Martellus Bennett traded to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Yeah, but Bennett wanted more money:( How dare a guy wanting to make more money:(

Apparently this is the point in the thread where I have to remind you that Martellus Bennett is the one who agreed to his current contract.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Your assumption that Bennett's behavior would improve in his contract year already proved false in Dallas and New York. His contract year in Dallas was the worst year of his career

Was targeted just 26 times behind Romo's fav.... Dude. Just stop.

and he entered his contract year in New York 20lbs overweight.

And had his best year ever to that point as a pro...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Was targeted just 26 times behind Romo's fav.... Dude. Just stop.

And had his best year ever to that point as a pro...

It's difficult to not have your best year to that point as a pro when your yearly average over the first four years was about 200 receiving yards and 1 TD.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Apparently this is the point in the thread where I have to remind you that Martellus Bennett is the one who agreed to his current contract.

So did Urlacher, Briggs, Manning, Brees, Jordan, Farve, Rodgers, and 1000 other players in sports when they came back later and said "I am outplaying my contract."

And regardless....

He was stil under contract, in a contract year.

Either he plays or doesn't get paid.

And if he played and sucked, he doesn't get paid next year.

SAME EXACT THING ALSHON IS DOING THIS YEAR.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
It's difficult to not have your best year to that point as a pro when your yearly average over the first four years was about 200 receiving yards and 1 TD.

Cool. And then we picked him up and he was top 3-5 in the NFL.

Now the team is saying he's only worth a swap of day 3 draft picks.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Correction, the market for Graham was higher. And if you want to talk about getting bent over just look at Seattle.
I'm sorry that we weren't the ones to bend Seattle over, but clearly they weren't buying what we were selling. Because the worst GM in the NFL would have taken that trade.
So lets not pretend Pace had the opportunity and turned it down.
We got exactly what Bennett was worth.

So tell me something. Is that 4th round pick we got back going to be better than a sixth round pick AND Bennett? This is the only damn thing that should from the evaluation of the trade. I predict that Bennett will catch 60 balls for 700 yards and will be a three down tight end in their offense.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
So did Urlacher, Briggs, Manning, Brees, Jordan, Farve, Rodgers, and 1000 other players in sports when they came back later and said "I am outplaying my contract."

And regardless....

He was stil under contract, in a contract year.

Either he plays or doesn't get paid.

And if he played and sucked, he doesn't get paid next year.

SAME EXACT THING ALSHON IS DOING THIS YEAR.

"My entire argument hinges on an assumption about Martellus Bennett that has already proved wrong in the past."

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
how long before racerx brings up his job or rich neighbors?

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Now the team is saying he's only worth a swap of draft picks.

Nah, he's not top 3-5, and the team is saying they're going to get the best they can for him.

Let me ask you, if a player quit in a game against Green Bay in 1987, what do you think the actual Mongo would have done to him?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post

Marshall wasn't even interviewed by Pace or Fox. So how would they know anything about him? Come-on.

Pace privately interviewed a number of Bears veterans about Marshall. All were either ambivalent or against him returning. Not one stood up for him.

Who said that? Where was that ever written? I sure as hell do not recall that ever happening. Then there is this and why I don't believe what you just said. Why would Pace never talk to Marshall about what went down that season? Seems to me that a new GM should be pretty fucking interested in what one of the top three receivers in the entire NFL has to say. TO talk to other players and not talk to Marshall is short-sighted and unfair. Then, not to get a fair return for a top three wide receiver is just STUPID.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Now the team is saying he's only worth a swap of draft picks.

When the Bears signed Bennett he was a 26-year-old coming off a 626yd season. Now he's a 29-year-old coming off an injury-marred 439yd season. Do the math.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Nah, he's not top 3-5, and the team is saying they're going to get the best they can for him.

Let me ask you, if a player quit in a game against Green Bay in 1987, what do you think the actual Mongo would have done to him?

We had a player quit against GB in the 2011 NFCCG and he got a new contract that paid him the most for any player in the NFL.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
So tell me something. Is that 4th round pick we got back going to be better than a sixth round pick AND Bennett? This is the only damn thing that should from the evaluation of the trade. I predict that Bennett will catch 60 balls for 700 yards and will be a three down tight end in their offense.
I predict Bennett will get bench before the season is over and New England won't care because they will still have the best tight end in the league on the field.
So we will have to wait for years to see what our 4th rounder turns into. And keeping in mind the offense we are now running does not feature the pass catching TE as much, there really isn't going to be any real way to look back and compare.
and it's not just a 4th rounder but it's also five million dollars.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
We had a player quit against GB in the 2011 NFCCG and he got a new contract that paid him the most for any player in the NFL.

That's not what I asked Mongo.

And it's not really accurate either.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Who said that? Where was that ever written? I sure as hell do not recall that ever happening

And yet happen it did:

"Prior to Friday morning’s news that Marshall will be traded to the Jets, sources said that Pace and John Fox were dismayed by Marshall’s very public insistence on continuing to fly to New York for his weekly television show, unpleasantly surprised at his on-camera job pandering to Ravens coach John Harbaugh and disappointed that he chose to reveal information from a private meeting at a personal press conference only hours after it occurred. Perhaps most significant, however, were their conversations with teammates who found support for Marshall’s continued presence to be minimal, at best.

Per one source, “No player jumped forward to say, ‘We have to have this guy.'”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03...ndon-marshall-likely-past-point-of-no-return/

Why would Pace never talk to Marshall about what went down that season? Seems to me that a new GM should be pretty fucking interested in what one of the top three receivers in the entire NFL has to say. TO talk to other players and not talk to Marshall is short-sighted and unfair.

Perhaps because he already knew Marshall would portray himself as the victim and that his behavior would not change, thus rendering any such interview pointless.

Then, not to get a fair return for a top three wide receiver is just STUPID.

*Sigh* Once again, the market is whatever the buyer is willing to pay. Ryan Pace got a higher draft pick in return for a depressed asset that the entire league knew he was going to release outright. Your imagined valuation of Brandon Marshall is just unhinged.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I predict Bennett will get bench before the season is over and New England won't care because they will still have the best tight end in the league on the field.
So we will have to wait for years to see what our 4th rounder turns into. And keeping in mind the offense we are now running does not feature the pass catching TE as much, there really isn't going to be any real way to look back and compare.
and it's not just a 4th rounder but it's also five million dollars.

I predict, looking at the actual receiving talent on that team, and assuming both stay healthy. that the NFL will see several new records set for TE combos in the history of the game.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
I predict, looking at the actual receiving talent on that team, and assuming both stay healthy. that the NFL will see several new records set for TE combos in the history of the game.
We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.