McShay sees Bears drafting Stanford tackle and TE

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
ESPN analyst sees Bears taking tackle

In his latest mock draft, ESPN analyst Todd McShay is predicting that the Bears will select Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin with the 19th pick in the first round.

“Martin needs to add some strength, but he could pair with 2011 first-round OT Gabe Carimi to give offensive coordinator Mike Tice a pair of bookends to coach up,” McShay writes.

McShay also believes that the Bears will choose Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen in the second round (50th overall).

The Bears have seven picks in the 2012 draft, one in each round. In Rounds 3-7, they have the 79th, 111th, 150th, 184th and 220th selections.

Think it's just the PR department trying to throw other teams off or are they actually seriously considering all of this? Interesting stuff either way.

Also, what are your thoughts on these mock picks (Martin and Allen)?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not a fan of the TE pick.

I'd rather go DE/CB in first round

OL/CB in 2nd round

WR/CB in 3rd round

I don't think Emery will take a TE that high this year.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why at pick 19 do we have to settle for a guy "who needs to add some strength" ... and be "to coach up" ? Is it too much to ask, that a guy coming into the NFL at pick 19 could be starter ready? Carimi started ( not for long I know) but he came in and started, I didn't hear anyone say Carimi needed to add strength (yes they said he needed to be better at pass blocking, but not add strength).

It is like all these DE's currently being considered. They're all small. Most of them 6'1" to 6'3", 240-260lbs. These guys lose 10lbs and they're LB's not DE's.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Agreed honestly. If Emery is truly serious about winning this year as he has said, then drafting people early to 'develop' seems to counter that idea. I'd rather have one of the many excellent WR's and Nick Perry. Still I think it's good to note that they are taking things very seriously and not just going to draft to develop/back up other positions. I don't expect Emery to make everyone happy in the draft though, so don't jump on the Cloud 9 bandwagon just yet.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't like Martin. He screams RT to me and will be overdrafted. Like Allen but would prefer a DE in either the 1st or 2nd

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
McShay can see himself sucking my nuts.

SweetnessIsGod

Liked Posts:
Why at pick 19 do we have to settle for a guy "who needs to add some strength" ... and be "to coach up" ? Is it too much to ask, that a guy coming into the NFL at pick 19 could be starter ready? Carimi started ( not for long I know) but he came in and started, I didn't hear anyone say Carimi needed to add strength (yes they said he needed to be better at pass blocking, but not add strength).

It is like all these DE's currently being considered. They're all small. Most of them 6'1" to 6'3", 240-260lbs. These guys lose 10lbs and they're LB's not DE's.

I think at 19 we should be able to get an impact guy at a skill position. The DE crop is small that's why I think we should hold off till the second or even third (if someone drops in the second) for a DE. They are all projects at the DE position. We need someone who can step right in and make an impact. That's why I say go WR in the first or OT. CB can help but we don't daft first round corners in the Lovie 2 system. I say:

Floyd (unlikely he falls)
Hill :pray:
Martin

Martin is a bit of a gamble but he would be a starter right away and thats what you need out of pick 19.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
All I know is if Floyd falls to us, and we have Marshall.....fucking a. I will be one happy camper.

JackieJokeMan

Liked Posts:
I dont think Cutler can be stopped if he has Bennett,Marshall,Floyd.

In the second some OL help.

In the third and after that ... go apeshit on DEFENSE.

thedude33

Liked Posts:
I look at the Giants and I say, go for a pass rusher and/or a WR. Those positions can win you a SB. Do not reach for a OT.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not so much OT as it is OL.

Hmm, I'm thinking the middle of the O line is fine. You have Garza at C, with a capable back up in Spencer (who did well at G. last year). We get Lance back at Guard, C. Williams back at Guard, we signed E. Williams to a deal and we picked up 3 other G and C's in the off season.

The issue as I see it, not having a back up/starting (depending upon your view of Webb) Tackle. We ditched Frank O, thank goodness. We do have Lance who can back up RT, but we need a back up LT or someone capable of competing for starting LT. Use Webb as the Swing back up. I'm not 100% confident Carimi will come back at strength. In fact, IF we draft a OT in the first or second round, i'm guessing they looked at Gabe and are worried he isn't coming back 100%.