Matt Forte Looks Back on 10 Years in the NFL

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Pretty cool interview posted today on SI with Matt Forte as he looks back on his 10 year career. Some interesting insights and he talked about:
  • how he views the evolution of RBs to being multi-dimensional
  • what he liked about the Lovie years
  • how he feels about the current situation with the Bears and the offense in particular
  • contract negotiations and the business side of the NFL
  • difficulties of having new OCs and HCs every few years, etc.

Worth the read but it's a bit long. Link: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/01/matt-forte-retirement-bears-jets-exit-interview

Here's some snippets if you don't feel like reading the whole thing.

THE MMQB: You made a name for yourself as a multidimensional back, part of a sort of revolution of guys who could run the ball and work as a receiver. What was it like to be part of that revolution, and did you see it as one?

FORTE: When I was growing up, the value of the running back was high. Everything was run-heavy. You had Emmitt Smith, and Marshall Faulk who was all-purpose as well. Look at the value that Faulk added to the Greatest Show on Turf because he could run routes like a receiver and had great hands. That’s what I think you have to look at: Does this guy add another dimension to the offense? If you are a great runner, and your opponent is shutting the run down, you aren’t going to have 150 yards every game. If you have an every-down running back, like me, I didn’t care if they were stacking the box, because I would say, alright coach, split me out and if they bring a linebacker or a safety, we’ll deal with the matchup from there. Or free release me out of the backfield where I’m one-on-one. If they’re playing zone, I can catch the ball underneath. If they’re playing man, I got one-on-one routes against these linebackers. It adds another dimension to that offense.
I was happy to be a part of that revolution, as you say, because if it’s a passing league, and the running back is catching the ball, then I’m involved in the passing game. The value is there.

THE MMQB: This year’s draft class was just the third since 2000 to have seven running backs go in the first two rounds, joining your draft in 2008 and the 2010 draft. No draft since 2008 has seen five backs taken in the first round. What do you think of the value of the running back and the prevailing theory that teams can find running backs late in the draft and can handle the position by committee?

FORTE: We had a really good class that year. Some guys are still out there, Jonathan Stewart is still playing, Jamaal Charles is a free agent but he wants to play. One of the best classes I think personally that has come out. I’ve been talking about this since this draft, and the [idea that running backs are devalued] is a shame. We are one of the most valuable assets on offense, because we have to do everything. Tight ends block and catch, but they don’t get the ball as much as the running back does. A receiver catches the ball down the field, and they block in the run game a little bit if they want to, depending on the receiver. I’d get 20 carries and eight catches—that’s 28 times you’ve got the ball in your hands. That’s production and usage right there, so why shouldn’t the value be higher on that?

If you have an all-purpose running back who can play every down and is consistent, you know what you are going to get, day in and day out. The game is about matchups. If you have a team that has really good defensive lineman but their secondary isn’t that good, you want to try to create mismatches in the secondary, and if your running back can catch the ball and run routes like a receiver, then you can do that.

They are watering it down, because they are saying you can get so many running backs and do it by committee, which you can. You can get a guy who is a runner, and a guy who is a catcher and a guy who can block, but for the guys who do it every single down, their value should still be high because of what they add to the team and how much production and work they put in.

THE MMQB: The Bears haven’t had much success since Lovie Smith was fired in 2012. What about the Bears and Lovie worked? Do you think it was a mistake that he was fired when he was?

FORTE: It was that Tampa 2 defense that he had, with one of the greatest linebackers to play the game right in the middle [Brian Urlacher] orchestrating it all. It was a perfect storm to have that. The 2010 season, the defense carried us. They were holding people to 13 points a game. If we can score 17, 21, points we’ll win every game. A lot of people say defense wins championships, but I think it is defense and a balanced offense where you run and throw the ball. Lovie motivated those guys, and they loved playing for him. We had such a great locker room.

