Mark Helfrich pumping the brakes on the hype.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000943691/article/mitch-trubisky-still-learning-matt-nagys-scheme

Published: Aug. 1, 2018 at 09:20 a.m.
Mitch Trubisky still learning Matt Nagy's scheme

Herbie Teope
Around The NFL Writer

The offseason excitement over Chicago Bears second-year quarterback Mitch Trubisky gained momentum during organized team activities and minicamp ahead of training camp.

After a less than productive rookie season in an offensive scheme under a different coaching staff, Trubisky transitioned to coach Matt Nagy's quarterback-friendly system and the Bears intend to cut the quarterback loose.

But after more than a week of training camp practices, where Trubisky has thrown interceptions and lacked consistency with throws, offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich pumped the brakes on the hype.

"Obviously, he has turned the ball over too much," Helfrich said, via Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune. "Some of that has been his fault, some of it not, which is usually the case. But the quarterback gets the blame. And so we'll get it fixed. It's so far so good. We’re nowhere -- nowhere -- near where we need to be. But we're ... trending in the right direction."

Trubisky continues to learn Nagy's scheme, which has roots with Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid's version of the West Coast offense. But he also has help in the quarterbacks room, where two former Chiefs signal-callers -- Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray -- are present to assist the educational process.

Still, if Nagy's system comes close to resembling his mentor's scheme, Trubisky must master a complex playbook surrounding language, formations, protections and routes.

The Bears are continuing the installment phase ahead of the regular season, but Trubisky has plenty of experienced bodies to lean on as he works through the early camp issues.

The hope, of course, is for Trubisky to leave training camp and preseason action with a command of the scheme, and then carry it over to when games count against the win-loss column.

"In a game plan situation, he'll know what's coming," Helfrich said, via the Chicago Tribune. "So for a quarterback, you just want an immediate picture in your head of what's going on. One thing to think about, not seven.

"Right now, we're still at that stage where it's, OK, who's at this position? What's my personnel group? What's the snap count? And all the things that take place. It is truly a process right now whereas that will be seamless."

The Bears are coming off 4 - 10 loss seasons in a row which lead the league. It’s time for this rebuild to start producing but it all starts with the QB. He has a month to figure it out.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Again were still 5 and half weeks before we have to play a game that counts, not too worried about it. And I think it wont be until after the bye that we really see what this offense can do.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't have high expectations but the bar was set so low last season I can't see how its possible to do any worse. Should they some way do worse then, ugh, yeah, kill me. Either way I'm still far away from losing my off-season high even with the Roquan contract impasse.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think both coordinators provide a healthy balance to Nagy's eternal optimism. Both tell it like it is.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think both coordinators provide a healthy balance to Nagy's eternal optimism. Both tell it like it is.

He did not really tell us anything. Trubs is still in the learning process. It will take more time, no shit.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
This offense will be Better just on the balance alone. Howard not running into 9 man fronts and always on First down will make this team better.

I know there was a stat out there that the bears ran the ball on Forst down the most of Any team and by a good chunk too, but I believe had a bad 1st down run ypc

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He did not really tell us anything. Trubs is still in the learning process. It will take more time, no shit.

No one's denying that he's still in the learning process. But let's call it like it is- it's a lot of turnovers that none of us want to translate to the regular season, and Helfrich points that out. To be fair to Mitchell, it's also a lot of touchdowns, and contrary to the previous QB, to a variety of players.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
No one's denying that he's still in the learning process. But let's call it like it is- it's a lot of turnovers that none of us want to translate to the regular season, and Helfrich points that out. To be fair to Mitchell, it's also a lot of touchdowns, and contrary to the previous QB, to a variety of players.

Even the turnover are expected while learning a new system and having all new WRs. I don't put stock in early practices or preseason. This is when you want mistakes so you know what needs to be improved upon.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
When did camp interceptions become a thing?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I can't wait to see people here losing their shit after the Bears run-run-pass-punt in preseason.

I'm happy that Helfrich said this. I've been saying all along that i feel all the talk of the Bears doing in 2018 what the Rams did in 2017 is crazy talk and puts a ton of pressure on a young kid like Trubs. Goff played many more games then Trubs did in college and didn't have to deal with J.Fox and D.Loggains calling plays and not letting the kid do shit in his first season in the league. Fisher put Goff out there and let the kid make his mistakes and he made plenty and was considered a bust after his rookie season. Maybe Trubs is the kind of guy that loves pressure and will perform well under it but the reality is that it's most likely gonna take this kid time to first learn to play in this new system and second to learn how to play with his new receivers. I'm just hoping he does learn and by half way through the season the kid is looking like he's gonna be our starting QB for the next 12-15 years.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't it be more worrisome if a 2nd year QB with less than 30 games under his belt and a roster of new receivers mastered the playbook in less than 2 weeks? What would that say about the playbook? And what would that say about our defense?

I wouldn't expect Trubs to feel comfortable with the playbook until the second half of the season. And I wouldn't expect him to master it until well into year 2 or 3 in the system.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't wait to see people here losing their shit after the Bears run-run-pass-punt in preseason.

every pass needs to be 15 yards down the field and always past the first down marker. Never run on first down. Average at least 30 points a game.....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Guys I'm shocked. Two weeks into a new system and they're not where they need to be. This is a complete ducking disaster!

Been more than 2 weeks as he has been learning it all offseason and in OTAs.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys the team's OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR has stated that he'd like to see the interceptions decrease- the guy who breaks down every QB throw in film. This isn't some bum from a message board. It's not being overly harsh or hypercritical to suggest that we don't want those translating to the regular season or that we'd all feel better if there were fewer of them.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
every pass needs to be 15 yards down the field and always past the first down marker. Never run on first down. Average at least 30 points a game.....

So the Matt Barkley era. Minus the points.

Last edited:

Mr. Kyng

Liked Posts:
Wasn't able to watch much of yesterday's game besides highlights. How did he look from what the highlights shown he made some impressive throws. But at the same time I saw too many short field goals.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk