Mac Jones breakdown

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mac Jones might make sense in the top 10

BY CIAN FAHEY
@QBDataMine

Alabama might go back-to-back first-round picks at quarterback. Jalen Hurts, who was also an Alabama starting quarterback at one point, went in the second round last year too.

Prior to this group, you've got to go all the way back to Ken Stabler in 1967 to find a real quarterback of great significance.

Nick Saban has produced a large number of quality NFL players from his teams over the last decade but none of his quarterbacks have done anything in the NFL. A.J. McCarron talked himself up at draft time but had a predictable career as a backup.

The change in Alabama's offensive philosophy since McCarron helped to produce Hurts and Tagovailoa. And now Mac Jones looks set to add to the recent string of success.

Jones will be a first round pick. He might be a top-10 pick but he's being discussed as the last of the top tier, more likely to be selected in the teens than the top five. Considering the skill set he's bringing, it might benefit Jones to fall as far as he can within the first round.

Alabama were successful with Jones while having a typically talented Alabama-calibre roster. That undoubtedly made it easier for him to put up numbers.

Those types of rosters have previously elevated the status of the likes of McCarron. Alabama have won National Championships without high-end quarterback play. They've instead relied on the likes of Derrick Henry and Mark Ingram behind strong offensive lines.

While Mac Jones' supporting cast was clearly very strong, he was by no means carried by his teammates.

DarlingUnlinedDassierat-size_restricted.gif

When Andy Dalton was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, he arrived to a smart coaching staff with a strong supporting cast on offence. A.J. Green was the team's first round pick that year, so that obviously helped, but Dalton became an immediate starter and successor to Carson Palmer because of how he matched with his new team.

He was an athletic quarterback who made strong pre-snap reads and got the ball out quickly. Was he ever a great quarterback? No, but he was instantly a respectable NFL starter and had the awareness and comfort level to play at that level early in his career.

Jones is a very intelligent quarterback based on his college tape.

This play is a great example of that. He has some time in the pocket because the defensive end on the left side crashes to the inside and is stopped there. Jones senses what's happening around him and slides left, which puts him further away from the edge rusher coming around the far side.

He watches his crossing route coming from his left to his right, which leads the safety to come forward onto him and holds the linebacker over the middle. Then, so instantly that his actions had to be purposeful, at the perfect time he turned and hit his crossing route going in the opposite direction.

This isn't a wide open throw because of the quality of the receiver's route. It's a wide open throw because it's a well-executed play design perfectly diagnosed and timed out by the quarterback.

You see a lot of this with Alabama. There are obvious some benefits working in his favour but a lot of the time he was elevating those around him as well.

LazyHastyIzuthrush-size_restricted.gif

This play runs at half speed. We can see Jones look to the flat initially, which encourages the slot defender to come forward and anticipate a bubble screen with the slot receiver blocking for the flat receiver. But that slot receiver is running past the slot cornerback to the near pylon.

His wheel route isn't of concern to Jones until he's looked to the slant. He has to make sure the cornerback outside and the safety to that side of the field both respect the slant before he can look to the wheel.

If we watch Jones just before he begins his throwing motion, we can see his posture is for the slant. He opens up to the wider throw by resetting his foot and bringing his left shoulder a little inside to then release the ball.

That's a very subtle movement but it's a sign of a quarterback executing at a very high level.

FastWhichDuckling-size_restricted.gif

Here's a more aggressive version of the same thing. This play runs at full speed so you'll have to watch it a few times to track everything that happens. It's another fairly basic route combination with two crossing routes pulling defenders in diferent directions.

You can see how Jones stays on the receiver going left to right before turning dramatically back to his receiver going right to left late. His posture and eye movement led to three defenders going with the first crossing route.

Nobody covered the other crossing route. The separation here has nothing to do with the quality of the receiver. The speed of both receivers helped to stress the coverage but it's Jones awareness, timing and pocket movement that leads to the wide open throw.

On the broadcast angle, it would be easy to see these plays and just assume it's a quarterback playing in an offence that makes everything simple for him. That's really not the case.

A lot of the time he's executing simple (or rather non-highlight) things at a very high level.

VagueComplexJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif

This throw is a perfect example. The receiver runs a good route and his speed is impressive. It's a wide-open throw from a clean pocket. But the receiver is wide open partly because of the perfect timing of Jones' pump fake. He then doesn't rush the ball out. He resets to make sure that he hits the throw perfectly.

Jones knew his receiver wasn't going to be recovered as soon as the safety took one wrong step. He was calm and the result was the easy completion.

Easy completions come about through scheme or supporting cast and sometimes they come about because of the level of quarterback play. Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and Drew Brees are the greatest examples of this. They all have highlight throws but none of them built their careers on highlight throws.

SomberEcstaticCougar-size_restricted.gif

Jones' accuracy isn't a major concern. He had some ugly misses over the games I watched but he was mostly a very efficient passer. He's not going to make precision throws into tight windows like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson but his skill set should allow him to avoid those types of throws more often than not.

This is a great play to highlight Jones' poise and understanding of leverage. He sees his wheel route open early. The instinct here is to rush the ball out, lay it out deep for the receiver to run underneath. If he does that, the safety intercepts it.

Instead, Jones sees his receiver open but takes a beat to see the safety as well. He throws the ball hard and to his receiver's body so as to not lead him into the safety. This is not an easy throw. It's not the throw he expected to make either but he recognized the coverage and got the ball out.

Furthermore, if you keep your eyes on the quarterback, you can see him take a hit immediately after the ball comes out.

Although he got a lot of good pockets, Jones also consistently made smart, difficult plays against pressure.

OldfashionedJealousKillerwhale-size_restricted.gif

Jones hasn't just learned what coverages are and where he's supposed to go based on the coverage he sees. He has an innate feeling and understanding of how plays are going to develop. His spatial awareness and anticipation is top class.

This might be the best play any college quarterback made last year. The four-man rush for the defence wins up the middle. The coverage is perfect as they anticipated outside routes. This play is dead. The defence has a defender on top of the quarterback and nobody is open.

Jones pumps outside seeing that it's covered. He then resets up into the middle of the pocket wanting to hit the corner route. The corner route is double-covered.

But he sees two defenders with their backs to him. The underneath defender on the corner route and the the flat defender who took away the curl route intiially. Jones has pressure in his face but like a wing shooter cutting to the basket at the last minute, his receiver takes a step inside and Jones can envision the throw into his path.

He perfectly flights the ball and places it so it's equidistant between the two defenders who are looking away from it.

Mentally, Jones is very promising. He has some issues to correct but they're not really red flags as much as they are signs of inexperience.

VacantBruisedAbalone-size_restricted.gif

On occasion, Jones will predetermine his read and force the ball to the wrong receiver. This is the best example of this trait as he forces the first crossing route and doesn't come off it to find the second crossing route that is wide open. He should have recognized this because of the pressure coming from that area of the field.

But as quarterbacks are wont to do on occasion, he stiffened up against the pressure.

That's not standard for him at least. He's generally very good against pressure.

WateryHilariousIndianpalmsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

This deep dime comes with a defender in his face as the ball comes out.

EmptyAgileEkaltadeta-size_restricted.gif

This is a similar throw where the ball comes out quickly against an arriving blitz.

ThisRealisticAndalusianhorse-size_restricted.gif

This is a very intelligent play where Jones comes off his first option and locates his mismatch on the opposite side of the field. He has to speed up his process here as his right tackle blows his assignment in protection. Jones actually steps toward the free rusher because he has to avoid the pass rush coming from the opposite side.

He sets himself up to be hit in order to buy enough time to get the ball out cleanly. It's a really, really high-level play. The throw isn't perfect but there are plenty of examples of Jones throwing perfect deep balls.

In general, he's consistently accurate to every level of the field without being especially impressive at any level. He has no singular great trait when it comes to accuracy. You're not going to build an offence to attack specific areas of the field, you're going to trust him to be above-average to every level of the field.

That can actually be tougher for defences to stop.

ShowyCreativeBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

Jones' comfort and poise comes from his footwork. He has very active feet. He not only senses pressure, he often reacts to it exactly as you would want him to. This play sees the edges on both sides collapse but he steps up into the center of the pocket while keeping his eyes upfield.

That allows him to then make a touch throw for the touchdown.

Resetting within the pocket is vital. Jones does it very, very well a lot of the time. But he also has very active feet. Most quarterbacks have very inactive feet and need to be taught how to move them consistently. Jones needs to have his feet reigned in. That's not really a negative because it's easier to do that than uproot the feet of a Carson Wentz for example.

Early in his career, Jones' movement will create sacks and invite pressure. It'll probably still work out in his favour overall but it's another area that needs to improve.

BruisedWelcomeBirdofparadise-size_restricted.gif

This sack is completely on Jones. The defender who pushes his way into the pocket can be avoided if he just stays in his initial spot or steps to his right. Instead, he steps forward and to the left, directly into the line the defender was taking.

FrailEminentAtlanticblackgoby-size_restricted.gif

He doesn't get sacked on this play, but here you can see the overactive feet being a negative. He jumps to his right and back to his left before letting his feet go flat to overthrow his checkdown. It's a simple throw that is only missed because of the imbalance created by the overactivity in his lower body.

Should Jones fall to late in the first round, he'll be great value for a team such as the New England Patriots who are just looking for someone to solidify their starting spot. If he goes to a team chasing a superstar or someone who needs to work with a limited receiving corps, he'll probably struggle.

If he ever becomes one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL it will be a surprise. But he could start for 10 years without much complaint from his team's fanbase.

Now could you argue for him to be the third overall pick? It's not crazy even if he ultimately winds up 10 spots lower than that.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His pro day won't help him but he doesn't need it. He looked so average in his underware with just OK accuracy and meh velocity though his movement was pretty good. If he had lead feet it would drop him but he doesn't. They're very active in the pocket while he does his field general stuff. No one knows how he'll ultimately turn out but he has a very low floor for an NFL pocket player and it's easy to see why he'll be drafted in one.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Are we just going to ignore the comparison to Dalton early in this article???

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are we just going to ignore the comparison to Dalton early in this article???
Dalton is more athletic. Jones is smarter. Mitch's most common compare was Alex Smith, who scored a 40 wonderlic. :rolleyes: I say this all the time. They are all unique and difficult to project due to the complexities of the position.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Good stuff, as always. Is there really a chance for Jones to go at 3? That would seem a big time overreach to me.

I really like the Dalton comparison (in his prime Dalton was a top 15 guy), he seems to have that high-floor low-ceiling sort of potential to me.

I would definitely take him at 20 if he was somehow still there.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If they trade up and get mac jones I will be ecstatic.

Hilarious to think a guy I was meh about taking in the 2nd round just a couple months ago I would now love in the first via a trade.

If he gets a solid supporting cast around him Mac's got a good shot to be an above average NFL starter for a decade. Not really what I want out of a first round pick but after the last few decades of QB play i'll take a Matt Stafford level qb for a decade.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don't really watch much college football so it's hard for me to evaluate this, but overall my thought process is this: If you think Jones' ceiling is say a top 15 QB in the league, I don't think you should trade up for him. Majority of the SB winning teams have an elite and upper echelon QB. If you're going to be trading assets, likely future 1st, you need to be getting a premium guy at the position.

Now, if you think he could be top 10, or maybe even better, I think you'd be crazy not to trade up. It's all on the evaluation. I've watched his highlights (and I'm not claiming that qualifies me as an expert), but he has a beautiful touch on the ball and seems to have a knack for knowing where to go with the ball and he throws with anticipation. Now, highlight tapes could make anyone look good, but I didn't see a ton of WIDE open receivers. The majority of the plays were Jones making a great read, anticipating the play, and making a great throw.

One thing I will say, is I feel better about the process because Flip is on board. I think Flip has a keen eye for QB play and is a very good teacher/developer. Nagy is clueless and is too busy patting himself on the back for how genius he is, but Flip and even Lazor are knowledgeable guys.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Mac Jones played on a pro team in college and his numbers show it. Where is Tua, How bout Hertz, anyone, anyone... Bueller... Name a NFL team even sniffed the SB with a QB from a program like them. Go ahead I'll wait.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mac Jones played on a pro team in college and his numbers show it. Where is Tua, How bout Hertz, anyone, anyone... Bueller... Name a NFL team even sniffed the SB with a QB from a program like them. Go ahead I'll wait.

