Marlins and Cubs could discuss a swap of big-time prospects

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...ubs-could-discuss-a-swap-of-bigtime-prospects

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Officials from the Cubs and Marlins both agree they may have something to talk about.

The Cubs have a stockpile of high-end position prospects and the Marlins have a long list of fine young pitchers. Prospect-for-prospect deals are rare because they require a strong stomach. Needless to say, such trades carry a big risk.

The Cubs have four huge positional prospects in Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, Albert Almora and Jorge Soler, while the Marlins' list of young pitchers is quite impressive. Beyond Jacob Turner, Nate Eovaldi and no-hitter man Henderson Alvarez who all pitched in the majors this past season, Miami has Andrew Heaney, Justin Nicolino, Adam Conley, Jose Urena and Brian Flynn, among others.

Presumably the Marlins would be most interested in Baez and Bryant since they are infielders, though Bryant may be nearly untouchable. Miami has a decent stash of young outfielders, though Almora, who is from Miami, might be interesting. Last year's draftees like Bryant, the No. 2 overall pick, aren't eligible to be trade until June, too.

The Cubs' pitching list is improved, but there's still a gap between the quality of its top young hitters and pitchers.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
this would be very interesting if it comes about...

one thing tough about this is, youd hate to deal away the wrong prospect that ends up having a pretty good to great career for a one that just ends up being ok or worse...

i could see the cubs moving soler or almora to gain a solid young pitcher, maybe even a vogalbach to gain a pitcher.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
this would be very interesting if it comes about...

one thing tough about this is, youd hate to deal away the wrong prospect that ends up having a pretty good to great career for a one that just ends up being ok or worse...

i could see the cubs moving soler or almora to gain a solid young pitcher, maybe even a vogalbach to gain a pitcher.

I see 0 way they move Almora. First they have no other CF in the pipeline that is close and he also has the lowest floor of any of the guys they have. I could see them potentially moving Soler however if the deal were right. Regardless, I think it'd be much easier to trade Shark and get pitching prospects that way(or Castro for that matter).

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like the idea very much... It's a real ballsy move to make, and if Baez turns into the next Gary Sheffield then...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i think if they do swap prospects it probably would be almora or soler for a major league ready pitcher and then both teams would deal lesser prospects that fits their needs in the system...

i doubt highly they trade baez or bryant and they need as much pitching depth as ever, so being able to do this and trade samardzija and maybe schierholtz would just allow them to add to that depth/weakness in their system..

I see 0 way they move Almora. First they have no other CF in the pipeline that is close and he also has the lowest floor of any of the guys they have

ehhh.. almora is still a good 2-3 years away, he can be replaced for the system in that span of time...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think if they do swap prospects it probably would be almora or soler for a major league ready pitcher and then both teams would deal lesser prospects that fits their needs in the system...

i doubt highly they trade baez or bryant and they need as much pitching depth as ever, so being able to do this and trade samardzija and maybe schierholtz would just allow them to add to that depth/weakness in their system..

ehhh.. almora is still a good 2-3 years away, he can be replaced for the system in that span of time...

Almora is theos first pick as a cubs gm. It would have to be a monstrous haul for him to give him up

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Almora is theos first pick as a cubs gm. It would have to be a monstrous haul for him to give him up

totally agree... i actually feel if such a trade come about, i thimk soler would be their first choice to trade of all their top prospects.

And that player will be 2-3 more years away.

you would hope/think that if they traded away almora who is just 19 and not a sure bet to be their future everyday starting CFer just yet..
that within the next 2 + yrs they would have a regular every day CFer in place on their major league roster, and also draft/trade/international signing of almora type or better CFers for their system..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do not see it.

I expect the guy they would want would be Baez. I wouldn't do it.

Bryant is about untouchable as it gets.

Almora I doubt Theo lets him go. Not to mention he has the tool box that alot of 3000 hit players has. I don't see him delt.

Soler no. They already have a RF that they have to lock up soon enough.

It is interesting talk but there is no way you trade a player that hit 37 HR's in AA ball for any starter. We are talking about trading away a potential superstar for a starter that may or may not impact the game.

VogeBach I doubt he would net anything of high quality. Hendrick's about the type of return I would expect.

The guy I would want to trade out would be Soler.

Regardless this is just stupid talk. What they should be doing is getting Olt and Castro's value up next year and concidering trading them for pitching when their value is peaking vs tossing away the future.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I do not see it.

I expect the guy they would want would be Baez. I wouldn't do it.

Bryant is about untouchable as it gets.

