Luke Wypler in rd4 ?

Liked Posts:
Reading his scouting report he could be a nice addition/upgrade with Jenkins and Davis on his sides.

Luke Wypler, Ohio State C​

CFN 2023 NFL Draft IOL Ranking: 7
6-3, 303, Projected Round: 3rd

Why draft Luke Wypler: He can move. There’s no real issue generating power, but his upside is in a fast-paced offense that allows him to get into a rhythm. There aren’t any issues in pass protection, but …

Why not draft Luke Wypler: The size and power are just okay. He’s not small and he doesn’t get hammered on, but he’s not going to blast over a tackle or generate much of a push against the Coke machines.

Luke Wypler, from the college perspective: Solid. He won’t get outquicked, he’s strong enough to hold his own, and he’s a veteran who can be ready from Day One. No, he won’t be a dominant force, but he’s a sure-thing NFL starter who should shine next to power at guard.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Reading his scouting report he could be a nice addition/upgrade with Jenkins and Davis on his sides.

Luke Wypler, Ohio State C​

CFN 2023 NFL Draft IOL Ranking: 7
6-3, 303, Projected Round: 3rd

Why draft Luke Wypler: He can move. There’s no real issue generating power, but his upside is in a fast-paced offense that allows him to get into a rhythm. There aren’t any issues in pass protection, but …

Why not draft Luke Wypler: The size and power are just okay. He’s not small and he doesn’t get hammered on, but he’s not going to blast over a tackle or generate much of a push against the Coke machines.

Luke Wypler, from the college perspective: Solid. He won’t get outquicked, he’s strong enough to hold his own, and he’s a veteran who can be ready from Day One. No, he won’t be a dominant force, but he’s a sure-thing NFL starter who should shine next to power at guard.
Sounds like Brian Allen who bears targeted in FA last year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Would be my choice.

See if he can handle being the starting center in OTA's, if so let go of whitehair. Save ~10m and put that towards another June1st cut.

Then you'd still have borom, lucas patrick as solid backups that have experience playing all over.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lukewypler-ras.jpg

I like Wypler a lot. He's super consistent and showed good technique across all the reps I watched. His athleticism is underrated as he scored 9.31 on RAS and was one of the better testing centers in the class. He doesn't have position flexibility like most of the top guys, but we really don't need that.

And here's Dane Brugler's write up of him in the Beast from The Athletic:

LUKE WYPLER | Ohio State 6025 | 303 lbs. | 3JR Montvale, N.J. (St. Joseph Regional) 5/3/2001 (age 21.98) #53

BACKGROUND: Luke Wypler (WHIP-ler), who has four half-siblings, was born and raised in New Jersey and grew up playing multiple sports, including baseball, lacrosse and hockey. However, he started to lean toward football as his go-to sport in middle school. After growing up in central New Jersey with his mom, Wypler moved in with his dad in eastern New Jersey when he was 14 so he could enroll at St. Joseph Regional School, a college preparatory school and one of the top football programs in the state. Wypler earned the starting left tackle job as a sophomore and took home first team All-League and second team All-County honors. As a junior left tackle, he led St. Joseph to a 10-win season and the 2018 state championship. After a wrestling injury in the offseason, Wypler moved from left tackle to right tackle for his senior season and was named first team All-State and a 2019 U.S. Army All-American. He also earned letters in lacrosse and wrestling in high school.