You already wrote Hurts and Tua off after 1 season?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's a less glowing report. It's clear as to why evaluating QBs is so dificult. I don't disagree with this and watching his pro day throws don't get me all warm and fuzzy but on tape his placement and timing look awesome, beyond just being on a good team with top players affords. You see progressions. Guys may be open but he finds the one that's OPEN. So hard to be certain on these QBs. I think Lawrance may also be overrated. Maybe not, LOL.

Last edited:

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's a less glowing report. It's clear as to why evaluating QBs is so dificult. I don't disagree with this and watching his pro day throws don't get me all warm and fuzzy but on tape his placement and timing look awesome, beyond just being on a good team with top players affords. You see progressions. Guys may be open but he finds the one that's OPEN. So hard to be certain on these QBs. I think Lawrance may also be overrated. Maybe not, LOL.

Thank you for this, this guys reports (Jones/Fields) are very interesting. For those who can’t click the link:

Honestly, any report you read, pro or con, about Mac Jones’s prospects for the NFL is probably a giant bag of B*** S***. Anyone who express a ‘strong’ opinion on Jones, one way or the other, is barking at the moon.

How can anyone know just how NFL ‘good’/’worthy’ Mac Jones after watching his 2020 season? Alabama beat the living crap out of everyone they played this year, aside from a minor tussle with Florida in the SEC Championship game...and even that wasn’t a ‘tussle’ for the offense, as Bama put up 600+ yards and 52 points. Alabama scored 50 or more points in four of its last 5 games. They scored 40 or more 11 times in 13 games on the season. Their lowest point total for the season was 31 (vs. Notre Dame). This Alabama offense was a juggernaut.

But the real question for this report is – How much, if any of the offensive explosion was due to Mac Jones’ individual talent?

I’ve watched a lot of top prospect QB tape in my life, especially in the past few years. I’ve seen quarterbacks carry or propel a program/offense with their elite skills...the most notable being Joe Burrow and LSU last year. That was a shining example of a quarterback’s talents on display achieving world domination. Watching Joe Burrow at work took your breath away.

I’ve watched plenty of Mac Jones tape in his 2020 season, and...I still have all my breath. Never lost a wisp of it. Anyone who mentions Mac Jones in the same breath as Joe Burrow should be disbarred from talking about football ever again. That’s not to say Mac Jones is terrible/disqualified – but he’s no Burrow.

Maybe Jones is great...maybe Jones sucks. There’s no way to tell, because he was a game manager QB for one of the most explosive, talent-rich offenses in college football’s recent history – the gap between Alabama and any of their opponents was ridiculous. Mac Jones was just the guy lighting the fuse at QB when it blew up (in a good way).

If you watch/study game tape of Mac Jones you’re going to see some obvious things...

1) He’s got all day to throw on almost every play. Every/any QB is going to have a better opportunity for
numbers when he has all the extra time and is never pushed into feeling uncomfortable.

2) He’s got better surrounding skill player weapons than almost any QB will ever have. Jones had better
weapons in 2020 than Tua Tagovailoa did in 2019...from the WR group to the backfield group.

When you put an elite cast of receiving options on the field, with elite speed, and give a QB all day to
throw...things are going to pop for said quarterback.

Remember how great Tua was...we were all told now, what is your Tua perception?

3) The time in the pocket was really just a bonus on a minor number of throws because Mac
Jones mostly threw screens and swings and bubbles and quick slants...and let his elite weaponry do the rest. It’s not a testimony to how good Mac Jones is throwing 45% screen/swings/bubbles and 45% quick, first read passes on slants or deep balls...and 10% ‘other’.

Rarely/no QB has ever had such surroundings to succeed in...WRs open by a mile all over, running backs who could destroy opponents on the ground and in the short passing game, with elite blocking...plus an elite defense always giving the ball back in great field position.

