLBTR's Tim Dierkes reports that Arrieta has two year and 99 days of service time, meaning that the Cubs can avoid Super Two status if he accumulates less than 53 days of service time this season (Twitter link). If Arrieta picks up fewer than 73 days of service time, he will be controllable through the 2017 season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jake-arrieta/

ok, theres 55 days left til the end of the season, he can start next weekend and be under both..
so, once again. i would like to see him brought up and get some starts in to finish out the season..