A four-star recruit, Wypler was the No. 2 center in the 2020 recruiting class and the No. 2 recruit in New Jersey. He started to receive FBS offers following his sophomore season, picking up scholarships from Rutgers, Florida, Stanford, Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State over a one-month span. With two-dozen offers, Wypler took numerous visits before settling on Ohio State and stayed committed after Urban Meyer’s retirement. He was the second-highest ranked offensive lineman in the Buckeyes’ 2020 recruiting class, behind only Paris Johnson Jr. His father (Al) played linebacker at East Stroudsburg State. After Luke enrolled at Ohio State, Al bought a house in west Columbus that he shares with his son. Luke’s mom (Michele Desimone) is a nurse. His parents are divorced. Wypler elected to skip his final two seasons of eligibility and enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS)
POSITION NOTES
2020: (3/0)
2021: (13/13) 2022: (13/13) Total: (29/26) OC
Enrolled in January 2020
OC Pushed into the starting line-up after Harry Miller was sidelined
OC
Honorable Mention All-Big Ten
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6025 303 31 5/8 9 5/8 77 1/8 5.14 2.90 1.73 30 1/2 8’10” 4.53 7.64 29
PRO DAY 6025 302 31 7/8 9 5/8 77 1/8 - - - - - - - - (position drills only – choice)

STRENGTHS: Athletic mover with the first step and joint flexibility to get underneath defenders ... executes well laterally to reach or pull ... highly efficient on combos and climbs to pass off defensive tackles before reaching the second level ... displays patient weight distribution and strong hands to redirect/mirror in his pass sets ... his hands stay accessible for quick resets if he gets swiped ... adjusts well with gap exchanges and his peripheral vision is an asset ... made major strides with his snap/delay penalties between his sophomore and junior seasons ... coachable, high-intangible player with the mental capacity for the NFL game (also adds plenty of dry humor) ... durable player who started all 26 games the past two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Short arms and can be flattened out if he doesn’t initiate first contact ... struggles to regain leverage against power or long-arm moves ... shaky anchor and it will be tougher for him to “lose slowly” versus NFL bull rush ... can do a better job rolling his hips to add explosion at contact ... doesn’t consistently drive defenders in the run ... quick to climb, but inconsistent breakdown in space to lock down linebackers ... questionable position flexibility with 100 percent of his snaps coming at center in college.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Ohio State, Wypler was entrenched at center in head coach Ryan Day’s zone/RPO-based offense. A high school offensive tackle, he made the move inside, where he was the starting center for all 25 of C.J. Stroud’s college starts. (Stroud: “Luke is probably one of the smartest people I have ever been around ... the smartest O-lineman I’ve ever met in my life.”) Wypler is a quick, efficient mover with outstanding football IQ and communication skills. However, he labors to sustain if not perfectly square, especially with defenders on his edge, and can be stacked when he isn’t in position to break contact. Overall, Wypler is sawed-off and will be force-fed his vegetables as he adapts to NFL power, but his above-average athleticism and handwork help him stay in position. He is ideally suited for a zone team and projects as an NFL backup with potential to be more.

GRADE: 4th-5th Round

msadows

Liked Posts:
View attachment 28916

I like Wypler a lot. He's super consistent and showed good technique across all the reps I watched. His athleticism is underrated as he scored 9.31 on RAS and was one of the better testing centers in the class. He doesn't have position flexibility like most of the top guys, but we really don't need that.

And here's Dane Brugler's write up of him in the Beast from The Athletic:

LUKE WYPLER | Ohio State 6025 | 303 lbs. | 3JR Montvale, N.J. (St. Joseph Regional) 5/3/2001 (age 21.98) #53

BACKGROUND: Luke Wypler (WHIP-ler), who has four half-siblings, was born and raised in New Jersey and grew up playing multiple sports, including baseball, lacrosse and hockey. However, he started to lean toward football as his go-to sport in middle school. After growing up in central New Jersey with his mom, Wypler moved in with his dad in eastern New Jersey when he was 14 so he could enroll at St. Joseph Regional School, a college preparatory school and one of the top football programs in the state. Wypler earned the starting left tackle job as a sophomore and took home first team All-League and second team All-County honors. As a junior left tackle, he led St. Joseph to a 10-win season and the 2018 state championship. After a wrestling injury in the offseason, Wypler moved from left tackle to right tackle for his senior season and was named first team All-State and a 2019 U.S. Army All-American. He also earned letters in lacrosse and wrestling in high school.