A lot of success and failure can come based on decisions made that are out of your hands. Lovie was fired the year we won 10 games, and the crazy thing is the Bears haven’t won close to 10 games since. It’s unbelievable. In the NFL, it is hard to win 10 games, and it ended up we didn’t go to the playoffs with the way it shook out that year, but still, you have to look at the body of work. We won 10 games, and the next season we are still building. It takes time to build these things, and with all the pieces and parts that we already had, to disrupt it and bring in a new head coach, it messes it up. And there are ripple effects. If I could rewind time and go back and make something happen, I wish we would have kept Coach Lovie and added in the draft and free agency and maybe hired a new offensive coordinator. It would have been an awesome thing to have Coach Lovie there and just changing up the offense, because the defense was stacked. We had just got Brandon Marshall that season and the next year we got Martellus Bennett, and we started adding these pieces on offense, but then our defense fell apart. We missed the boat.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its funny how Forte echoes the refrain that was Lovie's downfall... if he only could have found competent OC (and QB - throw that in there). What could have been.

It's true that it is weird to fire a coach after 10 wins but, as we all know, through all those years Lovie never managed to overcome the same problem. Anyone who fuck up the same way over and over is gon get fired. That shit is inevitable.

Joliet Jake

Liked Posts:
It's funny, I miss him and Peanut way more than Urlacher.

Forte and Peanut were/are really great people. Not that Urlacher is not, just that Peanut and Forte were all about footbaw. And being genuinely solid people.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
We had a great team. It sure would of been nice for them to have won a championship together.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not just about coaching. Here are the starting players drafted in this decade and before the current regime. Fuller, Long, Jeffery, O'Donnell, Conte. That's a 5 year haul for an aging team. Conte is lucky as shit and other than started here, guys like Wooten and Wright couldn't make it elsewhere. They only got to play here because we had shit personal at the time. Was Lovie justly fired? If you look at personnel vs play standard on D, no, but when you consider that he had final say in personnel and coaching decisions after his post SB contract and that it was a very significant portion of our decline, you bet because he wasn't giving that up.

Pace walked into a complete disaster of a roster between Vets that wouldn't contribute by the time we were viable, an infighting locker room and no young players to work with. He made some hard choices that many fans didn't like but it's all led to this year and honestly, even those that understand the rebuild think it better fucking start working. This needs to be at least a 7 win team with the arrow pointing up.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
Forte had a good point with Lovie. In hindsight, the team would have been better off with a new coordinator instead of firing Lovie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Forte had a good point with Lovie. In hindsight, the team would have been better off with a new coordinator instead of firing Lovie.

Lovie had PLENTY of time to get the right OC and never did. I don't think he would have ever figured it out.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

We'd have definitely been more respectable but would we have been building towards another SB run? It was time but Teddy fucked it up.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lovie Smith's MO was to always hire coordinators that didn't stand a chance in hell of taking his head coaching job.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
they should have showed some respect and kept him here as a third down back for those measly 3 million instead of letting him go.

mecha

Liked Posts:
they should have showed some respect and kept him here as a third down back for those measly 3 million instead of letting him go.

that would take away being able to complain about receivers. ^_^

that 10 win team didn't beat any winning teams outside the Colts. they were equivalent to the 2015 team that managed 6 wins with Jimmy Pickles playing quarterback and overrated Adam Gase.

Lovie Smith promoted Bob Babich and called the defense himself in some of the worst years for Bears defense (only to be topped by Mel Tucker sometime later). Lovie lucked into a built team and squeezed a couple years of good defenses out of it to make the playoffs a couple times. if you could sum up his tenure, it was fun at times, but the incompetence on offense was strong.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Lovie had PLENTY of time to get the right OC and never did. I don't think he would have ever figured it out.
It didn't help that he constantly underachieved and his job was never deemed safe. They could never get an oc worth a shit to interview here because lovie was always one year away from being canned.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
It didn't help that he constantly underachieved and his job was never deemed safe. They could never get an oc worth a shit to interview here because lovie was always one year away from being canned.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

He was never good enough that you really felt comfortable, but the Bears were always jussssst good enough that they couldn't justify firing him.