Losing to bad teams

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
One of the biggest problems the bulls had last year is they kept losing to teams they had no business losing to. Do you foresee a situation where they will have a streak of losing to bad teams?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
One of the biggest problems the bulls had last year is they kept losing to teams they had no business losing to. Do you foresee a situation where they will have a streak of losing to bad teams?

depends....do they have a stretch where they go without guys like rose, noah, and Gibson again like last year too???

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It happens to everyone, so yeah I can see it happening

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The NBA isn't like college. Even bad teams are pros with players that belong in the NBA, also why point differentials aren't that wide of a gap. So anyone can get hot and not a whole lot can stop it from happening.

Playing down to opponents, that is true. We have had that issue in the past. Fred was "mic'ed up" on TNT when we played the Cavs. He was trying to drill the concept of "killer instinct" into players minds. In the context of what he was relaying(context is important, because Killer instinct isn't this scientific term with a strict meaning), it was to pour it onto teams while they were ahead. No letting loose. Good on him and I hope it sticks, because if you do blow teams out, before anyone gets sick of hearing it, you have bench players playing garbage time.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The NBA isn't like college. Even bad teams are pros with players that belong in the NBA, also why point differentials aren't that wide of a gap. So anyone can get hot and not a whole lot can stop it from happening.

Playing down to opponents, that is true. We have had that issue in the past. Fred was "mic'ed up" on TNT when we played the Cavs. He was trying to drill the concept of "killer instinct" into players minds. In the context of what he was relaying(context is important, because Killer instinct isn't this scientific term with a strict meaning), it was to pour it onto teams while they were ahead. No letting loose. Good on him and I hope it sticks, because if you do blow teams out, before anyone gets sick of hearing it, you have bench players playing garbage time.

every coach in the history of the nba has said this to their players :shrug:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
every coach in the history of the nba has said this to their players :shrug:

And the following sentence explains the elaboration to his context because I thought someone might not catch the context if they missed that part of the game and how it went down. Yet, despite explaining it in context, the point was glanced over and skipped.

The point is, a killer instinct is subjective and bares many meanings because it can be applied differently. Hoiberg is choosing to apply it specifically to running the score up. That is his rhetoric in huddle and focus in the classroom/video room/practice court.
So when he says in a huddle or practice to demonstrate killer instinct, it is his code and sportsmanlike way of saying "running the score up." It will bare that meaning almost every time, and will be used in that context.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
If there's a team to not fall into the pit of playing down to your opponent it could be the Bulls so long as they're healthy. Because they have such a close roster, that is their top 5 players aren't that far ahead of the next 5 all the time. If Hoiberg sees the starters aren't in sync and get down in the first quarter he can up the minutes of the bench for that game and maybe Brooks, McDermott, Moore, Noah and Gibson get something going and play more of the second half than the usual starters. I tend to believe Hoiberg is willing to play the hot hand much more than Thibs ever was because he never wanted to give an inch on defense.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Will find out early here this season. They should get out to a 5-0 start here to kick off the campaign. The only teams they should have trouble with are the Thunder, and Warriors over the next few weeks.

I mean it is bound to happen at least a couple times over the course of the season, just have to limit it obviously

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Beating good teams > losing to bad teams