I just stopped tracking this phenomenon...the constant screen and swing and bubble pass game
with Mac Jones, because it doesn’t predict anything about his pro prospects. I only get like 3-4-5 throws a game, if I’m lucky, to try to scout Jones throwing against good team under duress and having to come off his first/easy read.

Would Jones flourish as the starting QB at Vanderbilt? Maybe. But maybe he would be a total disaster not even mentioned as an NFL prospect. I don’t know because basically Mac Jones took a ‘test’ (the CFB 2020 season) and had all the answers given to him ahead of time. Maybe he would have aced the
test without all those answers – but we’ll never know. That’s why I say...”How can we properly evaluate him for the pros?”

I mean, look at Tua – a god for Alabama. Look at Tua in the pros year one...couldn’t functionally complete a pass over 5-yards like a pro. That is a true statement on a guy (Tua) who destroyed the stat sheets at Alabama and had media and scouts so sure he was a god they were pushing ‘Tank for Tua’ narratives for two years...and now just one year into his NFL career, he’s already a part of trade (away) rumors. How is this possible?

The same underlying problem with Tua exists with Jones – a warped surrounding creating a distorted view.

I can’t even write paragraphs as to Jones’s pros and cons as a passer because how would I judge it? I’m sure several football analysts will grab one play from the season, on video, and show it as proof of how good Jones is, to go along with his lofty stats – but one cherrypicked play/throw is not reality. Anyone promoting Jones as a top QB prospect for the NFL is totally bullshitting you...because none of us can possibly know such things from his 2020 season work.

Comparing Jones to the other top QB prospects in this class, just by watching/studying the mechanics and mannerisms...I thought Jones was the least talented and least exciting of the top names for 2020.

Justin Fields is a better pocket passer, hands down...plus you have the bonus running skills.

Trey Lance is very raw, where Jones is a more polished game manager today...but Lance’s raw skills
look immensely more tempting.

Zach Wilson? Please. Don’t even defame Wilson by trying to mention Jones in the same breath. Zach
Wilson is a better everything at QB than Jones, by multiples.

Trevor Lawrence? I see some of the same issues with Lawrence as with Jones, but at least Lawrence is
physically much bigger and faster, and can run the ball to open up the dink-and-dunk passing game.

I wasn’t overwhelmed with Kyle Trask, but he showed me more capability, or at least ‘as much’, as Mac Jones...and has a bigger/thicker/stronger body type and frame than Jones. I’d consider taking Sam Ehlinger ahead of Mac Jones – Ehlinger has way more moxie and tools than Jones does.

Mac Jones seems like a nice kid. He’s led a life of privilege right up and through his 2020 season. Jones has had all the advantages. I’d question how much grit/toughness/moxie he has. His arm is average/fine. His height is OK, his body is kind of slender and he isn’t very quick with his feet to extend plays or make yards. What attribute can anyone point to in order to claim he’s a top 30 NFL Draft prospect?

I have no idea why a team would chase Jones with the cost of draft pick it will take. But I guess there is some hope in that no one knows really how good he is because he faced no real testing or adversity in his career/life. Maybe he is awesome? There is ‘the unknown’ for some draft value, I guess.

The Historical QB Prospects to Whom Mac Jones Most Compares Within Our System:

*UPDATE*
Teddy Bridgewater or...
Former Alabama QB Greg McElroy...a 7th-Round pick QB out of Alabama, a solid game manager QB who won a National Championship his first season (junior year) as a starter...and flamed out of the NFL quickly.
Jones is better than McElroy, but maybe not as good as Teddy was coming out of college. If Jones is close to Teddy with some McElroy – it points to an NFL fringe starter.

2021 NFL Draft Outlook:

With the National Championship run fresh in everyone’s mind...Jones is a 1st-round projection for almost every early ranker. The hype is strong. I think the NFL will come to its senses with more scouting time, and Jones will drop precipitously in the draft rankings...out of the 1st-round and into the 2nd/3rd- round. However, the Alabama pull is still so alluring for NFL Draft zombies that he might just stay in the 1st-round...and the ‘Alabama’ machine will be flexing its muscle/working its fiscal magic to try and get Jones into the 1st-round as well. Still, I’ll bet he falls to at least a 2nd-round projection/rating across the country by March 2020.
If I were an NFL GM, I wouldn’t waste my time trying to wonder if a 6’2-3”/210+ Alabama-coddled QB is secretly ‘great’. I’ll take my chances with other available QBs or just sign quality free agents and wait until next year’s draft.

