Marcus Stroman opts out

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I think he knew they'd trade him. This can help so much this off season.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Good! I know I was in the minority on this one, but I never thought this guy would opt-in.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Was a bit shocked but he must have known the not wanted sign was hanging and he would be traded asap.

With him and Hayward off the books let's see what Jed CO can pull

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I wonder if he knew he was trade bait if he came back and might be looking for a 1 year prove it deal with somebody else. They'll be teams in on him, but where does he fall on the list of available SP? You have to think Nola, Snell, Yamamoto, Montgomery, and Gray are above him. I'm not putting Ohtani on as he's not pitching next year. Then you have Kershaw who's probably going to sign or should sign a Tim Wakefield type deal with the Dodgers. Then you have a few guys just below who might be willing to sign for cheaper and fewer years. I would put him as the 7th SP without counting Ohtani.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wonder if he knew he was trade bait if he came back and might be looking for a 1 year prove it deal with somebody else. They'll be teams in on him, but where does he fall on the list of available SP? You have to think Nola, Snell, Yamamoto, Montgomery, and Gray are above him. I'm not putting Ohtani on as he's not pitching next year. Then you have Kershaw who's probably going to sign or should sign a Tim Wakefield type deal with the Dodgers. Then you have a few guys just below who might be willing to sign for cheaper and fewer years. I would put him as the 7th SP without counting Ohtani.

It really doesn't matter anymore. He is out and the Cubs have more cash on hand. If they do nothing they still have a decent #5. Assad was not far off from Stroman last year.

Shows that Stro was a 23.666M tax hit that went bye bye.

So the projected tax was 190M. That just went down to 168M. Now Tom said that he would stay around 2023 levels. 2023's tax was 230.807M

That is 60M under now. If what Tom said is true vs hogwash loophole stuff.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
This is amazing news. Not sure why he would do it, because teams saw him pitch like the worst pitcher in baseball in the 2nd half and he's getting older. But gives us some flexibility in free agency ourselves.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Good for both sides, Stroman can get more guaranteed money and the Cubs can shift focus to an actual ace.
I'm not so sure about this being a good idea for Stroman. I think teams are going to be hesitant to give him anything more than a 2 year deal and I'm not sure it'll be for much more than $21,000,000.

Stroman knows his poor performance in the 2nd half cost the Cubs a playoff spot. He's a coward, as demonstrated by his many twitter and clubhouse cancer spats over the years, good to see him run far from this team as well now.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
It really doesn't matter anymore. He is out and the Cubs have more cash on hand. If they do nothing they still have a decent #5. Assad was not far off from Stroman last year.

Shows that Stro was a 23.666M tax hit that went bye bye.

So the projected tax was 190M. That just went down to 168M. Now Tom said that he would stay around 2023 levels. 2023's tax was 230.807M

That is 60M under now. If what Tom said is true vs hogwash loophole stuff.
I think teams are going to know Stroman's first half numbers were a bit of a mirage. He is a ground ball pitcher and the Cubs had the best infield defense in the league by a wide margin in the first half.

As far as the Cubs go, they should target a cost controlled sinker baller and keep in mind they still have that great defense.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think teams are going to know Stroman's first half numbers were a bit of a mirage. He is a ground ball pitcher and the Cubs had the best infield defense in the league by a wide margin in the first half.

As far as the Cubs go, they should target a cost controlled sinker baller and keep in mind they still have that great defense.

60M

I would status quo the rotation. It was better after Stro went down.

That cash I would get into the 3B market. Turner also is on the board so he would be a strong vet presence with a younger core.

After that 1B has to be addressed.

SP wise I can't see Horton held back long. If he comes out strong he could be in the rotation by June.

So I'm ok with depth. A front line is not what they need. I don't see Jed doing it with the resign Hendricks talk. He is using assets that could be used that direction vs taking back a middle to back end guy.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
60M

I would status quo the rotation. It was better after Stro went down.

That cash I would get into the 3B market. Turner also is on the board so he would be a strong vet presence with a younger core.

After that 1B has to be addressed.

SP wise I can't see Horton held back long. If he comes out strong he could be in the rotation by June.

So I'm ok with depth. A front line is not what they need. I don't see Jed doing it with the resign Hendricks talk. He is using assets that could be used that direction vs taking back a middle to back end guy.
I’d probably throw money at Snell. You need an ace to go far in the playoffs. Someone who can shut the door always. Can Steele be that? I hope so, better to have a backup plan.

Yamomoto maybe as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’d probably throw money at Snell. You need an ace to go far in the playoffs. Someone who can shut the door always. Can Steele be that? I hope so, better to have a backup plan.

Yamomoto maybe as well.

Na. I think rotation will be Steele, Taillon, Hendricks, Wicks, Assad in April

Then Jed has a decision with Brown. Is he a set up or a starter or a trade chip.

Horton owned AA in the play offs. I see him in Iowa for a cup. He has ace make up already.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The best way to approach this is by common sense.

What are you missing?

What are you overloaded with

Then look at upgrading current roster.

Right now you could say it boils down to 1B, 3B and maybe CF right now

PCA is not ready and will need Iowa development.

Then is Mervis a legit talent or a Iowa crusher.

So you have to make some hard choices and to be honest common sense says this:

Have you dominated your current level?
Were you overmatched on promotion?
Is it a talent lacking or a adjustment?
What is the peak potential of said player?

That helps with temp fix vs long term fix via trade and free agents

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And on the sphere of speculation rotation trades. Just because they can be fun. I would consider trading with the Sox to get Cease back and send back a solid return of ready and near ready.