Almora I doubt Theo lets him go. Not to mention he has the tool box that alot of 3000 hit players has. I don't see him delt.

Soler no. They already have a RF that they have to lock up soon enough.

It is interesting talk but there is no way you trade a player that hit 37 HR's in AA ball for any starter. We are talking about trading away a potential superstar for a starter that may or may not impact the game.

VogeBach I doubt he would net anything of high quality. Hendrick's about the type of return I would expect.

The guy I would want to trade out would be Soler.

Regardless this is just stupid talk. What they should be doing is getting Olt and Castro's value up next year and concidering trading them for pitching when their value is peaking vs tossing away the future.

It's all fabricated talk. There is no way the Cubs will do this and give up their prized pupils when they can accomplish the same thing by trading current assets to net them prospects and not lose any of the farm in the mean time.

They could also land Tanaka if they felt the need to and cost them only money, plus they have good upcoming picks once again in the draft for the next two years at least. Time to load up on mainly pitching and some catching, and if the right free agent comes available, pounce on him.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I guarantee that Soler will be a bust. If somebody is dumb enough to give up a top pitching prospect for him -- Do it.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
I wonder if they would prefer to wait on a deal with Miami until midseason next year. By then maybe otl has his value up and we move him with Baez and Bryant being ready by then.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guarantee that Soler will be a bust. If somebody is dumb enough to give up a top pitching prospect for him -- Do it.

Soler is actually a pretty safe prospect. He doesn't have this real low floor. His ceiling could be whatever he wants. Law said he looked like a bigger, faster Puig in the AFL.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
Yeah I don't see Soler as a bust, though if any will, he is the most likely to be one if any of them do bust. The only problem with trading with Miami is they will want Bryant or Baez, and I don't see either being traded for anything less than a young established major league star type player. Baez may not have been someone this front office was high on at first, but I really think they are now. Both he and Bryant are probably untouchable in trades, Almora is probably close to the same. Alcantara, Villanueva, Voglebach, and maybe now Olt are most likely guys they would be willing to move at this point, with Soler somewhere right after that. I'm sure we could put together a good prospect package to get a good young pitcher from them, Turner is the one Iike the most.

Beyond that possible deal, I'd trade Shark to Pittsburgh for Taillon and Tabata. Taillon would give us a very promising power arm, the best young rookie arm we have had since Wood or Prior. Tabata would give us a platoon type in either left or right field. Then I'd trade Castro to St. Louis for Miller, Rosenthal, Kelly, and a lower level prospect. Those two trades would give us Taillon, Miller for the rotation, Rosenthal and Kelly in the pen with the ability to be starters as well. Miller and Taillon heading our rotation, with Rosenthal teaming with Strop as late inning relievers would be nasty as hell.

If we don't deal with St. Louis, then trade shark and Schierholz to Arizona for Bradley, Holmberg, and Eaton. Castro and Barney to Pittsburgh for Neil Walker, Taillon, Heredia, Polanco. We would have Bradley and Taillon in the rotation at some point this year, Heredia in another year or two, Walker at 2b, Eaton in CF, with Polanco in a year or two being ready as well. Baez would be able to stay at SS, Bryant would be the 3b, with Rizzo at 1b, Castillo and catcher. Sign Granderson to play one of the corner OF spots, and if Olt produces at 3b early on, then bring Bryant up to be the RF. By the middle of the year we could have a pretty good, young offense. Eaton and Walker hitting 1-2 would be a pretty good beginning of the lineup, IMO. Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Granderson, Olt, and Castillo rounding out the order.

Wood, Taillon, Bradley, Jackson, and Arrieta would be a very young and promising rotation. There's a lot of young power arms right there, with Wood and Jackson to break them up a bit. Holmberg could compete with Rusin to be that second lefty in the pen, or be trade bait for something else should we begin to make noise in the standings.Trading Shark and Castro with maybe adding a few smaller pieces like Barney and Schierholz could really jump start the rebuild in a big way, even if it takes us this whole next season to groom the kids and get them experience. Polanco, and Heredia would go into the farm system with Soler, Almora, Alcantara, Voglebach, CJ, Johnson and others, being developed and would keep the system growing strong even with Bryant and Baez coming to the bigs. We would be extremely young and promising with more still on the way.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They shouldn't move anyone right now. They need a SP this year and I believe they should just either sign Kaz or Hughes and get it over with.

By the trade deadline next year they should have Baez, Szczur and Alcantara ready to promote. Bryant most likely on top of that. Soler ready for AAA. They will be getting into a surplus of depth and that is when it is time to trade up. Not right now.