NFL Outlook:

Who knows? My guess is – falls in the draft, comes into a team as a backup, plays really boring preseason football for a couple of years and is forgotten as the hype dies off and he’s just seen as a serviceable hand at best or a bust at worst. I feel like a Christian Hackenberg or Cody Kessler type event is headed our way here with Jones, although he is a more competent QB than either of them were.

FOLLOW UP:

I wanted to do a follow up to my original Mac Jones scouting report because since it was published, we got to see Jones at the Senior Bowl week...so, we have some new/key scouting info to be added.

Not only did I want to update this for the Senior Bowl info but also because this is a very complicated scouting study. I’ve been scouting quarterbacks for ten+ years, and I would say (as would long time readers of my work) that I probably know/interpret/project QB prospects better than anyone walking the face of the earth. I don’t say that lightly or jokingly. I really believe it...and I need to ‘say it’ for context on this one.

Why is this so complicated (and I’d say it is the most perplexing QB scouting I’ve ever done in 10+ years)? My original scouting report (in full, below) can best be summarized as – I do not believe that there is a realistic way anyone can confidently scout Mac Jones. One great season working on the most dominant college team of the year, with the most talent surrounding him (blocking, coaching, WRs, run game/passing catching RBs). Was his gaudy output and fancy tape a byproduct of Mac Jones’s greatness or is it all an illusion created by the ‘Alabama advantage’...or if the answer is ‘somewhere in-between’, then where in-between?

Remember – people thought Tua Tagovailoa was the best QB prospect they’d ever seen for two+ years...and he sucks. One year after proclaiming him ‘great’ scouts/analysts are all making scenarios where Miami trades for an available QB somehow, someway. Everyone saw Tua as great...a year later, they have started to turn on him.

Now, those same people LOVE Mac Jones.

You have no reason to believe THOSE same people on anything, especially Alabama QB prospects.

In my initial study, I basically threw my hands up...I do not know/I cannot tell what is real or fake with Mac Jones. It’s like I’m watching/reviewing the movie Inception – it could be whatever you wanted it to be. People saw different things within it.

So, with that as my start point, I studied some more of Jones this past month...and am sharing my latest thoughts.

I got to watch Jones practice at the Senior Bowl for two+ practices before he hurt his ankle and couldn’t go the rest of the week. Again, we have an ‘Inception’ moment...what is real and what is fake from the Senior Bowl for him?

The first two days of practices are the easiest for all Senior Bowl QBs...1-on-1 throws, 7-on-7 drills. All the QBs look good during these events. They usually start to falter in day three/with more 11-on-11 drills but judging them on that is even tough because it’s chaotic plays and players they aren’t used to but also – and they can’t be hit, so it’s not ‘real’ action. Mac Jones was very good those first two ‘fake’ days.

In 11-on-11s, Jones did start to falter...but just as it was about to get more challenging/more reps in practice...he got hurt and had to miss the biggest testing period (the 11-on-11 drills in practice the rest of day three, and ultimately the game). What I wanted to see Jones in the most, the toughest situations...’conveniently’ he was gone.

Jones has led a charmed life – the Alabama surroundings, the favorable Senior Bowl work. It all looks great, but it feels like a Gus Fring (Breaking Bad) situation – the mild-mannered fast-food restaurant owner/manager is really a major/massive criminal. Jones seems so nice and perfect, but my gut wants to say an untested QB prospect flop could be headed our way/hiding in plain sight.

On the other hand – he was the best QB at the Senior Bowl. He handles himself well. You can see moments where you’re like...is this a Joe Burrow, Tom Brady like mild-mannered, average-looking athlete QB who is really a Superhero in hiding?

I saw nice glimpses of Jones at the Senior Bowl, but I also saw his house of cards start to crumble some in 11-on-11s...but he didn’t work enough of them for me to get a great feel.

