Medinia DFA'd, Ryan to 40 man to complete castro trade

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Never liked that Castillo deal. My guess though is Medina passes through waivers and is assigned to AAA.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Never liked that Castillo deal. My guess though is Medina passes through waivers and is assigned to AAA.

I kinda agree. pitch framing was the rage and Castillo was the worst or near worst (Think Salty was battling him for worst framer).

All it means is Theo and Jed felt that catcher was a D first position. I can not disagree with the logic. To back it up Arrieta took the next step with better pitch framers.

It is what it is. We can argue on trade value and all but if that is what he was able to net it just speaks volume of what his value was to the league at that moment in time.

Not much.

Sure he rebounded with Azl but that is on hitting which was not a major problem with him. Still what teams value is framing now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I kinda agree. pitch framing was the rage and Castillo was the worst or near worst (Think Salty was battling him for worst framer).

All it means is Theo and Jed felt that catcher was a D first position. I can not disagree with the logic. To back it up Arrieta took the next step with better pitch framers.

It is what it is. We can argue on trade value and all but if that is what he was able to net it just speaks volume of what his value was to the league at that moment in time.

Not much.

Sure he rebounded with Azl but that is on hitting which was not a major problem with him. Still what teams value is framing now.

Well I think trading him how they did basically killed any real shot you had at value. For one, you could have dealt him in the winter when more teams had yet to sign players. Obviously we don't know what offers they had but more teams is more places to raise the bidding. Additionally, you could have waited until closer to the deadline. I don't remember specifics on whether or not someone had an injury. But, trading him in what was it May(?) probably didn't help matters.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well I think trading him how they did basically killed any real shot you had at value. For one, you could have dealt him in the winter when more teams had yet to sign players. Obviously we don't know what offers they had but more teams is more places to raise the bidding. Additionally, you could have waited until closer to the deadline. I don't remember specifics on whether or not someone had an injury. But, trading him in what was it May(?) probably didn't help matters.

I take it his value was too low to get a decent return in the offseason. But too high to kick to wavers.

He was a wasted roster spot. 3 catchers was pretty dumb. Schwarber as a 3rd in depth is fine. But holding 3 that do nothing else was pretty dumb.

So to be "forced" to waste a roster spot due to his "value" was questionable.

The fact is if he is not hitting he becomes a bottom rung catching talent again.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

Not much.

^

Wellington Castillo was useless. An above average bat for a catcher is not worth him being statistically one of the league worst framers and game callers.

A bag of balls was worth more than Castillo. Let Arizona dick around in letting him catch.

Castillo's defensive runs saved in 2015 in 71 games at catcher? -17. He's garbage.

Castillo was ranked 92nd among active catchers in 2015 in terms of defensive metrics according to ESPN.