A four-star recruit, Wypler was the No. 2 center in the 2020 recruiting class and the No. 2 recruit in New Jersey. He started to receive FBS offers following his sophomore season, picking up scholarships from Rutgers, Florida, Stanford, Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State over a one-month span. With two-dozen offers, Wypler took numerous visits before settling on Ohio State and stayed committed after Urban Meyer’s retirement. He was the second-highest ranked offensive lineman in the Buckeyes’ 2020 recruiting class, behind only Paris Johnson Jr. His father (Al) played linebacker at East Stroudsburg State. After Luke enrolled at Ohio State, Al bought a house in west Columbus that he shares with his son. Luke’s mom (Michele Desimone) is a nurse. His parents are divorced. Wypler elected to skip his final two seasons of eligibility and enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS)
POSITION NOTES
2020: (3/0)
2021: (13/13) 2022: (13/13) Total: (29/26) OC
Enrolled in January 2020
OC Pushed into the starting line-up after Harry Miller was sidelined
OC
Honorable Mention All-Big Ten
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6025 303 31 5/8 9 5/8 77 1/8 5.14 2.90 1.73 30 1/2 8’10” 4.53 7.64 29
PRO DAY 6025 302 31 7/8 9 5/8 77 1/8 - - - - - - - - (position drills only – choice)

STRENGTHS: Athletic mover with the first step and joint flexibility to get underneath defenders ... executes well laterally to reach or pull ... highly efficient on combos and climbs to pass off defensive tackles before reaching the second level ... displays patient weight distribution and strong hands to redirect/mirror in his pass sets ... his hands stay accessible for quick resets if he gets swiped ... adjusts well with gap exchanges and his peripheral vision is an asset ... made major strides with his snap/delay penalties between his sophomore and junior seasons ... coachable, high-intangible player with the mental capacity for the NFL game (also adds plenty of dry humor) ... durable player who started all 26 games the past two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Short arms and can be flattened out if he doesn’t initiate first contact ... struggles to regain leverage against power or long-arm moves ... shaky anchor and it will be tougher for him to “lose slowly” versus NFL bull rush ... can do a better job rolling his hips to add explosion at contact ... doesn’t consistently drive defenders in the run ... quick to climb, but inconsistent breakdown in space to lock down linebackers ... questionable position flexibility with 100 percent of his snaps coming at center in college.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Ohio State, Wypler was entrenched at center in head coach Ryan Day’s zone/RPO-based offense. A high school offensive tackle, he made the move inside, where he was the starting center for all 25 of C.J. Stroud’s college starts. (Stroud: “Luke is probably one of the smartest people I have ever been around ... the smartest O-lineman I’ve ever met in my life.”) Wypler is a quick, efficient mover with outstanding football IQ and communication skills. However, he labors to sustain if not perfectly square, especially with defenders on his edge, and can be stacked when he isn’t in position to break contact. Overall, Wypler is sawed-off and will be force-fed his vegetables as he adapts to NFL power, but his above-average athleticism and handwork help him stay in position. He is ideally suited for a zone team and projects as an NFL backup with potential to be more.

GRADE: 4th-5th Round

The weaknesses part gives me nightmares of mustipher.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Saw video of him owning the generational talent Carter.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No you didn't. He held his own against him, mostly with double teams, but he certainly didn't own him. Let me know when you have a clip of him pancaking carter

Driving the generational talent back repeatedly is owning. I didn't say anything about pancakes.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think he’s the best zone center prospect left in draft, not sure he is there for the Bears 2nd pick in the 4th.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Driving the generational talent back repeatedly is owning. I didn't say anything about pancakes.
I'm pretty certain he didn't drive him back unless it was a double team or maybe if he hit him from the side, but im open to video evidence proving me wrong.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
OO from Michigan is whomst I would target at C and can likely be had with a pick after 4-1

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
OO from Michigan is whomst I would target at C and can likely be had with a pick after 4-1
I am in this camp. I wanted a C that could compete to start in year 1, but if the goal is to train one up, then go for DE at 4-1 and see if we can get him in the 5th.