Still confused, I went back and re-rewatched/re-studied his two toughest games (best defenses, to me) of 2020 – Georgia and Ohio State (the most NFL DBs). I was hoping I might find clarity where I couldn’t get it before.

No clear clarity on these game tapes either. I mean, it’s the same issue...glaring – he has so much time to throw and his WRs are so much faster than the DBs (in general) and he has an ace RB (Najee) to throw passes to as well. He ran/managed a well-oiled machine.

Does the machine get the credit...or the manager of the machine?

Jones could afford to take risks with the ball, at times, because his team was never worried about losing. He could also afford to just throw passes away/into the dirt and comeback to the next play...one play, one possession was not Jones against the world to save the day. Jones played with the confidence that his team was rarely losing nor an underdog, nor lacking firepower for the next play. Jones just had to keep the machine humming...and he did.

Did ‘game managing’ a great offense hide his deficiencies?

Did ‘game managing’ hold him back from showing how good he really is?

I just think back to watching Joe Burrow – that was a guy carrying his team. When I watched Zach Wilson...that was a guy who WAS his offense...playing with 10 other guys who won’t sniff the NFL or be drafted highly/at all. Mac Jones just never strikes me as ‘the key’. I never see him in high pressure/tough situations. Joe Burrow faced one of the toughest schedules I’ve seen from a top QB prospect...and he slayed them all. Jones was the next great QB for a great team in a COVID era where many top players opted-out around the conference(s).

I still don’t know how good Mac Jones is, but I’m open to the fact that he NFL starter-worthy...but I am also fearful, at the end of the day, that he might be another Alabama flop.

In all my years doing this I’ve never been so perplexed and so unsure of a QB scouting grade/report – and I think that is the honest scouting of Mac Jones. I don’t know...and I am not going to force myself to know. There exists too much conflicting scouting data/inputs/notes here for me to really know.

I will say, if forced to make a bet, the more I watch him the more I see Teddy Bridgewater (which my computer models brought to my attention, and I liked it) – a safe, game manager-ish, not bad kinda solid, good leader/teammate kind of quarterback for the NFL. And like Teddy, there will be fanfare coming in...and then in 2-3 seasons when he’s not Justin Herbert or Joe Burrow or Kyler Murray, people will turn on him and look for something more exciting.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm kinda hoping he and Trey go before 20 to take the decision away from the Bear. That said, when he was still a weaker scout team QB playing with backups against the AL #1 d... As a scout team throwing TD bombs against the 1st team D. Saban told him to cut it out. His response? “ Tell your defense to stop it”

His pro days throwing was just OK though his movement was better than expected. His success as with most QBs will come down to his processing but he'll need to be near perfect at it. Hard to bank on but if anyone has the branes for it...

The report mentioned Lance but Trey's team was just as dominant at a lower level and he rarely went through progressions. All the tools in the world but I also didn't find his pro day throws special. However, Lance will be able to get by on physical tools until he acclimates mentally if that's in the cards. Jones needs to be an NFL processor on day one.

Diametrically opposed QBs, both of which deserve consideration but neither should be in the top 3 selections at the position.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Not a draft guy, but I'll just say this:

"low floor" and "high ceiling"

or

"high floor with low ceiling"

are just of the many reasons I think draft analysts are full of shit. Every kid out there working is talented and while there are differences in style, technique and such and such, the only metric that matters is what is in the one square foot between all their ears. Not just smarts but also mental toughness and ability to mentally adapt to different coaching schemes and styles.

And it becomes abundantly clear that some GMs pay too much attention to media draft boards far too much and believe draft grades matter way too much for their own good.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I’m more concerned if someone comparing Jones to Tua than Jones to Burrow. Was never impressed with Tua as a prospect..

shoez90

Liked Posts:
You already wrote Hurts and Tua off after 1 season?
Wrote off no but am I seeing Russell Wilson Tom Brady or even ugh Patrick mahomes uh no. how many greats have come in since Rodgers and Brady hmmm Russell, the mannings, brees, Roethlisberger after that is a hard drop off. Meanwhile dozens of QBs Heisman even have come and gone.