Lovie on new QB Gutierrez: He needs reps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Vaughn McClure

BOURBONNAIS -- As the Bears all but wrapped up training camp Thursday with a light practice in sweltering heat, coach Lovie Smith reflected on the strides his team's made throughout the three weeks.

"I think all areas we made progress,'' Smith said. "You start off your first day of contact and you see some things that you need to do. I know we're a better football team now than the first day we played. But it's all a part of us getting in everything we're doing getting ready for Detroit. This next step is important. We should see a big improvement from our first game against San Diego this week. But, yes, all areas are better now."

Jay Cutler and the offense got some rest going up against the scout team Thursday, while new quarterback Matt Gutierrez saw his first extensive action since joining the team.
"I thought he threw some good passes today,'' Smith said of Gutierrez. "There's a learning curve. He has a lot to pick up as far as our offense is concerned. But he's a quarterback with a strong arm. He's got good size, smart guy. He needs reps right now.

"I'm very pleased with what our current guys have done. Dan LeFevour has gotten a lot better with the reps that he's gotten. He'll be our second guy in this week."

Safeties Major Wright (finger), Craig Steltz (ankle), and Josh Bullocks (quad) all remained sidelined, as did receiver Earl Bennett (hamstring). Linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer (foot) and Brian Iwuh (knee) and running back Chester Taylor (hamstring) returned to practice.

The Bears have a closed walkthrough Friday in preparation for Saturday's home preseason matchup with the Raiders.

More...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
OMG, you mean a new quarterback to a new system will need extra reps in order to be successful.

Thank you ChicagoBreakingSports for telling us this!!! Not a soul would know if it weren't for you breaking this story.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
OMG, you mean a new quarterback to a new system will need extra reps in order to be successful.

Thank you ChicagoBreakingSports for telling us this!!! Not a soul would know if it weren't for you breaking this story.

:clap:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
It's off.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:

You mean he hasn't finished memorizing the entire playbook, yet? he's a veteran. he should be ready to play now!

Status
Not open for further replies.