Mac Jones as a prospect?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
true, I brain farted on him. My point remains, avoiding a player simply because he plays for a great team is just asinine
I agree, I made the same point a few times earlier.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
so your premise is don’t draft a bama qb because there haven’t been any good NFL qbs from bama in forever. That’s just ridiculously silly. I guess we shouldn’t draft Trevor Lawrence either...who’s the last great nfl qb from Clemson?! Clemson has too much talent to draft a guy like Lawrence. That’s what you sound like. That said, I wouldn’t draft Jones unless it’s 4th round or later

also, hurts is off to a great start and tua will be fine

Agree with ya..... on not drafting based on the school. I've heard the same thing about OSU Qb's
Jones?......I would not draft Jones in the 4th. There's just nothing special about the guy IMO.

msadows

Liked Posts:
true, I brain farted on him. My point remains, avoiding a player simply because he plays for a great team is just asinine

I didn't ignore him. I just said him having first round talent all over the field makes me take pause on how he will develop as a prospect.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I didn't ignore him. I just said him having first round talent all over the field makes me take pause on how he will develop as a prospect.

Last good bama qb?

Joe Namath? IDK.

Not saying Jones can't break the trend, but having nfl talent at every starting position kinda makes life easy as a college QB...

you basically said that having nfl talent at every position makes you have doubt on their ability to be good in the nfl. That’s crazy talk IMO. Your “pause” would make you miss on some guys that end up absolutely being studs in the nfl. If a guy constantly beats his matchup soundly, it’s typically because he is better than whomst he is matched up against. Being the best will never give me “pause” on a prospect. You just have to actually single out their matchups and how they performed...not how the team performed

msadows

Liked Posts:
you basically said that having nfl talent at every position makes you have doubt on their ability to be good in the nfl. That’s crazy talk IMO. Your “pause” would make you miss on some guys that end up absolutely being studs in the nfl. If a guy constantly beats his matchup soundly, it’s typically because he is better than whomst he is matched up against. Being the best will never give me “pause” on a prospect. You just have to actually single out their matchups and how they performed...not how the team performed

I have the same worries with trask, and I like him as a prospect.

I'm not saying jones can't be good, but he's got limited arm talent and limited mobility, just like trask. They are both smart, and they are both playing with NFL Talent at the skill positions.

It just scares me, is all. I won't mind taking either, I just don't think I want either in the first. If we could get them in the 2nd I'd love it.

This CFB playoffs will def be interesting to see how he performs.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I have the same worries with trask, and I like him as a prospect.

I'm not saying jones can't be good, but he's got limited arm talent and limited mobility, just like trask. They are both smart, and they are both playing with NFL Talent at the skill positions.

It just scares me, is all. I won't mind taking either, I just don't think I want either in the first. If we could get them in the 2nd I'd love it.

This CFB playoffs will def be interesting to see how he performs.

I agree Jones and trask are not the answer. I’ve been saying that all season long. However, the talent they play with doesn’t make me hesitate or factor into it at all for me.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I agree Jones and trask are not the answer. I’ve been saying that all season long. However, the talent they play with doesn’t make me hesitate or factor into it at all for me.

Ehh, I'd still rather take a risk on one of those in the 2nd round and have them bust than take anyone else in this class.

We won't have a shot at any of the top 4 unless ryan pace pulls a classic pace and trades up. Knowing him it will be for trey lance and he'll end up busting.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mahommes

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mack Jones is impressing today. Just focus on what he's doing. He's setting his feet and squaring his shoulders on the run, and actually using the pocket.

It doesn't hurt having all of the talent but he's making every throw you could want today.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
He is making quick decisions, but is not getting any pressure...

greg23

Liked Posts:
Mack Jones is impressing today. Just focus on what he's doing. He's setting his feet and squaring his shoulders on the run, and actually using the pocket.

It doesn't hurt having all of the talent but he's making every throw you could want today.

Easy pass on him.....no thanks

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easy pass on him.....no thanks
I didn't recall suggesting drafting him. He had a better day than most other prospects is all.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Tua struggling scares me tho as far as jones. Jones also has the best RB, and the two best WR's in CFB.

Also, plenty of borderline first round lineman to block for him.

Not saying he can't be good, but you better play well in that scheme when you got future NFL pro bowlers all over the field.

Jones is someone I just can't wrap my head around taking in the 1st. If he somehow drops to our 2nd rounder I'd love taking him there.
I was going to right my opinion but you nailed it. If hes there in the 2nd sure why not but no way id take him in the first.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
While I love waddle, it would be dumb to let arob walk then draft a WR with the first round pick.

Then again, thats a typical pace move.
In a draft thats pretty deep at WR it would be absolutely moronic.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd consider him in one. Watching him run the o, throw on time and make all the right decisions translates well to the next level. Not a big run threat and not a gun for an arm but accurate with enough velocity at the next level and a guy that could run a complex O. I don't watch much college ball so had little appreciation for him. He's in an ideal situation but he's also making the most of it. Dude can process like a vet and has enough tools.

He may never be elite but he looks plug and play.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Brees was taken 32nd overall and was one of the best of all time. Derek Carr was 36th overall, and Brett Favre was 33rd overall. All 2nd rounders, I guess, but my guess is that is where trask goes. Jones might go in the first only due to need.

This is kind of a unique year tho, you have 4 potential top 10 picks, and 2 guys who would arguably be picked in the top 20 in a weak QB class.
Except as I pointed out earlier I said it would be a mistake for the Bears to use a first round pick this year on a QB. No Trask or Jones in the first. I went on to look at mid First round quarterback over the past 20 years and found only three, Rodgers, Flacco, and Jackson. That's some really bad odds if you ask me. Bears cannot be so desperate as to take a mid first round QB. I also see both Jones and Trask as mid to low first round picks just because of the position.